• HTML tutorial

Charlieh5816

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Louisville, KY
Member #

New build: named Clifford
Last week I bought a 1995 fzj80 land cruiser fully loaded for around $4000. This is my first 4x4( coming from 2 late 80s c10s). My buddy has a 4runner he is currently SAS finaly convinced me to get a 4x4 and mainly a toyota after a overland trip to colorado and moab.
We are both planing to do the transcontinental trail in the next year or two. Planning on doing the kentucky adventure tour this spring.
Plan:
Custom bumpers and sliders, might do custom roof rack
Winch
33s (bfg at), maybe 35s if i regear
3 inch lift
New exhaust (so it doesnt hang under the frame)
on board air and water
Might do a removable aux fuel tank

Already done:
All new brakes(calipers, shoes, rotors, etc.)
20 inch light bar
2 led pods
2 led reverse pods
Removed side steps
Built storage boxes
Power inverter

Todo list:
Rebuild rear elocker
Change diff fluid and extended breaters

Needs: before transcontinental trail
Rebuild motor(270,000 miles)
Rebuild axles and tcase.

Anyother suggestions or tips would be great. Thanksimage.jpeg

Reactions: gandrimp

Charlieh5816

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Louisville, KY
Member #

I just borrowed a friends 4runner wheels with 33 bfg at, while he is doing a sas and going to 35s.image.jpeg
With no lift it only rubs at full trun and flexed.

After multiple times having to redo light wiring I have decided to mount a waterproof fuse box to run all my lights off of and used relays opposed to the current set up with in line fuses.

Charlieh5816

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Louisville, KY
Member #

Last weekend I got a smittybilt xrc 9000lbs winch installed. I used a smittybilt winch plate for a 87-06 wrangler knowing the frame rails are wider on a wrangler I could cut it down.
winch.jpg
Before I cut the winch plate I noticed that how the power steering cooler was mounted the winch would not fit so I bought a generic transmission cooler, ran 1/2in hose from the cooler to the original lines an h and made a mount to attach to stock mounts behind the grille.
IMG_4319.JPG IMG_4322.JPG IMG_4324.JPG

I cut the winch plate on the inside of the bolt holes, I also notched the lip on the back of the plate to fit inside the fzj frame rails. I attempted to drill new holes to line up on the frame holes but it ended up being too much of a pain and I just welded the plate on.
The smittybilt xrc winch has 3 mounting points for the control box only two will work with the stock bumper but both made it very difficult to plug in the controller, so I mounted the box to the passenger frame rail.
IMG_4251 (1).JPG
Because of the shape of the bumper the fairlead could not be mounted completely straight on the rope rubs on the fairlead, so I decided to strengthen the bumper so when pulling at weird angles the bumper is not bent.
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: Suprunner