Chuck box build.

• HTML tutorial

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I wish I had the chuck box my dad built a bazillion years ago. I use a "gig box" we picked up at a boy scout yard sale to carry my kitchen. It works fine, but isn't as ultimately cool as these custom builds. It does lock, has super heavy duty latches, hinges and edge armor, but misses the custom factor and is, really, just a stout box, even with the liners and compartments I've added.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

Pics of your setup?
I'd take a photo, but it's at home and I won't be 'til next week.

It's not all that picturesque -- it's a commercial supply trunk (a/k/a "road case"/Gig Box) like this: https://www.roadcasesusa.com/equipment-supply-shipping-case-3-8-plywood-trunk/ , though mine had foam inserts to hold equipment, not a carpet liner, and may not have been exactly the same size (I think mine is deeper).

I picked two of them up for $10 a piece at a boy scout rummage sale. I gave one to my son to store his bigger hand tools in. The other, I scraped the degraded foam out, stripped out the glue that held it in, and spray painted the inside. I stuck padded shelf liner in the bottom and used luaun ply to make dividers.

Drawbacks: it weighs about 45# empty, and though it's water resistant, it's not water tight (can't seal the opening, and don't trust that the ply is marine grade) It's bug resistant, but sugar ants can and do get in, not other bugs though. Cost if you didn't get it cheap/free

Strengths: It's super strong; two people can stand on it, sit on it, whatever. It seals solidly - I suspect you could consider it all but bearproof, as it's 3/8" ply with a vinyl outer and has the aluminum edging, latches, hinges.

I would not do this again - since I'd have to pay full price for the box. I'd start from scratch and build some of the examples in this thread. I might try to source the hardware though.

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
When you take it out and break it in let us know if there are any changes you think might make it better. Spread the wisdom around!