Cold weather blues....

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Anyone else having the cold weather blues?? It is 0 degrees out and wind chill is -10.. Can't really do much. No camping, no working on the rig.... I am soooo ready for warmer weather!

Reactions: NorthStar96

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

yep, I got em too. -6 below zero here and all I wanna do is sleep in my woobie. thinking I need to roust myself and plan some short little weekend trips for this spring and make arrangements online, just to get ready.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I am soooo ready for warmer weather!
Ha, how can you complain about this weather. It was in the 50s and 60s just a week or two ago. In January! For us, that's a gift!

Window shop new vehicles (something I do frequently), read a book on someone else's adventure, plan your next trip or route, study and take your HAM license test, watch other people having fun overlanding on YouTube. Or play with your kids, read them a book, help your wife with something, take her out to dinner. Lots of fun things to do on these cold winter nights! :smirk:

Reactions: SLO Rob

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I spend a TON of time with my boys...they are a blast. But, I am referring to more along the lines of Overlanding. Can't do much in this weather, to cold to install my lights, roof rack, switches...etc... My wife and I go out once a week to a movie or date night just the two of us. I currently have an addiction to Roadkill (Hotrod magazine channel on YouTube). I just wanna be outside. My job is all about the outdoors (John Deere) so this weather and being stuck in my office is no fun at all for me!!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

LOL Well, I can't help with the office thing. ;) OK, then, embrace the winter! Go sledding, or get some snowshoes or cross-country skis. Ice fishing in a nearby pond, winter hikes are wonderful and no mosquitos, winter photography can create some dramatic images.

Try your hand at winter camping, even if only in the backyard. Get out your stove and try to start it with heavy gloves on. Build a fire and roast some potatoes in the coals while making hot chocolate. Test those hand warmers that have been in the truck for 5 years to see if they still work. Intentionally get stuck in the snow in the yard and try getting out using found objects. That way, you can always grab a sheet of plywood as a last resort.

Lots of things to do outside in the winter!

Reactions: Iubootgater

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I know it's terrible isn't it. We are only supposed to get to the mid 50s tomorrow and won't be back into the 70s for a couple of days :astonished::grinning:

Reactions: Steve

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

LOL Well, I can't help with the office thing. ;) OK, then, embrace the winter! Go sledding, or get some snowshoes or cross-country skis. Ice fishing in a nearby pond, winter hikes are wonderful and no mosquitos, winter photography can create some dramatic images.

Try your hand at winter camping, even if only in the backyard. Get out your stove and try to start it with heavy gloves on. Build a fire and roast some potatoes in the coals while making hot chocolate. Test those hand warmers that have been in the truck for 5 years to see if they still work. Intentionally get stuck in the snow in the yard and try getting out using found objects. That way, you can always grab a sheet of plywood as a last resort.

Lots of things to do outside in the winter!
Been wanting to try a coal bed camp for years, just not had a chance, basketball season here in Indiana so one has to have priorities. Have been using these cold days to work on my bit of winter kit, now just have to get out and do it.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I remember camping at Ft. Benjamin Harrison, when I was in the Boy Scouts. -20 during the day. It had snowed a week or so before, about a foot. Then it had warmed up above freezing, then dropped below zero for our "camporee". Got in a snowball fight with some fellow scouts. But the top layer of snow was about three inches of ice from the thaw and refreeze. Got hit in the eye and didn't even need a ice pack. Never even got red. Still have the patch somewhere... (Camporee patch)...

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

A few years ago, our local National Park (then a National Recreation Area) put on a winter camping clinic. Go to the three classes, and you get to hike into and camp in the park (which has no camping allowed.) It was going to be a family thing, but turned bitter cold, so Deb and daughter stayed home. The overnight low ended up being -5°F, one of those nights that you can hear every little crunch. All evening we made hot chocolate over the fire, and I had a hot water bottle in the foot of my doubled sleeping bag. Too much hot chocolate meant too many trips to the ports potty they brought in. Man was it cold getting up out of that bag!

During the night, a band of coyotes came into camp sniffing around the tents. I was in a little one-man with a vestibule, so I couldn't see out, but it sounded like one was inches from my tent. I'd love to ave seen them!

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm looking forward to this blizzard coming upon us. This is the first year in over 25 years that I do not have to be out driving around in it. One year, not too long ago, I piled up over 35,000 miles on snow covered roads. I used to run Canada a lot, Halifax, Montreal, Q'City, Toronto, Barre' etc. So finally, I can stay home, and fine tune plans for our southwest trip beginning March 2nd, and have a few nips of our stash of single malt..

Reactions: Steve

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Been wanting to try a coal bed camp for years, just not had a chance, basketball season here in Indiana so one has to have priorities. Have been using these cold days to work on my bit of winter kit, now just have to get out and do it.

Hey!! A fellow Hoosier!! I am just about 2hr north of Greenwood..