Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
We will be picking up our new off road camper in a couple weeks and we are hoping to try it out a few times this winter. What are your go to spots in CO that are not snowed in?

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Come to southern Colorado. The Sangre de Christo mountains have no snow yet. Hermit Pass outside of Westcliffe is gorgeous right now. The sunsets are incredible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
We have no snow in Custer county. You can get out on some nice trails in the Sangre de Christo mountains. There is plenty of dispersed camping up there. The roads are mostly dry, but some trails like Hermit Pass have sheets of ice that would be hard to get by. Just depends on how challenging you want.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
We have no snow in Custer county. You can get out on some nice trails in the Sangre de Christo mountains. There is plenty of dispersed camping up there. The roads are mostly dry, but some trails like Hermit Pass have sheets of ice that would be hard to get by. Just depends on how challenging you want.

Id be hauling my trailer so dry roads are definitely a must right now. Just picked her up and no risk with her yet :) Any suggestions on dispersed camping in the area?

Attachments

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Hermit Pass has some great spots lower down, also the road to Rainbow lake has a bunch. They are both really rocky, but easy. We have snow forecast for this weekend, but it won't be much. Be sure to check out Westcliffe, it is a cool town.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Hermit Pass has some great spots lower down, also the road to Rainbow lake has a bunch. They are both really rocky, but easy. We have snow forecast for this weekend, but it won't be much. Be sure to check out Westcliffe, it is a cool town.

I take it both are cool with the trailer?

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Either will be mildly challenging with a trailer. As long as the trailer has as much ground clearance as the truck, and you go slow, it should be fine. Hermit has less switchbacks, and there are some good spots below Hermit Falls. I would recommend airing down truck and trailer to smooth out the ride. There are some switchbacks on the road to Rainbow lake that have some snow, so maybe not that road.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Still looking to camp this weekend, somewhere south of Denver. Ill be hauling a trailer so really looking for a relatively easy sire to get to, given this weekends past snow.

Jutt

Rank 0

Traveler I

Still looking to camp this weekend, somewhere south of Denver. Ill be hauling a trailer so really looking for a relatively easy sire to get to, given this weekends past snow.
Check out Rampart Range. South of Denver, not much snow, easy access, camping. Check, check, check, check.

EDIT: Rampart Rd closed on 12/1 for the winter. It's been so mild this winter I forgot about the scheduled closing.

Last edited:

Nomad00XJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Littleton, CO
Member #

I haven't been out there this winter, but since it's been so mild I thought I'd ask about camping somewhere off of Goose Creek rd by Deckers. This is Goose Creek Campground which may be closed, but there are plenty of dispersed spots out here. 39.171975, -105.359890

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
I haven't been out there this winter, but since it's been so mild I thought I'd ask about camping somewhere off of Goose Creek rd by Deckers. This is Goose Creek Campground which may be closed, but there are plenty of dispersed spots out here. 39.171975, -105.359890
I love that place but with the roads so narrow and a lot of shade, might be sketchy with my truck and camper behind it