Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Hello,
Bought the converter for my Coleman stove so I can run it on propane. Used it for the first time this weekend and noticed the control became all iced up while the stove was running. Has anyone else experienced this? Just worried it was leaking.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Propane is super cold and will do that when it is being used. It also does it when the fuel company is filling your tank up. Hint, you can also use the frost line on the side of the tank as a fuel gauge to see how much is inside the tank.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Any gas under pressure absorbs heat as the pressure is released which when humidity is right will frost the tank or regulator.

Reactions: Bjorn and Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Yup normal. Propane is stored as a liquid (it's a liquefied petroleum gas). This is how you get so much energy stored in a 1lb bottle of propane. As you use the gas off the top the liquid converts into more gas to take it's place. This is why you can't use a propane tank upside down and if you use the refil kit to fill your 1lb tanks off of your at home grill propane tank you have to invert the full tank.

Reactions: Bjorn and Graeman