Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
I often do solo trips at the spur of the moment and would like to keep a go bag packed and in the Jeep. Normally they are 3-5 day trips and my gear is always in the Jeep. I was thinking 4 pair of socks, 4 pair underwear, 2 shirts short sleeve, 2 shirts long sleeve, 2 pair shorts, 2 pair pants, personal hygiene products. Note I always have rain gear, coat hat gloves, and extra boots in the Jeep. Am I packing to much or do I need to add something?

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

I often do solo trips at the spur of the moment and would like to keep a go bag packed and in the Jeep. Normally they are 3-5 day trips and my gear is always in the Jeep. I was thinking 4 pair of socks, 4 pair underwear, 2 shirts short sleeve, 2 shirts long sleeve, 2 pair shorts, 2 pair pants, personal hygiene products. Note I always have rain gear, coat hat gloves, and extra boots in the Jeep. Am I packing to much or do I need to add something?
Sounds good... I always try to be prepared for the unexpected; sudden change in weather conditions, getting clothes wet/muddy, etc. ... other than that I can wear the same pair of jeans for several days :smirk:

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
Honestly, I think you are overpacking, but, hear me out. If you simply plan on heading out in the Jeep, and its just you, there REALLY isnt a need to change EVERY DAY. Yes, you may smell a little bad when you get home-but the shower is worth it. Here is what I suggest:
Underwear-4 days worth (changing underwear is actually good, and get antimicrobial sets-trust me, worth it)
2 pair socks (get wool, good ones-you can wear them for a week without issue, no joke)
T shirt-one (provided you wear a T shirt on a regular basis. If not, pack 2)
1 pair long pants
1 pair shorts (may double as swim trunks)
1 long sleeve
Appropriate outerwear for the time of year.

Now, here is the philosophy on this:
Provided you are mostly in your Jeep, and not hiking, you likely will not be really exerting yourself. So, changing every day is kind of pointless. When I used to hike a lot, the rule was, two sets of clothes-your hiking clothes (wet clothes), and your camp clothes (dry clothes). The only exception to this was socks. I always carried 3 pair-a fresh one each morning, a set that I soaked/washed the night before, and a dry set for the end of the day.
If room isnt an option, you can take whatever you like. But I like to keep things simple. I can pack for a weeks travel in a small bag, that I can put on my harley, throw in my truck, or take as a carry on to fly with (although, if I am flying, I will likely take more shirts, as I am probably staying somewhere where they dont like "travel funk").
A few suggestions for clothing:
Merino wool T shirts. They dont get funky. And they dry fast
Merino wool socks, for the same reason
Shorts that can double as swim trunks
Poly/cotton blend pants (I personally use old summer weight BDU bottoms, as they dry quick, and are usually pretty rugged)
Cotton flannel long sleeve shirts (dont overthink the "cotton kills" adage. Yes, it does, if you are sitting around in freezing weather soaking wet. But, you wont be, and cotton flannel just feels nice on the skin)
Antimicrobial underwear-trust me on this. Crotch rot is NOT a fun thing!!! This doesnt prevent it, but it inhibits the growth of the nasties, and, doesnt retain a funky smell after washing. Bonus is, they dry quickly as well.

Hope all this helps!

Reactions: Mid State Overland

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I think your list sounds very reasonable for summer trips, in the winter I'd recommend carrying more cold weather gear. We're not backpacking, and clothing is pretty lightweight, so I see no issue in carrying a bit more than you need. If it rains, or you fall in a creek, or have to crawl under the truck to fix something, you'll have clean dry clothes. For this same reason I always bring a spare set of boots. I tend to pack the same things for a 2 night trip that I do for a week long trip, it reduces the chances of forgetting something. Worst case you just have extra clothes you don't use.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I've scaled down my clothes on trips dramatically the past few years. Now for a whole week I'll prob only take 2 pairs of pants, 2 shorts, swimsuits, couple of Ts, 2 long sleeves. I find I wear one set of clothes multiple day and just change Ts, undies and socks. In the desert I wear bedrock sandals a few days not even requiring socks. I will take a few layers for warmth. We get variable weather in the desert especially fall and spring. One day I was changing the tire in 100 deg heat and 2 days later it was snowing on us!

I like the flat packing folders. Can fit a ton and then I just leave it in my RTT where I change anyway. Convenient and easy.

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
What do I pack... too much, way too much every time. Lol

-TJ
Same

I know I get in my head that I want dry clothes in case I get wet but even then I pack too much

My list ends up being one shirt, one shorts, one socks one pants per day, along with a heavy jacket, a hoodie or two, pajamas, camp shoes (flip flops/crocs) and boots/hiking shoes

In actuality, since I'm camping it should be one shirt, one shorts, one pants, one hoodie per THREE days, then heavy jacket, pajamas, camp shoes, etc. The only real thing i'd need per day is socks

In theory, for a 5 day trip I would have this
2 x T shirts
2 x shorts
2 x pants
1 x hoodie
1 x flannel
1 x jacket
1 x pajamas
1 x camp shoes
1 x boots
5 x socks

In reality I packed more than that for a 3.5 day trip to Moab recently and would probably pack double for that for a 5 day

What I need to do is get myself a smaller bag :tearsofjoy:

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Here's what we take for a multi-month trip:

2 pairs of fast-dry trousers
2 fast-dry shirts
2 T-shirts
2 pairs merino socks
2 pairs underwear (also fast-dry)
1 "technical" sweater
1 rain jacket
Hat

If it's in a cold climate we add a pair of insulated trousers, silk thermal underwear, and a cold-weather jacket.

If we're going to be in any kind of business situation we'll take a "formal" shirt and trousers.

We wash what needs washing when it needs it, and wear the other of whatever item.

So, for a 3-5 day trip we'd probably wash the trousers and shirts when we got home , the T-shirts and underwear a couple of times, and the rest when we get home. In fact for a 3-5 day trip the only reason for taking a second pair of trousers and a second shirt is in case we fall into a river or get covered in mud.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
It all is weather/temperature/climate dependent. Typically, I would suggest having at least an extra change of clothes, but 2 changes isn't overkill. Clothes get wet, worn, or you just have an option that works better for the conditions.

Camping in Montana in August, I had lighter winter gear for the evening and early morning, but then switched to light pants and shorts during the day.

You can never really have enough extra socks and undies as that to me is the most critical for hygiene and feeling relatively human. I guess there is such a thing, but having a few pairs of a few styles and weights is important depending on where you're at.

Coming from a backpacking and bike packing/touring background, we were limited on what we could take. Cycling clothes were usually the riding shorts, riding shirt/jersey, any layers needed, extra socks, and a clean set of clothes for camp/sleeping. Backpacking we could at least have a few more options. If there was a place to wash or rinse clothes, I'd take the opportunity to do so. Otherwise, airing everything out was critical. Streams, lakes/ponds, or even a bathroom sink provided opportunities to wash up clothes and ourselves.

Hopefully this provides a little insight.

The Durangler

Rank VI

Member I

Port Alberni
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Service Branch
Search & Rescue (R)
I spent many years in Search and Rescue in every type of weather known to man here on the west coast of BC. My 2 cents is proper layers not number of changes. Underwear and socks multiple changes if you have the room but more times then not I opt for a high quality under layer instead of underwear. This leaves good quality merino wool socks. Stay away from cotton anything. Cotton is rotten and will kill you dead quicker than anything else. Hypothermia is the most dangerous thing in the woods.

My point to this ramble . High quality layering system will not only save your life it will take up less space and require less changes because it wicks away sweat and neutralizes odour. More layers than you need but not more of everything.

Cheers.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I spent many years in Search and Rescue in every type of weather known to man here on the west coast of BC. My 2 cents is proper layers not number of changes. Underwear and socks multiple changes if you have the room but more times then not I opt for a high quality under layer instead of underwear. This leaves good quality merino wool socks. Stay away from cotton anything. Cotton is rotten and will kill you dead quicker than anything else. Hypothermia is the most dangerous thing in the woods.

My point to this ramble . High quality layering system will not only save your life it will take up less space and require less changes because it wicks away sweat and neutralizes odour. More layers than you need but not more of everything.

Cheers.
Valid point on quality material and layers. Something I forgot to mention in my post. Thank you!

Reactions: The Durangler

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
Coming from a backpacking background what’s been said about quality and layering is spot on. And material is important too. Like other said merino wool is always a more than solid option. You pay more but it’s worth it. And if you’re in the US, Darn Tough socks have the best guarantee. Wear the socks out, send them back and get a new pair for free.

Also the term “cotton kills” is true. When wet it loses all of its warming ability. Wool does not. Also instead of cotton shirts and pants go with synthetic. They will dry faster and if layered properly work amazing.

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
Honestly, I think you are overpacking, but, hear me out. If you simply plan on heading out in the Jeep, and its just you, there REALLY isnt a need to change EVERY DAY. Yes, you may smell a little bad when you get home-but the shower is worth it. Here is what I suggest:
Underwear-4 days worth (changing underwear is actually good, and get antimicrobial sets-trust me, worth it)
2 pair socks (get wool, good ones-you can wear them for a week without issue, no joke)
T shirt-one (provided you wear a T shirt on a regular basis. If not, pack 2)
1 pair long pants
1 pair shorts (may double as swim trunks)
1 long sleeve
Appropriate outerwear for the time of year.

Now, here is the philosophy on this:
Provided you are mostly in your Jeep, and not hiking, you likely will not be really exerting yourself. So, changing every day is kind of pointless. When I used to hike a lot, the rule was, two sets of clothes-your hiking clothes (wet clothes), and your camp clothes (dry clothes). The only exception to this was socks. I always carried 3 pair-a fresh one each morning, a set that I soaked/washed the night before, and a dry set for the end of the day.
If room isnt an option, you can take whatever you like. But I like to keep things simple. I can pack for a weeks travel in a small bag, that I can put on my harley, throw in my truck, or take as a carry on to fly with (although, if I am flying, I will likely take more shirts, as I am probably staying somewhere where they dont like "travel funk").
A few suggestions for clothing:
Merino wool T shirts. They dont get funky. And they dry fast
Merino wool socks, for the same reason
Shorts that can double as swim trunks
Poly/cotton blend pants (I personally use old summer weight BDU bottoms, as they dry quick, and are usually pretty rugged)
Cotton flannel long sleeve shirts (dont overthink the "cotton kills" adage. Yes, it does, if you are sitting around in freezing weather soaking wet. But, you wont be, and cotton flannel just feels nice on the skin)
Antimicrobial underwear-trust me on this. Crotch rot is NOT a fun thing!!! This doesnt prevent it, but it inhibits the growth of the nasties, and, doesnt retain a funky smell after washing. Bonus is, they dry quickly as well.
신용카드 현금화
Hope all this helps!
Since this question comes up frequently on the forum I've decided to post what I pack when I travel to Europe (and pretty much everywhere else as well). If you're interested read on, if not then just click on some other thread.

Some guiding principles first:

1. A bag larger than a carry-on is too large. You don't have to carry it on the plane, but you will have to schlep it everywhere else and there's no point in bringing more anyway. The length of the trip is immaterial: a weekend or three weeks, it's all the same.

2. Layers are the key to comfort and style when traveling. To this end you should pick items that go with each other: a base color like black, and one or two other colors (like red, green, or aqua). If you can't wear an item in more than one way you probably shouldn't bring it.

3. Scarves are an easy way to accessorize, and take up very little space and weight relative to their wardrobe punch. Jewelry, on the other hand, should be kept to a minimum. Wear the same thing everyday, basically.

4. Toiletries are bulky and heavy. Take only the minimum, and transfer them to small containers. Travel-size toiletries are relatively expensive, but most can be re-filled, and the space saved is worth it. Don't forego perfume if you're used to wearing it.

5. It's okay to wear things more than once. Not underpants, but certainly jeans and trousers and sweaters.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Our last long trip, 9 weeks out, I packed sets of three, 3 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of shorts, 3 t-shirts, 3 short sleeve shirts, 3 long sleeve shirts, 6 pairs of socks, 6 pair underwear, 1 hoody 1 vest and coveralls. (Our winter gear is always on board buried in the trailer, so that doesn't really count). Nonetheless, with the sets of three I was way over packed. We'd hand wash socks and underwear and hit a laundry mat about every two weeks.