MMett

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mettler
Has anyone seen or know anything about the off-road trailers made in China? I’m more just curious than interested in buying one. I saw that Modcon trailers in Australia has their trailers built in China and then finishes systems in Australia.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

I don't know anything about them. But from what I can see they probably need to axels. But I am curious to see what others think.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
china builds some cool looking stuff. the build quality cant possible be any worse than the shit the US RV industry has been pumping out the last decade...

this rig here looks pretty neat. i'd buy from them

1633482204796.png

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

china builds some cool looking stuff. the build quality cant possible be any worse than the shit the US RV industry has been pumping out the last decade...

this rig here looks pretty neat. i'd buy from them

View attachment 211774
yep, if you give China a high end spec they can compete with BMW
but if you spec something cheap they will build you a half price BMW
the reason we see cheap garbage from China is because our corporations are only speccing for instant profit

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

AEV used to build their wheels in the USA but WE did not want to pay the "Made in the USA" bill so they went off shore.
Initially they had some manufacturing quality control issues but once that was corrected....
AEV wheels made in Asia are as good as ever and priced so we buy them.

Reactions: Ignoreamos

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Has anyone seen or know anything about the off-road trailers made in China? I’m more just curious than interested in buying one. I saw that Modcon trailers in Australia has their trailers built in China and then finishes systems in Australia.
Check out the Smittybilt Scout Trailer Kit. I purchased my Smittybilt FEB 2021 and had the factory assemble it then ship it (extra $3500) Base price was around $8k.

Smittybilt Scout Trailer and Tent Assembly:

Attachments

WilhelmB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

12 Grandview Drive, Redbank Plains Queensland, Australia
First Name
Will
Last Name
Beaver
Member #

We have had our Stoney Creek camper since 2017. made in china and assembled in Australia.
In that time we have travelled many thousands of kilometres (8000 just last trip) . It has been very reliable and easy to use. There has been a few fittings that have broken or worn out over time and use but nothing that has stopped us travelling or enjoying our time away in it and all have been easily rectified. for the money it cost , I am very happy with it.
8F800F15-FAE6-4CF3-9387-FD921BA7CAB7.JPGIMG_7021.jpgIMG_7175.JPG

bshinn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

China Grove, NC, USA
Member #

Based on my experience, the basic designs seem to be pretty sound, likely designed by people who actually use them, IE the Aussie’s. The exectution on the other hand leaves a little to be desired.

I would consider them “kit’s” basically complete, but the “fit & finish, and QC” will be up to you. When I bought my Crux in early 19, it was about 14.5K out the door with a Dometic CFX50 fridge tossed in. With all the steel and other import tarrifs (SP?) I question if it’s worth the trouble at this point.

Attachments

Reactions: Born2Explore

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Based on my experience, the basic designs seem to be pretty sound, likely designed by people who actually use them, IE the Aussie’s. The exectution on the other hand leaves a little to be desired.

I would consider them “kit’s” basically complete, but the “fit & finish, and QC” will be up to you. When I bought my Crux in early 19, it was about 14.5K out the door with a Dometic CFX50 fridge tossed in. With all the steel and other import tarrifs (SP?) I question if it’s worth the trouble at this point.

bshinn

I agree with your assessment of the “fit & finish, and QC.” Like other posts from other forums, to include this one, many owners complained about the almost immediate rusting issues. I received my trailer and installed a DIRTWORX Smittybilt Scout Bumper (which I like - TheDirtworx Off-Road Fabrication Jeep Bumper Fabrication) and also immediately noticed the rusting issues. I decided to LineX my trailer for protection from rust and trail usage. I have not had the chance to take on a trail but I like how the LineX process stopped the rusting issue. Pricing for this process cost me $2,000. My rationale was, if I plan on keeping the trailer, better protect it.

Attachments

Last edited:

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Additional Smittybilt Scout Trailer information. Build and shipped from China. The video shows building the trailer from scratch (as a kit).

DaveInCO

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Thornton, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We love our Black Series Patron - two years old. It is a heavy beast, but we have drug it up some rough CO mountain 4x4 trails with no issues. Upgraded the battery charger -solar panels are next, lead crystal batteries are still working well (it stays plugged in in the garage), just got a diesel heater and tested it to use for camping trips this spring.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

We love our Black Series Patron - two years old. It is a heavy beast, but we have drug it up some rough CO mountain 4x4 trails with no issues. Upgraded the battery charger -solar panels are next, lead crystal batteries are still working well (it stays plugged in in the garage), just got a diesel heater and tested it to use for camping trips this spring.
New to South Dakota, Heading to CO this summer. Looking forward to exploring trails with my Patron.

Reactions: DaveInCO

DaveInCO

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Thornton, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Service Branch
Army
New to South Dakota, Heading to CO this summer. Looking forward to exploring trails with my Patron.
When it closer to your trip let me know and we can talk about trails, there are definitely some that are too tight to drag a trailer on.
We camp mostly around Buena Vista (Mt Antero/Baldwin lake and four mile area), Tincup area, and north of Blackhawk (pickle gulch/Dakota hill, Yankee hill, and Kingston peak area). Plan to hit more places around Breckinridge this year.

We are originally from ND so we've been thru Chamberlain a bunch.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
bshinn

I agree with your assessment of the “fit & finish, and QC.” Like other posts from other forums, to include this one, many owners complained about the almost immediate rusting issues. I received my trailer and installed a DIRTWORX Smittybilt Scout Bumper (which I like - TheDirtworx Off-Road Fabrication Jeep Bumper Fabrication) and also immediately noticed the rusting issues. I decided to LineX my trailer for protection from rust and trail usage. I have not had the chance to take on a trail but I like how the LineX process stopped the rusting issue. Pricing for this process cost me $2,000. My rationale was, if I plan on keeping the trailer, better protect it.
Holy tactical tagalong. Damn that's mean looking.
Zim

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

When it closer to your trip let me know and we can talk about trails, there are definitely some that are too tight to drag a trailer on.
We camp mostly around Buena Vista (Mt Antero/Baldwin lake and four mile area), Tincup area, and north of Blackhawk (pickle gulch/Dakota hill, Yankee hill, and Kingston peak area). Plan to hit more places around Breckinridge this year.

We are originally from ND so we've been thru Chamberlain a bunch.
Thanks, I will hit you up for sure.

I moved from CA to Chamberlain in September, love SD, but miss the trees. I am looking forward to exploring in Spring and Summer. Have a larger run to the Rim Rock train from Co to Moab in late June. My hope is to combine that with some exploring in Co.