CO, Canyonlands, North rim RTT camping spots

• HTML tutorial

Rakkasan3187

Rank I

Contributor III

NW AR
Hey guys. I have been wanting to make a trip from Arkansas through Colorado, Canyonlands and the North Rim for a while now. Finally my leave lined up and Ill be departing AR on Oct 1st. I have allotted ten days for the trip. Due to me not knowing when my leave would be there was no way I could make camping reservations. The highlight for me on this trip was going to be doing the White Rim trail. Unfortunately every camp site on the trail is booked up. Doing the entire trail in one day is out of the question especially since the girlfriend will be with me. I wanted to reach out to you guys and see if you have any recommendations for other places to camp in the Canyonlands area. Also if you have any suggestions for camping spots at the North Rim that would be awesome to. I will be driving my 2009 F250 with a Carli 4.5" pintop kit and my CVT hardshell. Any information you guys have would be great.

scoyoc

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Moab, UT
There is lots of camping on BLM land outside Canyonlands NP. Pick up the Latitude 40 Moab West map (and Moab East map too for that matter), and find Hwy 313 that comes into Canyonlands from the North. There are two established campgrounds. Horsetheif is the more primitive one the I recommend to established camping. But you can find dispersed camping on Dubinky Wells Rd and Mineral Bottom Rd. You can Google BLM camping near Moab to find a map of camping areas ( I can't post links yet...).

The White Rim is totally worth checking out, even if you can't make it he whole way around. An out-and-back is a good day. You'll need to get a free day use permit (Google Canyonlands National Park... :-D).

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
IMG_5418.jpg Here's a photo of Twin Point along the North Rim of the GC. What a spectacular place to camp (this is my teardrop trailer). I was able to get it there pulled behind my T4R. It was a little tight in a few places and I ended up with some trail-pinstripes, but it was well worth the trek. There are several "points" that are open to overland travel along the North Rim. They are first come-first served, and require a permit for camping in these parts of the park. If you have a chance, check this out, but give yourself plenty of drive time as it is a long-dusty road to get down to access these areas. Enjoy!