Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Park Falls, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Ruhs
Member #

Thanks to everyone who made it to the December Colorado Front Range MeetUp - great to see you all.
We made some progress on planning trips for 2018 - happy to share and include anyone who is interested. We've got a shared Google Calendar set up for planning purposes and will likely post events to the Rally Point section on OB.
If you want to be in on some of the planning please PM me and we'll make sure you're added to the Google Calendar and email list.
If you'd rather just see what trips and trails we plan to hit - stay tuned.

Heads Up - We will announce a January MeetUp OR Day Trip weather depending. Our Next MeetUp will likely be in the north Denver metro suburbs as we continue to move the location around the area to make it fair to all.
Looking forward to January details. New to OB and would like to meet up. ~ Michael

Reactions: Boort

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Hey all-
I'm just realizing I've got a pretty packed schedule for the next few weeks and with the Super Bowl right around the corner, I'm not going to plan a January MeetUp. I will put together info soon on a Feb MeetUp so keep an eye out for that.

MichaelR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Ruhs
Member #

Thanks for the update, Gary. Looking forward to meeting folks in the group and learning. Applied my Overland badge (9565) to my '17 T4R Off Road yesterday (new 4R after rolling my 3rd gen off Ophir Pass last summer).

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Thanks for the update, Gary. Looking forward to meeting folks in the group and learning. Applied my Overland badge (9565) to my '17 T4R Off Road yesterday (new 4R after rolling my 3rd gen off Ophir Pass last summer).
How did you accomplish that? I was on Ophir at the end of June and drove by a forrest green Vehicle that had gone off the road on the east side of Ophir Pass.

MichaelR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Ruhs
Member #

Oh, I feel for the owner of the green vehicle. Rolling off the trail is horrifying. My wife and I are happy to have survived. Spent the night in a Durango hospital after Silverton FD/Rescue recovery. After a day of traveling the Alpine trial, we were challenged to find an empty camping spot due to the 4th holiday weekend. Just about to leave Ophir for the pavement, we saw a spur and decided to check it out for a spot. Moments later, we were stopped by a rock slide. With no room to turn around we were forced to back out. As we did so, very slowly, we passed a "V" in the trail which was off camber. I got the rear passenger wheel high on the inside and with barely a moment to realize what had happened, we rolled. My wife was pinned, having had her arm slip out the sunroof as the 4Runner came to rest on it's top. I broke my arm, she lost the tip of her index finger. We were very beat up and stitched up, but alive. I'm a rescue/recovery diver, so was able to use my rigging training to secure and then lift the vehicle enough to free her arm. At that moment, Silverton rescue showed up and took over. We are very grateful to be alive to tell the story... a bad story, with a happy ending. We married 4 weeks later and went on honeymoon overlanding in a land rover in Iceland. We're looking forward to meeting folks in the group.

Reactions: Boort

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Oh, I feel for the owner of the green vehicle. Rolling off the trail is horrifying. My wife and I are happy to have survived. Spent the night in a Durango hospital after Silverton FD/Rescue recovery. After a day of traveling the Alpine trial, we were challenged to find an empty camping spot due to the 4th holiday weekend. Just about to leave Ophir for the pavement, we saw a spur and decided to check it out for a spot. Moments later, we were stopped by a rock slide. With no room to turn around we were forced to back out. As we did so, very slowly, we passed a "V" in the trail which was off camber. I got the rear passenger wheel high on the inside and with barely a moment to realize what had happened, we rolled. My wife was pinned, having had her arm slip out the sunroof as the 4Runner came to rest on it's top. I broke my arm, she lost the tip of her index finger. We were very beat up and stitched up, but alive. I'm a rescue/recovery diver, so was able to use my rigging training to secure and then lift the vehicle enough to free her arm. At that moment, Silverton rescue showed up and took over. We are very grateful to be alive to tell the story... a bad story, with a happy ending. We married 4 weeks later and went on honeymoon overlanding in a land rover in Iceland. We're looking forward to meeting folks in the group.
I am very glad to hear that your story has a happy ending. Congratulations on the getting married.

I was with an overlanding group and we stopped for lunch at the Ophir trailhead. While we were eating lunch a bunch of emergency vehicles went screaming up the trail. After an hour they reopened the trail, having not found the driver at the scene. I am assuming the drive was picked up or walked out of the trail. If you very not looking for the vehicle you would not have seen it.

I am interested to hear about your trip to Iceland, I have seen expedition YouTube videos; it is definitely on my bucket list.

Reactions: MichaelR

MichaelR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Ruhs
Member #

Happy to share re: iceland. I’d definitely do it again. The backcountry is beautiful, desolate and a little bit like what is must be like on the moon. The lava flows have really shaped the tera forma.

Looking forward to meeting you at the next meeting, if you’re able to make it. Don’t know when that is, but keeping an eye out for the announcement.

Last edited:

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Here we go - Heads up I'll be posting the next Front Range Overland MeetUp info shortly - I'll come back to this string with a link to the Rally Point info as well as a link to the Facebook group event

Reactions: MichaelR

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign