HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Besides having a professional buffing to the rig to get rid of the scratches and Desert Pinstriping, I am hoping someone has a better solution than the attempts I've made. I know it comes with the territory but I still would like to keep the rig looking as nice as possible.
20180709_205420.jpg

first was the Turtle Wax product.....didn't work so well
20180709_205503.jpg

Second was a compounding rub...worked better but not great
20180709_205447.jpg

After a trail run this weekend and then washing the rig, the pinstriping reappeared.
20180709_205359.jpg

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ...and you can make funny comments also.. I don't mind. :sunglasses:

Thanks

Passe-Partout

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

5466 Ashleigh Road, Fairfax, VA
First Name
Claude
Last Name
Imbt
Member #

Besides having a professional buffing to the rig to get rid of the scratches and Desert Pinstriping, I am hoping someone has a better solution than the attempts I've made. I know it comes with the territory but I still would like to keep the rig looking as nice as possible.
View attachment 61246

first was the Turtle Wax product.....didn't work so well
View attachment 61234

Second was a compounding rub...worked better but not great
View attachment 61235

After a trail run this weekend and then washing the rig, the pinstriping reappeared.
View attachment 61245

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ...and you can make funny comments also.. I don't mind. :sunglasses:

Thanks
The only solution I found that works is using a random orbit polisher with polishing compound followed by the use of a poly wax (for durability) with a top-coat of soft wax (e.g. carnuba wax). Random orbit polishers won't leave swirls and are safer to use than non-orbital polishers. Use a good quality pad designed to be used for polishes. Start with a more coarse polishing compound to remove the deeper scratches followed by more fine polishes. You will likely need at least 3 different levels of coarseness to correct the finish. Do not use the same pad, restrict the pad to a single coarseness of polish. Finish up with a poly wax to seal the finish and a coat of softer wax over top to fill in any micro scratches left. I use Griots products and have been very satisfied with them. Once you have corrected and protected your finish you might want to consider providing a durable film such as 3M clear protectant film to the most exposed areas. The film will last for many years and can be easily removed.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have used one product since the mid 70s with great satisfaction and with great results. For a while the product was really hard to find here in the east, so when I did find it I bought an entire case. I've one can now and when it is gone I'll just buy another case, should last me the next 30 years again. The product is TR3 Resin Glaze. If your scratches are a bit deep then first use Meguiar's scratch remover, with ample coatings of TR3 afterwards... These two products combined with a tiny bit of elbow grease will keep your rig looking great for years. I stay away from electric buffers and any "wax" products. Tis a shame you learned the hard way that Turtle wax is junk. I considered the 3m protective film only briefly. I'll stick with my method instead of spending a lot of bennies on something elbow grease will fix.... Rub On, Rub off. (lol) The bottom cladding on my rig is easily touched up using a custom match to Rustolem's "espresso" color. I simply roll it on as needed with a mini foam roller. The bumpers and rocker rails are SW semi-flat black and when they get beat up I simply touch up the offending area.

getimage.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I've had great luck with meguires ultimate compound followed up by the ultimate polish , a random orbit buffer with a good quality cover is your best friend . tr3 is also a great product for protecting the paint

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
The only solution I found that works is using a random orbit polisher with polishing compound followed by the use of a poly wax (for durability) with a top-coat of soft wax (e.g. carnuba wax). Random orbit polishers won't leave swirls and are safer to use than non-orbital polishers. Use a good quality pad designed to be used for polishes. Start with a more coarse polishing compound to remove the deeper scratches followed by more fine polishes. You will likely need at least 3 different levels of coarseness to correct the finish. Do not use the same pad, restrict the pad to a single coarseness of polish. Finish up with a poly wax to seal the finish and a coat of softer wax over top to fill in any micro scratches left. I use Griots products and have been very satisfied with them. Once you have corrected and protected your finish you might want to consider providing a durable film such as 3M clear protectant film to the most exposed areas. The film will last for many years and can be easily removed.
Wow...I feel like I'm fine finishing one of my wood projects. Thanks for this info. Since I'm not nor ever have been a car guy, I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I have used one product since the mid 70s with great satisfaction and with great results. For a while the product was really hard to find here in the east, so when I did find it I bought an entire case. I've one can now and when it is gone I'll just buy another case, should last me the next 30 years again. The product is TR3 Resin Glaze. If your scratches are a bit deep then first use Meguiar's scratch remover, with ample coatings of TR3 afterwards... These two products combined with a tiny bit of elbow grease will keep your rig looking great for years. I stay away from electric buffers and any "wax" products. Tis a shame you learned the hard way that Turtle wax is junk. I considered the 3m protective film only briefly. I'll stick with my method instead of spending a lot of bennies on something elbow grease will fix.... Rub On, Rub off. (lol) The bottom cladding on my rig is easily touched up using a custom match to Rustolem's "espresso" color. I simply roll it on as needed with a mini foam roller. The bumpers and rocker rails are SW semi-flat black and when they get beat up I simply touch up the offending area.

View attachment 61264
Nice looking rig. Your comment about Rub on/Rub off is more up my alley. It looks like I have some testing to do with the different suggestions. Thanks for chiming in.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I've had great luck with meguires ultimate compound followed up by the ultimate polish , a random orbit buffer with a good quality cover is your best friend . tr3 is also a great product for protecting the paint
So it looks like I need to divide my rig in sections and try each solution then post results.....hmmmmm..now to borrow an orbital polisher. [emoji41]

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Though the pinstripes on mine aren't quite as bad as what you have pictured, I left them. Only time I see them is when I wash the truck :D and I don't like looking at them.
I think we both have the same color 4R; only wished I had gone with a lighter color (if one in Quicksand had been available) as the dark color shows off every mark and swirl.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Though the pinstripes on mine aren't quite as bad as what you have pictured, I left them. Only time I see them is when I wash the truck :D and I don't like looking at them.
I think we both have the same color 4R; only wished I had gone with a lighter color (if one in Quicksand had been available) as the dark color shows off every mark and swirl.
very true about any dark colors... the sand color is very easy to maintain.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So true. My wife @Stumblebunny said the same thing...wish we went with a lighter color. Oh well, lesson learned [emoji41]

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I figure Desert/Trail Pinstriping ad's character - like a scar, its a story of where you've been or what you hit.
Hey now... how'd you know I hit something....LOL I actually fell into a rut on the left side climbing the back entrance to Peavine Peak... I call it the Peavine scrape which I got doing the Peavine shuffle trying to get unstuck.... :smiley::tonguewink: