Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Chicagoland OB Meetup took place today at the Bass Pro Shop in Bolingbrook, IL.
It was great to meet everyone; a diverse group with diverse levels of overland experience. Planning a weekend trail ride and camping on the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail in early November. Details being worked out. Stay tuned for more information and let us know if you're interested in joining us! All are welcome, kid/family friendly.
Plan to schedule regular meetups in the future.

20171007112503_IMG_5785.JPG

Reactions: Steve

Robert H Eubanks

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Geneva, Illinois
Member #

Chicagoland OB Meetup took place today at the Bass Pro Shop in Bolingbrook, IL.
It was great to meet everyone; a diverse group with diverse levels of overland experience. Planning a weekend trail ride and camping on the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail in early November. Details being worked out. Stay tuned for more information and let us know if you're interested in joining us! All are welcome, kid/family friendly.
Plan to schedule regular meetups in the future.

View attachment 36525
I was bummed that I was not able to make the meet-up in Bolinbrook.

Please keep me in the loop for the November Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail weekend trip.

Thank you.

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Howdy Everyone,
For those of you who were not able to make the meet up in Bolingbrook, but are interested in the Trans Wis Adventure Trail, dates are set for Nov 3rd - 5th. Just going to do the first part of the trail, see how far we get in a weekend. It will be our first outing as a group. so will be a good test of our planning and learning what we have and know, and more likely what we don't know! There's a small group planning the trip, so if you're not linked in with them let me know here if you'd like to join us and I'll try to get you linked in.

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

@AndyMKE and @reptrecker and all others in the Midwest region: the trip for the Trans Wis Adv Trail has been scheduled and posted in Rally Point. You should be able to click on it in the list of events on the right side of this page, choose Rally Point Events from the Rally Point tab above, or see it in the Meetups Forum. Some of us will be meeting up Friday evening 11/3 at Grant Hills Motel in Galena, IL and leaving for the trail at 0830 the following morning from the motel parking lot. Kid and family friendly, camping Saturday night. Hope you can join us, click the RSVP on the Rally Point if you're coming so we can plan for the number of rigs. Hope to see you there.

AndyMKE

Rank I

Enthusiast I

@AndyMKE and @reptrecker and all others in the Midwest region: the trip for the Trans Wis Adv Trail has been scheduled and posted in Rally Point. You should be able to click on it in the list of events on the right side of this page, choose Rally Point Events from the Rally Point tab above, or see it in the Meetups Forum. Some of us will be meeting up Friday evening 11/3 at Grant Hills Motel in Galena, IL and leaving for the trail at 0830 the following morning from the motel parking lot. Kid and family friendly, camping Saturday night. Hope you can join us, click the RSVP on the Rally Point if you're coming so we can plan for the number of rigs. Hope to see you there.
I just RSVPed. I will come down Sat morning w my 2 boys. I am just in a stock Ram 1500 but I would imagine it should do just fine.

Also what do you guys use for rig to rig communication?

Last edited:

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

I just RSVPed. I will come down Sat morning w my 2 boys. I am just in a stock Ram 1500 but I would imagine it should do just fine.

Also what do you guys use for rig to rig communication?
A couple guys have CBs, but we're looking at some handhelds. One of the members did some research and is recommending Baofeng UV-82 Two-Way Radio (Black) $28.99 Amazon.com . He also recommends the UV-82HP Battery Eliminator with DC Adapter ($15.99 Amazon.com) so you can plug it into your vehicle and not have to rely on batteries. There are several models and capabilities available, but we're not looking at anything too fancy or expensive as we don't expect anyone in the convoy to be more than a mile apart in mostly flat terrain.

Reactions: AndyMKE

AndyMKE

Rank I

Enthusiast I

A couple guys have CBs, but we're looking at some handhelds. One of the members did some research and is recommending Baofeng UV-82 Two-Way Radio (Black) $28.99 Amazon.com . He also recommends the UV-82HP Battery Eliminator with DC Adapter ($15.99 Amazon.com) so you can plug it into your vehicle and not have to rely on batteries. There are several models and capabilities available, but we're not looking at anything too fancy or expensive as we don't expect anyone in the convoy to be more than a mile apart in mostly flat terrain.

I would imagine something like this would work with those as well. I buddy at work has one and he says it works great. I am gonna try and snag it for the weekend.

Reactions: Rover7284

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

Hey @RandRover , looking forward to joining your group this weekend. Shot you a quick question via PM, and am hoping to great weather (although it looks like it'll be a bit wet). Picked up a UV-82 as well!

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

I would imagine something like this would work with those as well. I buddy at work has one and he says it works great. I am gonna try and snag it for the weekend.
Yes it should. We actually looked at those as well, but decided to go with the cheaper model for our first outing. Some members already have CB setups, the Midland handheld, etc. If this group continues to do trips on a regular basis, we may graduate to something more advanced, but thought we'd start out simple and see where that gets us. As long as it receives and broadcasts on the standard 14 FRS channels just about any radio should work. A lot of us liked the Baofeng model because it also has the emergency channel options.