Closures in Big Sur

• HTML tutorial

Poserlander

Rank 0

Traveler I

Cayucos
Los Burros rd is closed to camping. Say goodbye to dirt roads with ocean views. Harassment from locals is prominent. Monterey county is cracking down. Boulders have been moved in front of turn outs and supposedly there was an assault on a couple from the Bay Area by a local resident. Too many overlanders sharing locations. I saw an idiot on Plasket ridge rd with his tent deployed in the middle of a main fire road. Come on people.

79bj40

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Zinn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6MKM
Big Sur has been a disaster for the last 20 years. I used to go there all the time and wouldn't be caught dead there now. Between violent armed felons roaming the trails and angry locals it's just not worth it. Most of California is following suit.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Los Burros rd is closed to camping. Say goodbye to dirt roads with ocean views. Harassment from locals is prominent. Monterey county is cracking down. Boulders have been moved in front of turn outs and supposedly there was an assault on a couple from the Bay Area by a local resident. Too many overlanders sharing locations. I saw an idiot on Plasket ridge rd with his tent deployed in the middle of a main fire road. Come on people.
I think you are saying people need to act responsibly, and I agree.

It's never good to point at groups of people with a finger and say, "YOU!", because its never accurate. Within every group there are responsible people, and irresponsible people, whether overlanders, jeepers, or fly-fisherman. Proper land use is everyone's responsibility. If you are smart enough to use a mouse and keyboard, you can find places to go. It's not about people sharing on the gram, or facebook, or the local newspaper, or the twitters. Its about population growth as the desire to get outside and away from the grind increases. Its about more people who do not understand proper land use who are venturing out. These places are not "secret" any more than your local Costco.

It will be increasingly important to educate and lead by example. It would be very helpful to point folks to the facts (article, public hearing dates, USFS report or post), so people can help or become informed and involved.

I've seen folks drum up "closures" that are completely fictitious to drum up support, donations, sponsorships etc. In the day of fake news, its even more important to site sources and references for people can get the facts.

M

Reactions: Poserlander

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
This is closed. and in fact has always banned camping (county Directed) but now they posted signs and are enforcing it due to people leaving trash, human waste and other issues.
I called the Monterey Ranger District, who gave me this information, there most likely will be no online USFS notice due to this always being a no camping area but was not enforced before now.....

Jim

Reactions: Poserlander

s0rce

Rank 0

Contributor I

This is closed. and in fact has always banned camping (county Directed) but now they posted signs and are enforcing it due to people leaving trash, human waste and other issues.
I called the Monterey Ranger District, who gave me this information, there most likely will be no online USFS notice due to this always being a no camping area but was not enforced before now.....

Jim
Is the official USFS closure recent? A few months ago there was a post on reddit r/norcalhiking about camping in Big Sur and they copied the response from the USFS which indicated that you can camp on Los Burros road.

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
All I know is what they told me, the County has jurisdiction and has always had no camping on the books but never enforced it, then recent issues and human waste, the county now posting signs and enforcing it.

Call.

Jim

Poserlander

Rank 0

Traveler I

Cayucos
So here is the deal. I live 30 mi S. As the crow flies. Plaskett is closed, signs up no camping Monterey county code. Los Burros, closed/willow closed.

Alarming note, 2 campers were ripped from their tent at a camp atop willow Sat, they were beaten and had items stolen including their wallets. We ran into them at the beach as they were telling their story. Do not know if there was any law enforcement involvement. We also witnessed a fight between a traveler and a local at Willow beach. This ended with blood on the ground and a broken window. The locals have had it.

I would be very careful in Big Sur. We will not be taking our children there.

We worry about felons and people who do not want to be contacted by law enforcement living and homesteading there.