Chloride canyon to Mount Withington (NM)

• HTML tutorial

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

I'm going on the little path I've attached, on the 14th-16th. Its short notice so I'm not expecting any other OB members to join, but I'm sharing in case anyone should want to go in the future.

My plan is to drive up Chloride Canyon,turn north on a trail I found on google earth, to Lookout mountain and camp out there for a night. The next day would be used to drive the rest of the route (primarily FRs and some highway) only to stop at Mount Withington. If road conditions permit, I'll be going to the summit to where I can see the VLA.

It is undecided whether I'll stay the night on the summit, or in the campgrounds at the base of the mountain. Ill post pictures of the trip when I get back.

PS, sorry about the three files, its just how I traced them out on Earth

Attachments

Reactions: Overland 505

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Ok so I ran the trip with two exceptions. I didnt take forest service roads from the end of chloride to Cibola NF where Mount Withington is, and I didnt camp on Lookout Mountain, I camped at its base where I could see the fire lookout. Due to sleeping wrong on the ground, I didnt need to sleep in a tent for a second night. After i exited chloride onto highway 59 I followed it to 52 where I turned north. Which, much to my surprise, highway 52 turns to dirt after the first hill as you go north from the intersection of highway 59. And after you turn onto 549, its closer to a 4x4 trail than a road, a nice surprise. I was expecting a 2 lane highway due to it being former highway 52.

Im typing this as my phone uploads the pictures to my computer for easier uploading. So I'll try and copy four wheeler to my best ability.

To get to Chloride, you must first go through Winston NM. I highly recommend carrying a paper map, or an offline version on your devices as all cell sercives vanish about half way between Winston and Truth or Consequences. But once in Chloride, follow the main street all the way to the end where the road dead ends. When you can go no further, hang a left and follow the tracks. For the first 1.2 miles, youre on private property.

You cross through this creek a lot. So many times that I lost count. The cattle guard that marks the beginning of Gila National Forest, is enough of a grade that I began to spin and had to put it in 4HI. I kept it in 4Hi just for giggles honestly, but there were a couple places I shifted into 4LO for, the control, and the ability to crawl.

Theres a few rock gardens, switchback climbs, quite a few of the trail runs next to a steep cliffs, and a few mud puddles. But all in all, an enjoyable drive that any vehicle with 4wd and id say 8 inches of ground clearance could do.

The mudholes look as if they come and go. The deepest came just under the bottom of hub on my wheels (33 inch tires) and it was a muddy enough to where I had to gun it to clear the tires. But the majority were rock/solid bottoms.

Places to set up camp are easy to identify. Theyre the grassy bits in a trail full of rocks. Most of which already have fire rings made of stones found nearby. Spots become more available as you cross the continental divide.

The places I kicked it down into 4LO are the switchbacks. I enjoy having the control 4LO gives my truck along these obstacles.

Onto Mount Withington and 549:

As I previously stated NM52 is dirt, but the turn off for 549 is well marked and its more of a two track dirt road. You run along this unassuming track until you make one little climb, and then it drops. The forest service even felt the need to put a steep narrow road sign for it. It is narrow too. I felt like hugging the cliff face next to my door rather than flirt with the other side, but maybe thats just me.

You almost drive through the forest, which is a beautiful drive, before you get to the turn off for Mount Withington. Theres still snow in some places along the trail for Withington, going up they gave me no trouble. Coming down, it got sketchy. Making my rear end kick out toward the drop off in one spot. Although the snow and one or two small trees were over the trails in places, the view at the top was worth it.

Pictures in next post

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

20170414_152544.jpg
Welcome to Gila

20170414_153842.jpg
Old cattle pin just inside the forest

20170414_161303.jpg
not sure of how old it is, but some old art
20170414_182512.jpg
Our camp with the Pooches exploring. The tent is close to the little trees because the rest of them had widow makers in them. It was 26 degrees the next morning

Attachments

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

20170415_110134.jpg
I just had to. Plus I havent found a spot I want to put it on my truck, so I carry it in my pocket when on the trail.
20170415_110106.jpg
It wouldnt be a trip without a dog argument at 10,000 feet now would it? Unfortunately all other pictures I have are over the size limit.

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

I want to make a trip out to Chloride Canyon sometime.
It's definitely a fun one. I unknowingly took my trip on the opening day for a hunting season (I'm not a hunter so I had no earthly clue) and being my truck is a loud one, I irritated, to say the least, a few hunters.

They'll get over it [emoji38]

ps sorry if you're one of those hunters but it's public land, and I wasn't trail blazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

HoffmanMark

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Ok so I ran the trip with two exceptions. I didnt take forest service roads from the end of chloride to Cibola NF where Mount Withington is, and I didnt camp on Lookout Mountain, I camped at its base where I could see the fire lookout. Due to sleeping wrong on the ground, I didnt need to sleep in a tent for a second night. After i exited chloride onto highway 59 I followed it to 52 where I turned north. Which, much to my surprise, highway 52 turns to dirt after the first hill as you go north from the intersection of highway 59. And after you turn onto 549, its closer to a 4x4 trail than a road, a nice surprise. I was expecting a 2 lane highway due to it being former highway 52.

Im typing this as my phone uploads the pictures to my computer for easier uploading. So I'll try and copy four wheeler to my best ability.

To get to Chloride, you must first go through Winston NM. I highly recommend carrying a paper map, or an offline version on your devices as all cell sercives vanish about half way between Winston and Truth or Consequences. But once in Chloride, follow the main street all the way to the end where the road dead ends. When you can go no further, hang a left and follow the tracks. For the first 1.2 miles, youre on private property.

You cross through this creek a lot. So many times that I lost count. The cattle guard that marks the beginning of Gila National Forest, is enough of a grade that I began to spin and had to put it in 4HI. I kept it in 4Hi just for giggles honestly, but there were a couple places I shifted into 4LO for, the control, and the ability to crawl.

Theres a few rock gardens, switchback climbs, quite a few of the trail runs next to a steep cliffs, and a few mud puddles. But all in all, an enjoyable drive that any vehicle with 4wd and id say 8 inches of ground clearance could do.

The mudholes look as if they come and go. The deepest came just under the bottom of hub on my wheels (33 inch tires) and it was a muddy enough to where I had to gun it to clear the tires. But the majority were rock/solid bottoms.

Places to set up camp are easy to identify. Theyre the grassy bits in a trail full of rocks. Most of which already have fire rings made of stones found nearby. Spots become more available as you cross the continental divide.

The places I kicked it down into 4LO are the switchbacks. I enjoy having the control 4LO gives my truck along these obstacles.

Onto Mount Withington and 549:

As I previously stated NM52 is dirt, but the turn off for 549 is well marked and its more of a two track dirt road. You run along this unassuming track until you make one little climb, and then it drops. The forest service even felt the need to put a steep narrow road sign for it. It is narrow too. I felt like hugging the cliff face next to my door rather than flirt with the other side, but maybe thats just me.

You almost drive through the forest, which is a beautiful drive, before you get to the turn off for Mount Withington. Theres still snow in some places along the trail for Withington, going up they gave me no trouble. Coming down, it got sketchy. Making my rear end kick out toward the drop off in one spot. Although the snow and one or two small trees were over the trails in places, the view at the top was worth it.

Pictures in next post.

My wife are in from Dallas and staying in Truth or Consequences. Is it possible to do a day trip to Chloride Canyon?