Colorado Springs - 10/15 to 10/18

• HTML tutorial

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

My best friend (we called him Pudge) passed away almost 2 years ago. When we met, we were dating sisters. We eventually married (and divorced) the sisters but we remained very close. He was 3 years older than me and as a 13-year old, I looked up to him. He taught me how to ride motorcycles, 4 wheel drive, ski, and so many other things. Pudge and his 2nd wife, Debbie, and me and my 2nd wife would take several vacations a year. Our favorites vacations were riding our HD motorcycles through the Rockies.

Pudge loved Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Before he got sick, he would talk about moving to one of those states. In a couple of weeks, we are meeting Debbie in Colorado Springs and we plan on spreading his ashes in the mountains near there. I am sure he would approve of what we have planned.

We are looking for a 4X4 Trail that will get us to a secluded, beautiful, peaceful place to spread the ashes and to put down a small stone with his name on it. We will be solo so a medium-hard trail is about all I want to tackle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
-B

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Lots of trails break off of “Gold Camp Road”. Red Rock down near Canon City has some great places as well.
@neal A. Tewis a great resource for the area. He is the Rocky Mountain Director and lives in Pueblo West.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I haven't attempted the hard trails down here, but there is Metberry, Hackett, and Longwater Gulches if you want to attempt a hard trail. For moderate trails, you have trails like Schubarth that gives you a really nice overlook of the Air Force Academy at the end and will test you in the more rockier sections on the way back. My go-to trails usually ends up being Hotel Gulch to Winding Stairs and Mt. Baldy, both of which are on the easier side, but are really nice for getting some views. We also did Four Mile Area (if you're up for a drive to get there, Buena Vista) and those views are awesome, but on the easier side.

Metberry, Hacket, Longwater: Metberry, Hacket, Longwater Gulch

Schubarth: Schubarth Trail

Hotel Gulch to Winding Stairs: Hotel Gulch to Winding Stairs

Mt. Baldy: Mt. Baldy

Four Mile Area: Four Mile Area - Buena Vista

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Thanks! A really great view of the peaks and valleys is what we are looking for. Someone recommended China Wall. I think there is a bypass for the hardest parts?
-B