Av8or

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Levin
Hey Newbie here - In 2 weeks I'm going to pick up a '97 Land Rover Disco 1 from a friend. It's got a blown engine, and an automatic transmission which I'm not at all interested in. My buddy is keeping the engine and trans to rebuild for some of his other projects, but I'll get the rest of it as I flat tow it across the US behind my Ranger. This is going to be an epic overland build, starting with chromoly axle shafts and heavy duty CV joints paired with ARB air lockers front & rear.

Then it's onto the Trans. If at all possible I'd like to keep the bulletproof LT230 Transfer Case. There aren't too many manual trans that have off the shelf adapters to the LT230 so that's pushing me to an AX15 which is pretty tough and well matched for the Disco...

So we've got LT230 TCase + AX15 Trans... now what engine?

Everyone does an LS, and I'm not too keen on doing what everyone else does plus they're tough to package into a Disco 1... so I'm looking at a couple of Turbo'd I4's. The Cummins R2.8, or the 2.3L Ford Ecoboost. I know everyone is all for diesel, but I have a 2.3 ecoboost in my truck and I love that engine, it's about 100lbs lighter, and I'll have something to reference when I'm doing this engine swap. BUT... I want it to last forever so points for the Cummins.

Both are similar package size. Points to ecoboost for weight. Points to Cummins for Diesel.

Thoughts? I've been wallowing between these two for the last month so opinions, founded or otherwise are welcome!

Pic of the soon-to-be my Disco for attention:
1695051811940.png

hrichard

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger III

Camden, DE, USA
First Name
HARRY
Last Name
RICHARD
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UVV
If the engine in my disco 2 goes out it will most likely get the 6.0 80e combo that everyone is so fond of, just because of parts availability and reliability. I would love to stuff a 4bt Cummins in one, or maybe a baby duramax. We had an early eco boost in an escape, really wasn’t fond of it but could certainly remedy the issues I had during the swap. I tend to overbuild things, so I would definitely go with a heavier duty power train.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
LS swap. Don't reinvent the wheel. LS swap is a pita, why make it even harder with a weirder engine?

Half the price, or less, than a diesel swap. Once the cool cantankerous noises of the diesel wear off, you're left with a Disco that's worse than an LS swapped one, in every way.

Reactions: Cypress

Av8or

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Levin
Well if I went gas I think the Ecoboost would be the winner. It's a smaller package size and with only 1 bank of cylinders that's only 1 exhaust collector vs. 2 from a V8 making it even easier. It's wildly reliable with tons of low end torque and is about the same weight as the stock motor.

The question then becomes one of transmission - I wonder how hard it would be to get the Bronco MT88 transmission bolted up and working to it. From any of the ebay pull-offs I don't see any sensors or anything I'd have to interface with. If I learn there is a pile to integrating it I could always run to the Jeep AX15 for which an adapter already exists.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
How will you use the Disco once complete? Towing, climbing, and hauling stuff will strain a 4cyl I'd think....if you want different, go aluminum 4.3 V6...most of an LS but not all of an LS, LOL.

Av8or

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Levin
How will you use the Disco once complete? Towing, climbing, and hauling stuff will strain a 4cyl I'd think....if you want different, go aluminum 4.3 V6...most of an LS but not all of an LS, LOL.
Will be used for overlanding. Planning for 35's chromoly half shafts and full trail armor so heavy rig.

4 cylinder is more than good behind my ranger fully loaded when I tow 7k lbs. Also seems fine in broncos that weight 6k lbs.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Personally I lean towards pre-computer gear, something I can fix in the boonies without needing a 'puter. Land Rover 300TDI matched to the aforementioned R380. I'd say 200TDI but they don't make new heads for them. So supply is limited.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Ford 5.0 with a carb swapped on, and a 5 speed manual. Pop out of a junked f150 for nothing.

paul87250

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Folles, Haute-Vienne, France
First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

I'm a big fan of the 300tdi with either lt77 or r380 transmission, you may have to play with the transfer case and diff ratios to run 35's though.

Nice choice of vehicle, l am a land rover addiction survivor good luck.

Reactions: Av8or