Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

“None of the Jeep engines seem reliable”???

Really? The 3.6 found in the Gladiator and Wranglers has been used by FCA in about 1,000,000 vehicles over the past 10 years or so. I would say it is one of the most dependable engines out there in the mid size segment. It doesn’t make the most horsepower but it is very dependable. Mating it to the 8 speed ZF transmission makes this a great combination.
Many reliable engines indeed do not make the most horsepower that they could make. This is true because the parts are not being pushed to the limits of the materials

Reactions: TSO_NJ and smlobx

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Taco's are still super reliable if you keep them on the street. But the archaic transmission and Camry engine need to go away. It's time for a new Taco. With head room this time. The Taco is the only truck you mentioned with a warranty. Dont expect Ford or GM to honor much of anything. Toyotas reliability, combined with the cache from the gen2's, is why they're still super popular. If you look objectively at only the truck, it's obsolete.

... ... ...

The Gladiator should be in this discussion, but it's still expensive as well. And only looks good on 37" tires. OEM's are remarkably ugly. Where's the hemi? Where's my manual transmission? It's still a Jeep with no engine, until someone proves the diesel.
Toyota is one of the most innovative vehicle companies out there. The Taco gained its reputation for reliability by being reliable, not by being fancy. I have no qualms whatsoever that the Camry engine is in it. Actually, the Taco engine is in the Camry, is just as good a though process here.

Also, why on earth would I complain about an old design for a transmission if it was bulletproof? Answer: I wouldnt.

Would you prefer the "innovation" of GM's AFM / DFM engines? Or the infamous 6 and 8 speed transmissions in the last generation of trucks? I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. So far so good, knock on wood, but I think about those two factors once almost every day. My nephew has a 2500. Much more heavy duty and not prone to the same issues. I honestly think I might go that route the next time.

Ford is Ford. Farm and industry related trucks and so on. Cant argue that, but they are not without thier issues. Regarding the 150's with EcoBoost...you aren't really getting that much better fuel mileage because of the twin turbo setup, but you are winding the thing up beyond it's normal limits. And the first thing to screw the pooch on a turbo engine is, well, the turbo. Hard pass for me.

The thing about Jeeps only looking good on 37's is highly subjective, but i agree with you about manual transmissions for sure. Wouldnt have all this gear hunting if I had a manual

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Looking at new trucks. Ram 2500 Tradesman with Powerwagon Package.

Get it with RAMBOX and hit the trails.

If I did not use the hell out of my 8 foot bed...one would be in the drive.

If I was doing this by myself...i would be getting another one of these and love the simplicity and be truly roughing it

index.jpeg

I should have never sold it. The reason I have 3 Mopar trucks now...

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
So I went to a Chevy dealership today to ask among other questions today, "What makes Chevy pickups special?".

He answered me that he can't put down Ford & every manufacturer has their advantages & disadvantages. I'm very disappointed with his answer.
I’m still trying to figure out what is wrong with this honest answer…. Hell I wish I could get a dealer to be that truthful haha. Spend 5 minutes looking at midsize trucks and you’ll realize just how fair that statement was. The entire segment is chock full of oddities with no single truck offering everything you’d want.
There's nothing wrong with it - it was completely the opposite of what I expected. I couldn't even get him to tell me what makes Chevy special

Reactions: TSO_NJ

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Don't know a lot about US pick ups, but for overlanding there are a list of common criteria you should consider.
You should make a proper list, and list the vehicles that fit the bill, make a top 3 - go drive them, and make a choice.
1. How much payload and space you need - nobody knows but you. I guess you made some trips already and you should know by now if you can live in a hammock like you say, or you need tent where you can have a small weeding inside. Do you travel in bad weather ? do you need a space where you can spend the whole day in case it is raining ? Consider when you get older you might want more creature comforts ( that translates in more stuff to haul around ) and leave some room for that. Now you might be ok with a small fridge, but perhaps, in the future you will want a dual zone 80 l to have a lot of icecream for your nephew. Since you buy new and keep for let's say 5 years, consider if your needs will evolve..
2. consider not only the vehicle itself but the relationship with the local dealer ? Does he has a good reputation ? this relationship will be like a fixed therm marriage for the warranty period.. can become very difficult and expensive.. you will modify the vehicle, maybe add 2 battery - will he give you trouble with claims because of this ? So even if Toyota have a good rep for reliability, is your local dealer OK ?
3. Consider the aftermarket support for modding the truck and how easy it is to do some work yourself. Some are better than others, for example for Jepp there are endless mods and things you can do to them, tutorials, videos on how to do stuff... some other models not so much.. This is connected directly with your wish list as camping equipment . Do you plan an dual battery system, a water tank , shower etc.. ? Can you mount them easy on that model ? Do they even exist for that truck ? This can save you a lot of trouble and grief after..
4. In theory this should be a rational decision and needs to make sense financially.
That means you make a a short list with what fits the bill, and choose the one with the highest score and it is prudent financially as well.
In real world we are humans. You will use this truck for hobby, at least part time, maybe only for hobby. You will spend many days in a row living out of it, driving it for hours that are suppose to be fun. So you have to like it as well. If it fits the bill perfectly but you hate it..walk away.

I had an old Landcruiser that I sold after a few years, it was giving me a lot of mechanical problems and expensive bills.. I loved that thing but it had to go.
I bought a new pick up, a Hilux instead.. It was a complete rational thing, and mostly because I had lower taxes for pick ups in Europe, where I live, it made a lot of sense financially. By any metric (except ride quality) it was better in every way : more space, reliable, capable off road, better fuel economy ans so on, but I hated the thing..
I remember when I had the Landcruiser, I would just look trough the window and see it parked in front, I just wanted to go some place, did not matter where ... I was making an excuse for every sunny week-end .
Than I had this Hilux... nothing - it left me cold. Yes I would use it for trips, it would do the job.. but no matter how much I tried to really enjoy it.. I did not succeed. I actually traveled less because of this, I did not even wanted to be bothered to take it out of the garage for short week-end trips..

So I sold it after less than 2 years of ownership, taking a financial hit and now looking for something else.
Now I understand the relationship of LR owners they have with their cars.. they know they will break down but they don't care, they just love them and they can live it with and have great fun . They sell them, they swear they will never buy another, try something else and come back into the fold :)

So consider this as well..

Last edited:

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
I just found out today that there's an extra cost for owning & operating an f150 because "plaqué" which is the limit of my French but I think means that it cost more at our equivalent of the DMV or it means that its a heavier steel.

I forgot to mention that I'll only ever put camping equipment (we sleep in hammocks) in the bed, maybe a motocross motorcycle and maybe soil amendments for a small farm.

I'd also be interested to know which is easier to repair yourself. I did an electronics course, know how to flash firmware and I'm very handy; however I have no experience with fixing & or modifying vehicles.

Lastly I'm not interested in how a vehicle looks & I'll probably make it less flashy because I'm not a flashy guy
No way is this method fool proof but at least it can help narrow your decision.

First, look for which automotive manufacturer has the closest parts distribution warehouse to your home.

Second, go to about 3 or more aftermarket web sites to search for which vehicle has the most amount of parts listed. You’ll need to know the year, make, model, and trim of the vehicles you’re interested in buying.

Hopefully, you’ll see a pattern emerge on the costs and availability of parts.

Ease of install or repair? A lot is crammed into small spaces in today’s vehicles, so start by checking to see which one allows easy access to the drain plugs and filters. Why remove the the top parts of an engine to change an oil filter, or take apart the front section of the engine compartment to replace lightbulbs? So on and so on …
While I agree with you and appreciate the effort that you made to type that message, I don't have time to check 20+ parts on 3 different websites to do a comparison; plus I doubt that I can keep track of all that. I was hoping that a mechanic would weigh in

Reactions: TSO_NJ

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
While I agree with you and appreciate the effort that you made to type that message, I don't have time to check 20+ parts on 3 different websites to do a comparison; plus I doubt that I can keep track of all that. I was hoping that a mechanic would weigh in
They are all junk. Pick the one you like to look at the top of the hood on and go adventure.

This is an overlanding group. Many different walks of life with many varying opinions.

You can not find some one to agree about a truck on fan boy pages much less on here.

There have been 3 different mechanic type opinions in this thread and each is different.

Heck..look at a tire thread or a tent thread here...

Go sit in the seat of truck. Grab the steering wheel. Start the truck and select drive. See if you like the way the seat fits your body. Does the windshield allow you to see where you are going...
Does the ride feel adequate and does the truck make the noises you like

A group can go to a dealer. All buy the same truck and by noon the next day...a group full of opinions.

And...there is nothing special about a Chevy.

Reactions: MazeVX and TSO_NJ

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

In my personal opinion on new vehicles for the most part actually suck . doesn’t matter the brand or manufacturer they are not meant to last anymore just like appliances electronics etc. etc. .. the mass majority of people buying a new rig will only keep it till the extended warranty is up and get whatever has the newest doodad and biggest screen on the dash . People use to keep vehicles till the wheels literally fell of because the cost of ownership and very short loan terms made people really care about their rig becasue they knew they would have it a very long time and manufacturers responded by making vehicles that last . Now vehicles are throw away toys that most will keep 5 years and the majority of buyers will never pay it off before buying another rig .

So the best thing you could do is just go out and test drive a bunch of vehicles you’re interested in, everybody likes something different and depending on your body types will find different vehicles comfortable what works for a 5’8 person with a bigger build probably won’t fit a 6’4 with a thin build or vice versa .

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I am a master tech.

I second the nomination for Ram or Ford 250/350/2500/3500. Ram is more reliable and sometimes easier to work on. Ford is better in every other way except maybe rear springs.

Can we even get the 5.0 in F150's anymore? The new Tundra lost it's v8. Turbo 6 only.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

In my personal opinion on new vehicles for the most part actually suck . doesn’t matter the brand or manufacturer they are not meant to last anymore just like appliances electronics etc. etc. .. the mass majority of people buying a new rig will only keep it till the extended warranty is up and get whatever has the newest doodad and biggest screen on the dash . People use to keep vehicles till the wheels literally fell of because the cost of ownership and very short loan terms made people really care about their rig becasue they knew they would have it a very long time and manufacturers responded by making vehicles that last . Now vehicles are throw away toys that most will keep 5 years and the majority of buyers will never pay it off before buying another rig .

So the best thing you could do is just go out and test drive a bunch of vehicles you’re interested in, everybody likes something different and depending on your body types will find different vehicles comfortable what works for a 5’8 person with a bigger build probably won’t fit a 6’4 with a thin build or vice versa .
Amen to that, you managed to sum up my wall of text page thing trying to explain this.. :)

Reactions: DevilDodge

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
I am a master tech.

I second the nomination for Ram or Ford 250/350/2500/3500. Ram is more reliable and sometimes easier to work on. Ford is better in every other way except maybe rear springs.

Can we even get the 5.0 in F150's anymore? The new Tundra lost it's v8. Turbo 6 only.
I heard that Rams run great until they break then they break catastrophically. I only heard this from 1 mechanic so I guess you disagree right? I would also like to ask you what you think of "Chevy as in are they also easy to work on?"

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Okay @Renaissance_Man I saw your different threads and many of your questions.
I absolutely understand that if someone invest money, you don't want it to be a shit investment, but you totally overthinking this whole thing.
For me, its easy... Walk around, read a bit about it, drive it... Does your heart beat faster? Buy it!
And quite a few people tried to tell you this with some sort of nice description...
I'm saying it loud, buy, the heck, whatever gets your blood pumping!

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
Okay @Renaissance_Man I saw your different threads and many of your questions.
I absolutely understand that if someone invest money, you don't want it to be a shit investment, but you totally overthinking this whole thing.
For me, its easy... Walk around, read a bit about it, drive it... Does your heart beat faster? Buy it!
And quite a few people tried to tell you this with some sort of nice description...
I'm saying it loud, buy, the heck, whatever gets your blood pumping!
Thanks MazeVX

JDMitchell

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Leonard Wood, MO, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Mitchell
Just playing devil's advocate, but I haven't seen anyone mention Nissan. I own a Titan Pro4X and have been very impressed with it over the Ford and Chevy trucks I've owned in years past. There is also a brand new Frontier that was just released. Should be a great truck since they've been running that drivetrain for a couple years and most of the tech has been brought in from the Titan.

I've never owned a Dodge or Toyota, but I've spent a lot of time in the Tacoma, Land Cruiser, and Hilux. I really wanted to buy a Tundra TRD Pro after test driving the Trail Boss, Rebel, and FX4. But after I test drove the Titan, I was blown away that I could get a truck that nice for 8k less than a comparably equipped competitor. Add the 5 yr/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty into the mix and it was a no brainer for me.

Food for thought.

Jesusfreak

Rank 0

Contributor I

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hall
I am new to this forum and I’m not sure where you’re at on this but this reminds me when my parents were in the same position you are. So what they did is went to a rental car place that had the vehicles they were looking at and rented one a week and put each one through all the daily tasks they would be using them for and they found the best one for them.

Reactions: Renaissance_Man

Jesusfreak

Rank 0

Contributor I

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hall
I’m still trying to figure out what is wrong with this honest answer…. Hell I wish I could get a dealer to be that truthful haha. Spend 5 minutes looking at midsize trucks and you’ll realize just how fair that statement was. The entire segment is chock full of oddities with no single truck offering everything you’d want.
Coming of what you said “no single truck offering everything you’d want” Where I’m at there is a guy who has a custom built Jeep and it say’s on his vehicle “Jeep’s aren’t bought they’re made “ may not be a bad idea for this guy to just make one the way he wants

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I heard that Rams run great until they break then they break catastrophically. I only heard this from 1 mechanic so I guess you disagree right? I would also like to ask you what you think of "Chevy as in are they also easy to work on?"
Some Rams catastrophically lunch their drivetrains. I've got pics of a transfer case that exploded at 65mph. Ripped out every brake line, grenaded the transmission and drive shaft. $14,000+. The hemi cam/rocker issues. And voodoo "shifting to 4wd" bugs are also fun.

My Ram Cummins split it's ALUMINUM injection pump in half, which destroyed all of the injectors. (should be noted that: Ford and Gm use the same garbage diesel fuel pump designs and are having the same results) Steering is getting a bit loose already. But the rest of the truck has been fine.

Everything about my Ford is better than my Ram, but for some reason, with our Fleet trucks, Rams are still a touch more reliable. Ford needs to pick it up and concentrate on reliability. Their trucks are better in every other way. There's always something freaky going on. Generally, my personally owned Fords do fine.

GM is rubbish. I won't touch those anymore. I turn people away. I'll just do a simple brake job, and a month later the customer is complaining "my transmission failed, it's your fault.''. Can't win servicing products of quality that low. Customer is always going to be unhappy. So I don't service GM's now. Not worth wrecking my rep. I can't NOT recommend GM enough.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ex mechanic weighing in… I saw an equal amount of Ford, Chevy/GM, Dodge, Mazda, Nissan trucks coming into my shop for more than just an oil change or tuneup. Only had a couple of Toyotas through out the years with severe problems. And most of those problems with Toyota were caused by owner neglect and/or were during the early 1990’s when the 3.0L was introduced.
By today’s standards, Ford is probably the most reliable Domestic Truck, fallowed closely by Dodge, Chevy has a lot of problems, especially if you want to actually use it as truck and not a pavement princess. Again Toyota comes out on top with the Tacoma with the least amount of problems.
Which one would I buy? Well, I’ve owned quite a few Fords (currently have an 89 Bronco), a couple of Dodges, a Toyota 4Runner (it’s the DD), and only one GM product that I loved so much I sold it a week later. So if I were to buy another new rig, it would be Toyota first, and Ford (New Big Bronco only) or a Toyota. I’m leaning hard on purchases new Toyota in the next couple of years.

Also look at resale value. There is a reason Toyota has one of the highest prices for resale, it’s because they are worth it. My mom’s Corolla got almost 2 million miles out on it with only doing a head job at the 1million mile mark. At the 2 Million mark some one t boned her and made it so that we couldn’t open the driver or left passenger doors so we sold it for scrap. It was a one owner car driven hard for almost 30 years.

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
the problem when you ask a question like which brand is better, you will get answers slanted towards that persons preference.
myself, i could care less what nameplate hangs on the hood, i've owned and driven all 3 (gm, ford, dodge)
by far the worst for reliabilty i've seen with my own eyes is ford super duty diesels. my dad's construction company was in business for 42 yrs. From '79 till the late '90's, it was all GM gasser trucks, was not uncommon to see 300 thou with no major probs. then in '98 he got smitten by the SD's torque, went hardcore on ford and bought approx 17 or 18 diesel SD's. the only good engine they used was the Navistar 7.3, the 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 were strait up garbage.
turbo failures galore, prob a record, five turbo's on 1 truck, HPFR and HPOP failures were every second week. injectors dumping diesel into the crank was another huge prob and ford never could seem to figure how to seal up the oil pump on any of their diesels. pretty bad when we show up at a customers house and have to throw a piece of cardboard under your new truck so it don't stain the customers driveway. and yes, multiple times ford had to take the cab off to work on them which is RIDICULOUS!!!
after close to 20 yrs with ford, he got fed up and bought a 2020 ram 3500 diesel. unfortunately he died 6 months after buying it, so i have no say on it's long term reliabilty
Ford gasser motors don't fare much better in my eyes either, especially when my sister takes her windstar in for normal servicing and gets a $3800 bill after 3 spark plugs snapped off...
my current employer has about 30 trucks, which were split pretty even between ford and gm trucks and a bunch of sprinter vans. as the fleet aged, more probs occurred. the gm's were famous for chucking codes, i don't think a single one didn't have the check engine light on, but they still ran like a raped ape, and the fords-well they were catastrophic failures-like a t-case breaking right down the center of the case on the highway at 60 mph then skidding all over the road trying to come to a stop. and the sprinters were electrical nightmares and we bent the trailing axle on 3 of them very easily.
earlier this yr he got a new fleet of new 1 ton gm's (22 trucks) and some new fiat doblo vans (8). the only ford left in the fleet is a 2019 F450 flatdeck which has had no serious probs yet.
imho if you want LONG TERM reliabilty, sometimes you have to go back in time. in my experience, most truck from the '90's down will prob go further and longer than most new trucks. my '90 gm has 400 thou and the block has NEVER been cracked open. sure, did the valve seals at 200, and an intake gasket, but thats it, which is pretty minor. a gm 350 is just about one of the most bulletproof engines made- hell, there is more non gm vehicles that have a small block swapped in them than all other brands combined. not unusual to find them in fords, chrycos, imports, boats, even planes
and for service and price-tuff to beat a gm. basiclly 2 engines, small and big blocks, with unlimited interchangeability, compare that to a ford or chryco motor, 5, 6, 7 or more blocks with no interchangeability, now imagine the tooling costs to make parts for all those motors. to build a 500 hp chev, if it was to cost $2500, that same 500hp in a ford would be $4000 and a 500hp mopar would be in the 6 grand range.
as far as i'm concerned, the last great reliable motors were chev 5.7's, chryco slant six'ers and ford 351 C's. the new motors don't even compare. would also give honorable mention to the gm 396, it's a monster of a mill.
for the utmost in reliabilty, you can't go wrong with a gm squarebody or an older dodge W truck
So you have no opinion on the Toyota Tundra?