CHOOSING A VEHICLE Help Please !

• HTML tutorial
My wife and I have spent 50 years in the outdoors doing every imaginable activity. At our winter home in Arizona we had a Polaris RZR that we explored old ghost towns, mining areas and just the glory of wilderness.

Unfortunately my wife was just diagnosed with late stage liver cancer so we had to sell the Arizona place and the RZR. Up here there are few places to ride a UTV and wanting to keep in the back country as long as she lives we bought a new Jeep Wrangler.

HUGE mistake, even with modifications it rode so rough her liver hurt.

We need recommendations on the smoothest riding vehicle we can find - we wont be bouldering just doing forest and gravel roads. Also no mud!

One of our friends suggested a Subaru Forester or Outback. We appreciate any suggestions.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
It may not be ALL vehicle choice, but also suspension components that determine ride quality. I am no expert, however I know that going from say cheap rough country or supreme suspension to say some bilsteins, fox, or OME make a huge difference. That being said if you put some 5150s on a forester it might be like driving on a cloud at that point.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

For a softer / more cushy ride, a longer wheelbase SUV is where I would start then upgrade shocks / struts to your liking based on the ride of the actual vehicle you end up with .. See what's available around you and go test drive them. Think Suburban / Excursion / Expedition / Etc..

The important part is that you guys need to come up with a list of model options and actually drive them. Advice from us is going to all be influenced by factors that may not be important to you. Additionally, I can tell you all about how the ride in my 2005 Suburban Z71 was super cushy, but there are plenty of other models of rigs that may be even better for you that I've never driven.

Reactions: Gilbert and Bouncer

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
OH hey wow I'm so sorry. How about we go back and start by saying that I am sorry to hear about your spouse. and hope that she is recovering. I wish you both the best and hope that she is able to start enjoying the outdoors again

Reactions: BobsGarage

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Sorry to hear.

We have a 2010 Outback and love it. I will never NOT own a Subaru again. I may have other vehicles around, but a Subie will always be here. I would recommend an Outback or Forester as your friend suggested. The Foresters have a little more aftermarket support from what I've seen, but I could be wrong. Go check out the Subaru Owners Registry (https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/subaru-owners-registry.3450/) to see some great options.

Toyota is another one to look into. I don't have much experience (I have a 2002 Rav4, but have never taken it off pavement), but I think that would be a solid choice as well. Good luck finding something that works for you, and here's hoping you have a lot of time to get out on the trail with your wife.

Roy L Mankins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pahrump, NV
Member #

My wife and I have spent 50 years in the outdoors doing every imaginable activity. At our winter home in Arizona we had a Polaris RZR that we explored old ghost towns, mining areas and just the glory of wilderness.

Unfortunately my wife was just diagnosed with late stage liver cancer so we had to sell the Arizona place and the RZR. Up here there are few places to ride a UTV and wanting to keep in the back country as long as she lives we bought a new Jeep Wrangler.

We need recommendations on the smoothest riding vehicle we can find - we wont be bouldering just doing forest and gravel roads. Also no mud!

One of our friends suggested a Subaru Forester or Outback. We appreciate any suggestions.
I bought a 2003 Lexus GX470 amazing comfort, the truck is a beautiful off road and completely reliable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: RyanC

Roy L Mankins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pahrump, NV
Member #

My GX470 gets 15 mpg in expedition trim, about 10-12 off-road and it is a beast. My Jeep never got any better. My wife will off-road with me sometime now, never would be n the Jeep.
Lots of great 4wd vehicles. Just a matter of taste

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

The Ford trucks/SUVs ride like Cadillacs in my opinion. Very nice ride.

The Toyotas ride more like Jeeps. Stiffer suspension.

The GMs ride good once you put Ford shocks on them, for better dampening curves. (Nor Cal Nick on the Diesel forums used to be able to help with shock cross referencing for a better ride, but he sold his business “Nor Cal Truck”... I think the business kept all the cross reference files)

James

SinCityOverland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
shaun
Last Name
field
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
a hole
A gx470 with a decent suspension (like king, fox, or icon ) would feel very nice on and off road and have you feeling luxurious every minute of your ride. With that being said the toyota 4runner shares the same suspension and can also be made to feel extremely comfortable.

Jeeps have a solid axle so even with the nicest suspension you will still have that rigid feel down the road.

If you need any help putting a vehicle together we can help you. We find vehicles for some of our customers and build them out so all you have to do is show up and take your keys!

I hope you two can get back outside asap and enjoy your time together!

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

AmericanShaolin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Simi Valley, CA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Locke
Member #

I am very sorry to hear what the two of you are going through. Being in your situation I would recommend not making the type of vehicle as much of a focal point but suspension to be the main focus. Essentially what a RZR is doing is taking suspension technology from a prerunner truck/buggy and shrinking it down which is why you have such a smooth ride off road. The excesses of wheel travel allows the suspension to absorb all the imperfections of the surface you are driving on keeping you as the driver/passenger from getting beaten up. You are going to want a vehicle that has independent front suspension opposed to a solid front axle because IFS is naturally a smoother ride. After that you will want a mid to long travel front end (i.e. camburg or Total Chaos) with a coil over or remote reservoir shock. For the rear a deaver leaf spring pack paired with a remote reservoir shock will suffice. The only vehicle in today's market that has a stock suspension that essentially uses this concept is the Ford Raptor but of course depending on budget that may not be an option. Of course this suspension is over kill for what you are doing but at the same time if off road comfort is your main goal it is the best option. Also from my understanding the new Chevy Colorado ZR2 is using a revolutionary spool valve suspension system that is supposed to be extremely comfortable on and off road and the suspension adapts to whatever terrain you are driving on. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Bus007

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Surprise, Az
Member #

My neck is fused , c5, c6 and c7, and I only have partial use of my right hand. My Jeep Wrangler rode to rough and was difficult at highway speeds with only one hand. We traded it for a 2017 Toyota 4runner. The ride is very smooth, I would highly recommend it.

Reactions: ScorpioVI

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Independent suspension will be smoother than almost anything with a solid axle. Going with a 4Runner or Xterra will get you half way there, but the back is still solid.

If you are not doing any serious off roading, I would check out a Gen3 Pathfinder (just make sure anything 2005-2008 has had the radiator replaced, also check the ATF and coolant for signs of mixing) another possibility is the Honda Pilot or Honda Ridgeline. All of these have four-wheel independent suspension that will likely ride better than anything with a solid axle.

None of these are ones I would personally use, but I have different needs. The newest Ridgeline is listed as having very good towing and hauling in its class, it also has clever features like an under-bed storage area and a side-opening tail gate. It would be where I would start.

Other options would be Lexus, which has already been discussed above, so I won't rehash it.

Generally avoid short wheel base vehicles, they tend to be very bouncy. A long wheel base like a full size SUV or truck will be more comfortable but have some maneuvering limitations. Also, whatever you get, consider buying smaller wheels and getting tires with a taller sidewall. Be sure to air down your tires as soon as you hit dirt for a more comfortable ride (also better traction).

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
So sorry about your situation. Driving my Rubicon 2-dr. last fall over about 75 miles of gravel washboard, I passed a kidney stone, so I get it. I bought a Chevy ZR2 with DSSV suspension - it's wonderful. Take one for a test drive on dirt/gravel roads, and then drive over some speed bumps on pavement. I guarantee that it will be a HUGE improvement over your Jeep. https://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/16/2017-chevy-colorado-zr2-supercar-suspension-details/

And if you want to really go all in, get a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with ORII pneumatic suspension. At the highest setting it has about 11" of clearance. I goes all the way down to an exit height that anyone can easily slide into. My wife has one and absolutely loves it - especially after having total knee replacement surgery this spring. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: HEYElliott

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I would have said GX as well until I test drove one against a new 4Runner. I imagine the key is aftermarket shocks (maybe springs too). ARB Old Man Emu (OME) are reputed to have the best ride. Bilsteins are great but stiff.

Consider a day pass to Overland ExpoWest in Flagstaff next month, if the wait is acceptable. There you will encounter a wide variety of vehicles with friendly owners who will be happy to share their opinions. (I’ll be there with my 74yo Mom in a white, new 4Runner with Kansas tags.)

I hope you have the opportunity to get out as much as possible. Try the Boulder UT/Escalante area if you can. Day trips out of Moab are also easy & beautiful. My thoughts are with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I just saw on another thread that you are in Vancouver WA now, instead of Northern AZ. Worth noting as trail riding quite a bit different here than in AZ (I’m a former Phoenician & PDXer now in Seattle). You’ll probably want more of an Overlander style rig that’s a little narrower. Overland Expo a little far off but definitely come up to the Northwest Overland Rally in Plain, WA in May.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro