Cobra 29xl. Junk?

• HTML tutorial

Ric

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Walnut creek, ca
Member #

so I bought a cb... and it transmits but will not receive... is it junk, or something I've possibly done wrong?

Ric

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Walnut creek, ca
Member #

Yup setting are all correct.... I'm thinking it's defective
From what I have heard, there are a lot of issues with this model.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Try plugging in an external speaker. A friend had the same problem turns out on his the onboard speaker was messed up. He didnt mind at that point since he planned to run the external speaker anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

Rivalicon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint Augustine, FL
Member #

I have one and I have to say huge disappointment. I had to spend several hours just to get to work. 5 mile is an understatement. Good luck. I’m thinking of switching to a ham radio.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Ric

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Walnut creek, ca
Member #

So I tried an external speaker.... nothing
I can get the weather broadcast on it.... I just can't receive. I do know it transmits tho
Looks like it's going in the trash
Anyone have any recommendations on a decent CB?

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I prefer galaxy over cobra. I currently have a galaxy 949 (not in rig). I have had it for about 6 years and has been flawless since day one. I like the adjustments on the galaxy's better the knobs seem to fine tune better than cobra atleast for me. I would recommend a better mic tho.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
Following. I just got an lx bt also.. haven't installed it yet. Am going to run rabbit ears through my rig, if possible. What type of antenna? How do you have it setup in your rig (just curious)?

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I personally like Cobra / Uniden over any of the export boxes like Galaxy. The older the unit the better...anything that says China on it is junk...I personally don't get anything unless it says Taiwan, Philippines or Malaysia. I have in my personal collection: 148-GTL, 148F-GTL, 2000-GTL (base station), 138-XLR, 139-XLR (base station), 29-LTD and 25-LTD. I run a Wilson 1000 or 5000 whip antenna over the Firestix and can reach out 10-15 miles no problems. The best thing to do is find a real radio tech and not use the truck stop golden screw driver techs...they will butcher a radio. I use a guy in PA and he does fantastic work aligning all my radios and tech needs...I get nothing but awesome reports back on radio clarity.