Cobra 19DX IV volume very low? Help!

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

I own a Cobra 19 DX IV, and I've been using it without flaws with a Midland magnetic mount Antenna. I only plug in the mic and put the antenna up on top of the roof when I go wheeling, and remove it shortly after wheeling, since I park my truck in a parking structure everyday. I'm past my warranty period so I'm a bit SOL. Anyways, this past weekend, I went wheeling, and set up the mic and antenna as I usually do. After I turned on my CB, and did a radio check with my group, I noticed that the volume was VERY dim. I couldn't hear anything unless I moved my head right next to the speaker. Even then, I could barely hear them saying anything. I went to make sure my volume was on high, and it was. Then I checked my RF gain, which was at 0, so, I adjusted the knob to Max gain slowly, and I could hear them a bit better, but it was barely any change... My Squelch was also at 0.
Does anyone know how I can diagnose this?

Thanks

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Check to see if there is an external speaker jack on back. This is a switched jack so when you plug in an external speaker it disables the internal speaker, some times it gets dirty and dosent make a good connection. Get a set of earphones and plug it in and out of the jack a couple of times to see if it helps, also check your audio through the earphones to see what the audio is like. I have seen this symptom on guitar amp effect loop jacks, especially in Marshalls. Could be a couple of other things also, let me know how you make out. Go to Home Depot , and get a can of CRC 2-26 electrical contact cleaner/lube and shoot some in the jack and also your mic connector. Dont use WD-40.

Last edited:

Influencer II

Check to see if there is an external speaker jack on back. This is a switched jack so when you plug in an external speaker it disables the internal speaker, some times it gets dirty and dosent make a good connection. Get a set of earphones and plug it in and out of the jack a couple of times to see if it helps, also check your audio through the earphones to see what the audio is like. I have seen this symptom on guitar amp effect loop jacks, especially in Marshalls. Could be a couple of other things also, let me know how you make out. Go to Home Depot , and get a can of CRC 2-26 electrical contact cleaner/lube and shoot some in the jack and also your mic connector. Dont use WD-40.
I'll give this a shot and get back to you! Thanks!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

The same thing happened to mine...Now it keeps blowing fuses. I can’t figure anything out, would love to hear if you get it fixed

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
If its blowing fuses and they are the correct size you have a major issue. Hope its under warranty.

Influencer II

So I gave this a shot today (both with headphones and electric contact cleaner) with no changes to the loudness of the CB.

Eurasian

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Spyrou
Member #

It could be the antenna or the coax, can your friends here you well when you transmit? Do you have an SWR meter to test the coax and antenna?

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

AFAIK, my friends can hear me clearly when I transmit. But I might need to test this again...

Yes, my SWR meter read ~1.2.
see you can get some of the 2-26 in the volume control and turn it back and forth a couple of times. If you or one of your buddies have an external speaker try that so it will eliminate a bad speaker. Pop the lid and shoot some 2-26 on the connector going from the board to the speaker. When you have the lid off there will be small screws on the corner of the circuit board that mount it to the metal chassis make sure they are tight

Last edited:

Influencer II

see you can get some of the 2-26 in the volume control and turn it back and forth a couple of times. If you or one of your buddies have an external speaker try that so it will eliminate a bad speaker. Pop the lid and shoot some 2-26 on the connector going from the board to the speaker. When you have the lid off there will be small screws on the corner of the circuit board that mount it to the metal chassis make sure they are tight
I've tried turning the volume knob multiple times to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I'll try opening up the lid, and report back. Thanks!

Reactions: Flipper