US Rocky Mountain Colorado Front Range Camp out Meetup

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Lets get together for some Camping, Exploring and getting to know one and other. I am planning on arriving Thursday afternoon to secure our campsite. I will be leaving for home first thing Sunday (son's b-day Sunday), Planning on doing this spot as our base camp and exploring the 4-mile and Collegiate Peak area.
With in the 4-mile there is a mild trail system suited for every rig and drivers ability. It will be a great area for beginners to explore and get comfortable with off road travel. Some may want to explore some of the high altitude passes such as TinCup, Hancock and Mnt Antero all exceptional trails that are a little more demanding. Saturday morning I figure that we can run trails in 2 groups of 5 rigs according comfort level. This will be a better way to explore rather than clogging things up with 10 rigs together on one trail.

View Rally Point

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Ok I have tried to get this right but struggling with getting the coordinates to load correctly.
But the camp spots coordinates are 38.89157146,-106.12078178 on google maps. Thanks David

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Ok I have tried to get this right but struggling with getting the coordinates to load correctly.
But the camp spots coordinates are 38.89157146,-106.12078178 on google maps. Thanks David
Great job! We appreciate all your effort!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Note; I have tried to edit this rally point but for some reason it won't load to do so.
This area is just east of Buena Vista Co. in the 4-mile recreation area.
Meet-up spot coordinates are 38.89157146,-106.12078178 Subject to change if location is occupied when I get there. Hope this post will help clarify the location.

TailsofWanderlust

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Cass
Last Name
Beach
Member #

I just joined Overland Bound and will be in CO in a couple of weeks. Is there a date for this Meetup? Sorry if I missed it just learning the ins and outs of this app!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I just joined Overland Bound and will be in CO in a couple of weeks. Is there a date for this Meetup? Sorry if I missed it just learning the ins and outs of this app!
Welcome!

It's the last weekend in June in Buena Vista, CO.

Here's the Rally Point info: Colorado Front Range Camp out Meetup
Please RSVP if you think you can make it.

How long will you be in CO?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Now if I can get my rig ready in time. (I am hoping to lead the stock height vehicles on the easy trails and have Neil lead the other group on the more challenging ones), Otherwise I will just be hosting this Hiking and hanging out around the base camp with my dog. No matter It's going to be fun Time. I hope those high mountain trails open up by that weekend.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Now if I can get my rig ready in time. (I am hoping to lead the stock height vehicles on the easy trails and have Neil lead the other group on the more challenging ones), Otherwise I will just be hosting this Hiking and hanging out around the base camp with my dog. No matter It's going to be fun Time. I hope those high mountain trails open up by that weekend.
I'm driving a full size stock truck myself.

I've only done Aspen Ridge and Mt Antero. Aspen was dry and only needed 2wd. Antero required some 4wd, but wasn't bad except for the pucker factor of high elevation shelf roads.

303JETSET

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Totten
Member #

I’ll be in my mostly stock Power Wagon.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

From what I have read, all the high mountain pass trail may not open for a while. A lot of them have avalanche debris along the routs that will require lots of work to open. but I am sure there will be something great to explore.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
From what I have read, all the high mountain pass trail may not open for a while. A lot of them have avalanche debris along the routs that will require lots of work to open. but I am sure there will be something great to explore.
There should still be plenty to do. It'll sure beat sitting on the couch!

Here was the status from CORE a few days ago:

Trail Report - 5/19/19
*Please read the full report*
All of Fourmile North - Open
All of Fourmile South - Open
Aspen Ridge - Open
Chinaman Gulch - Open
Carnage Canyon - Open
Mineral Basin - Open to just past the Green Timber Gulch Trailhead with snow on the road.
Tincup Pass - Closed due to Forest Order
Hancock Pass - Closed/not accessible
Kelly Flatts - Open
**We report on, and around, our adopted trails first. If we get credible information concerning other popular trails, we will include them in future reports. If you don't see a trail listed, we don't have a conditions report or you simply can't get to the trailhead yet. These reports are from first hand accounts and are accurate on the day published. 'Open with snow on the road' means, to get to the point in the update you have to drive, on trail, through snow. This is not recommended for stock vehicles, know your limits. Conditions are constantly changing, and more snow is in the forecast for the next 2+ days. If/when you venture out, do not go off-trail to go around snow. Stay the Trail at all times.**

Reactions: JDGreens

TailsofWanderlust

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Cass
Last Name
Beach
Member #

Really excited to meet everyone! This will be my first meetup with the group.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
What are the roads like getting into the site? If there is room and the roads aren’t too terrible yes. I usually boondock in it on BLM. Otherwise my 4Runner is still set up for Camping. Also, dog friendly?
I asked because there is one spot that might concern you getting to the proposed camping spot. However, there are multitudes of camping spots. When @JDGreens and I get there on Thursday we'll try to be mindful of the situation. Also, there are enough folks RSVPing that we might need a bigger site anyway. Good problem!

I will also have a canine companion.

Reactions: Boort

TailsofWanderlust

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Cass
Last Name
Beach
Member #

I asked because there is one spot that might concern you getting to the proposed camping spot. However, there are multitudes of camping spots. When @JDGreens and I get there on Thursday we'll try to be mindful of the situation. Also, there are enough folks RSVPing that we might need a bigger site anyway. Good problem!

I will also have a canine companion.
I tried responding earlier but not sure if it went through so trying again. Definitely a good problem! And no worries If a spot is at available to fit it. I’ll have a place to leave the RV in Salida and can camp in the truck if needed. Just let me know.