Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I'm looking for a recommendation of a decent / somewhat budget friendly cold weather sleeping bag. Figure I should be looking at the $100 - $150 range. I'd like to able to sleep comfortably at 20°.

My current bag is an Outdoor Vitals Synthetic, rated at 35°. Layered in clothes and a blanket, I was ok at 40° but freezing at 24°. I have the option of sleeping in my 4Runner, a tent, or a hammock. Also, just added a Woolly Mammoth wool blanket to my gear.

What would you recommend?

Last edited:

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I love my Big Agnes Whiskey Park. I'm a big guy, so having a big bag rated down to 0° is awesome. I've actually slept in it down to 28° or so in nothing but my boxers, so I think that, unlike most bags, it's temperature rating is rather accurate.

Reactions: soonersfan

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Regardless of what you get, you can’t go wrong with one of the $20 down blankets from cosco. There’s a lot of folks doing some cool DIY stuff with these, but if nothing else you can use it to supplement your current sleep system.

I’ve switched to quilts over bags, and this one is a bit of both. Heck of a deal. Ad a cosco blanket and I bet you’re good to 20 degrees with good insulation underneath you.

Search amazon for AEGISMAX. Whenever I paste the link here tapatalk mangles it.

Last edited:

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I love my Wiggys bag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app
Another vote for Wiggy's. Too big for backpacking, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are camping out of a vehicle. It is the warmest one you will find. It is basically two bags that zip into each other.

My friend raves about his Big Agnes bag, but I don't have any direct experience with it.

And don't forget about some of the other "tricks" mentioned above. Insulation below you, a wool blanket as insulation, basically like adding layers to your clothing system. Snuggling with your Siberian huskies keeps you pretty warm too. :)

Reactions: OKT4RCPL

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I'm with @Cort on this one. I've used this system my entire career. Beats the old Canvas bag we were issued many years go. The new sleep system is by far the best bang for your buck. I normally just use an Army Poncho Liner, but when it's cold out I'll use the sleep system.

Reactions: Quicksilver

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I'm with @Cort on this one. I've used this system my entire career. Beats the old Canvas bag we were issued many years go. The new sleep system is by far the best bang for your buck. I normally just use an Army Poncho Liner, but when it's cold out I'll use the sleep system.

Go Night Stalkers!

Reactions: soarvet

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

I'm looking for a recommendation of a decent / somewhat budget friendly cold weather sleeping bag. Figure I should be looking at the $100 - $150 range. I'd like to able to sleep comfortably at 20°.

My current bag is an Outdoor Vitals Synthetic, rated at 35°. Layered in clothes and a blanket, I was ok at 40° but freezing at 24°. I have the option of sleeping in my 4Runner, a tent, or a hammock. Also, just added a Woolly Mammoth wool blanket to my gear.

What would you recommend?
I have a blackpine grizzly -25 2 person canvas (I think) sleeping bag in my RTT. They also have it as a 1 person. It makes a great mattress pad in warmer weather and can keep you nice and toasty in cooler temps. I've only been down to mid to high 30s I think, but I slept in shorts and short sleeves comfortably.

Looking on Amazon the 1 person is 125 and the 2 is 175. Hits right around your budget numbers.

I also have the sleeping system. Can't go wrong with that either, though I found it a little tight and hard to turn over in. It will keep you warm and dry, depending on how you have it set up. Best is it's adjustable, warmer weather you don't have to use all the layers.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

...though I found it a little tight and hard to turn over in.
Do you have the older one with the woodland camo outer bivvy? The newer ones we got issued are a few inches wider and a few inches longer. Doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference. I have the woodland one, but have been thinking about getting a newer one for the extra room. I hate the ACU pattern though, so I'm waiting for the multicam ones to start popping up on ebay for a reasonable price.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Pick up a us army sleep system off eBay. Usually around $100 and includes a goretex bivy bag, outer and inner bag. Hands down the best system for the money.
I'll piggy back off the modular bag idea.

I have a Coleman 40 degree bag that I added a fleece bag liner to. I'm able to use one bag all summer with the liner under me and using the liner bought me a solid 10+ degrees of warmth. I've had id down to around freezing and been plenty warm.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Do you have the older one with the woodland camo outer bivvy? The newer ones we got issued are a few inches wider and a few inches longer. Doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference. I have the woodland one, but have been thinking about getting a newer one for the extra room. I hate the ACU pattern though, so I'm waiting for the multicam ones to start popping up on ebay for a reasonable price.
I don't know which I have, my guess is the older one. Mine is grey with the acu pattern. I've had it for 5 or so years I think. That's why I think it's the older one you mentioned.

The grizzly 2 person bag on the roof tent is great, but I still have my sleeping system bag for when I don't use the RTT. I'd love to see the larger one. How can you tell the difference?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I have a Colman omni heat bag and have been comfortable down to 30 degree in a hammock with a base layer and thick socks on , only thing I don't really care for is the zipper seems to stick alot making it hard to unzip

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I don't know which I have, my guess is the older one. Mine is grey with the acu pattern. I've had it for 5 or so years I think. That's why I think it's the older one you mentioned.

The grizzly 2 person bag on the roof tent is great, but I still have my sleeping system bag for when I don't use the RTT. I'd love to see the larger one. How can you tell the difference?

Yeah, I have the older woodland one. The ACU one is the slightly larger one. The only way to tell by looking at it is the color/camo. The older smaller systems have the black and green bags with the woodland bivy, and the newer larger systems have the grey and foliage bags with the ACU bivy. The ACU systems are an inch or two longer, and 3 or 4 inches wider than the woodland. I got out before they started issuing multicam, so I don't know if they made any changes in size to those.

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Yeah, I have the older woodland one. The ACU one is the slightly larger one. The only way to tell by looking at it is the color/camo. The older smaller systems have the black and green bags with the woodland bivy, and the newer larger systems have the grey and foliage bags with the ACU bivy. The ACU systems are an inch or two longer, and 3 or 4 inches wider than the woodland. I got out before they started issuing multicam, so I don't know if they made any changes in size to those.
Wow, I'd hate to see this smaller. Sounds like I have the slightly larger one. Guess that's good. I think I got it off ebay. Has 3 sleeping components and 2 bags, 5 pieces all together. Impressive how small you can compress everything, as big as it comes out being.

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

Pick up a us army sleep system off eBay. Usually around $100 and includes a goretex bivy bag, outer and inner bag. Hands down the best system for the money.
I talked to another Cub Scout dad this afternoon, and he agreed with using this sleep system. He gave me this site for buying the Sleep System at Midway USA. I'm not really into the camo colors but it's a sleeping bag, and needed to keep me warm. So this may be my choice. Thanks!

Traveler I

My friend had recently bought a sleeping bag. He had bought it online and he got a good discount. You can also search online as there are more varieties and offers available.