Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it"
- Agent K, Men In Black.

The season is a bust guys. Please respect the calls to stay home.

Small communities are put in danger every time we go out. Any one of us could be an asymptomatic carrier. For many small towns, the nearest hospital is 70 miles away... And they feel falsely safe because they are isolated.

There is no immunity to this. Be responsible.

I went out last weekend for a day trip. We stopped for sandwiches way out there. I hadn't considered how vulnerable that community was. I truly regret that trip.

A stop for food. A stop to pee. A stop for gas. Coming around a boulder while hiking and happening on a family stopped in the shade... That's how this spreads.

Wash your hands. Hang with family. Don't touch your face. Stay home.

It's not just you that you are protecting, it's someone's kid, it's someone's granny. And sometimes it's a 23 year old woman in peak health. You never know.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Another consideration is that if you do go out.. take it really damned easy.

Breaking your rig or hurting yourself would be terrible. The last place you wanna be is in a hospital or in the tow truck cab for hours.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Yeah, for me, mid-sixties (tho spend way more time than not camping and outdoors), I'm considered more at risk. Now they're saying folks my age should not go anywhere and just stay home, underlying conditions or not.

I've already been getting looks and stares from others when I go to the grocery or even go for a walk with my kid and the dog. Folks making a wide berth around me like I must certainly be more contagious than they are just because I'm older.

As much of an infohound as I am, I bet anything I am far more clean and conscientious of spread and flattening the curve than the majority of folks.

Such strange times.

Stay safe, stay clean, be positive!

@Road Hopefully it was more of a case of them wanting to make sure that they didn't spread it to you.

We are already starting to see an uptick in people coming up to their Summer Camps. Usually this is the lull between skiers and summer people. Summer people are coming up early, especially with their kids schools getting shut down. It is already starting to cause more friction between the "Locals" and "People from Away".

Going to be interesting to see how the White Mountain National Forest deals with this if restrictions continue after the roads finish thawing out. AMC is already kicking people of the AT. Are Forest Rangers going to be driving around kicking people off the White Mountain Trails?

Reactions: DevilDodge and Road

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I am a member of several local dirt bike groups and clubs. We want everyone to avoid riding right now. Hospitals are full. We don't want anyone to get injured and put further strain on our first responders and care givers.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
"There is no immunity to this. Be responsible."

83% are immune to the point they can be confined to a cruise ship and never get infected. Most of the other 17% will show minor symptoms pr none at all. Those with underlying health issues - smokers, vapers, diabetics, compromised immune systems, heart or lung issues - should be careful. Social distancing is about reducing the number of direct and indirect contacts - what could be better than spreading out into remote campsites for a few days or weeks?

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

"There is no immunity to this. Be responsible."

83% are immune to the point they can be confined to a cruise ship and never get infected. Most of the other 17% will show minor symptoms pr none at all. Those with underlying health issues - smokers, vapers, diabetics, compromised immune systems, heart or lung issues - should be careful. Social distancing is about reducing the number of direct and indirect contacts - what could be better than spreading out into remote campsites for a few days or weeks?
17% of 327.2 million (US population) = 55,624,000

The problem with being remote is that you are potentially one of the 55 million infected and are not showing signs.. you stop for gas or a pee and leave behind a virus that can live for anywhere from a couple of hours to a few days on surfaces.