Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

So many cool Silverados. I've used my '11 2500 Duramax as an "Overlander" from time to time. I love the range with a ~60 gallon aftermarket tank (stock tank replacement, not in-bed... though I also have a 65 gallon in-bed toolbox/tank combo but I use that for fuel for the toys on our non-Overland trips) and the space and comfort of the Silverado. If it wasn't used as my tow-rig and I didn't want to avoid scratching it up too much it'd make a great primary Overlander.

-TJ

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
My wife's 2wd Sierra that sees a lot of dirt mile and generally gets a lot of places it shouldn't. Friggen fantastic truck, it'll be getting a winch in the near future and some major suspension work. I keep trying to to talk my wife into a bed rack but no luck, lol.

IMG_20191122_122207.jpg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

My wife's 2wd Sierra that sees a lot of dirt mile and generally gets a lot of places it shouldn't. Friggen fantastic truck, it'll be getting a winch in the near future and some major suspension work. I keep trying to to talk my wife into a bed rack but no luck, lol.

View attachment 131794
SAS and T-case it!

-TJ

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
We tossed that idea around, she'd rather go the 2wd prerunner route, lol.

Long travel and a Detroit in the rear and she'll be a happy camper

Reactions: JCWages

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

View attachment 131794
Cool trail stripes!

AnthonyG

Rank 0

Contributor I

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Galasso
This thread does need some love, I commented back in 2017 when I was stock and just thinking about getting a slimline rack... king of snowballed since then...
View attachment 131673View attachment 131674
Now that is a great Chevy build! Would you mind sharing what you did with your suspension? Is your front sway bar disconnected? I've had about enough of my leveling kit.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Anyone added an inside mount to the A-Pillar grab handle? Also looking to add fog lights, maybe inside the rectangles just above the recovery points since stock bumper on the WT doesn't come standard.IMG_0291.JPGIMG_0306.JPG

Reactions: RoarinRow

Mtn lion

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Santa Ynez, Ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
T.
Member #

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500HD 4x4 with a Cognito 7" lift and 35" tires with rear air bags. I recently picked up my new Hallmark Guanella K2 camper. I love this set up. Ready for many adventures to come.

AirbossWiley

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Holly, MI, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Wiley
Member #

Here Is My Silverado Contribution. 2012 Z71. My Old Man Bought It All Stock, When He Passed It Was Passed Down To Me So I Have Been Building It Up As A Kinda Tribute. She Has Leveling Kit (For Now), 285/70R17 Ridge Grapplers On American Racing Wheels, Hooker Exhaust, Rhino Winch Bumper W/ 12k Mile Marker Winch. KC Lights On A Carr Light Bar, 12k Warn Winch In The Rear. In The Process Of Fabricating A Rear Bumper W/ Tire Carrier And A Uniden Bearcat CB w/ Dual 4' Firestik's. Still Have Lots To Do Before It Will Be DoneSilverado Stock.jpgSilverado 1.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Love those old GMT400's!
I seem to remember, on the generation of Chevy truck just prior, maybe 70's through late 80's, that there was a factory option for a second gas tank complete with a factory rocker switch to flip from one to the other.

A friend of mine had this set up in his. It might have been an 85 or 86. Too bad they dont still offer that.

Reactions: Desert Runner

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Here's where I am right now.
.'14 GMC Sierra double cab z71 (I know it's a Silverado thread but hey...)
.Leer 180 cap
.TracRac CapRac roof rack system that I installed second hand
.Removed the front bumper lower chin strap. That step goes a long way.
.Currently on Geolandar highway tires

What's next?
.Bilstien 5100's for front leveling by about 2 inches
.larger more aggressive tires. Still deciding what brand and model
.second set of rims, steelies for any offroading.
.exterior lighting. Looking at some Ninights.Maybe a bar in the grill and one 3x3 on each side and a rear.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Does anyone here have an opinion as to what brand brakes would be best for these K2 series, 2014-2018 GM trucks? Looking for stopping power first, then longevity with a minimum of brake dust

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Does anyone here have an opinion as to what brand brakes would be best for these K2 series, 2014-2018 GM trucks? Looking for stopping power first, then longevity with a minimum of brake dust
Not knowing how your OEM pads held up, makes it difficult to compare. Also how you liked them for your needs. GM 1/2 ton PU's were notorious for poor performance and weak longevity during the mid-late 90's. The 3/4 ton and 1 ton's, had much better reputations. For example, my 2003 3/4 ton Duramax has about 97,000+ miles on the original pads. These A/C Delco ceramic pads have been adequate for some towing and some hard stops. About 10,000-12,000 miles have been HWY. Still they have been exceptional, but they are coming to their end. I now have a occasional squeak, but no grinding yet, meaning they are almost done.

I was a delivery driver (local/city) for over 30 years, and I consistently achieved better brake life than any other driver. Where one driver would get 12,000 miles on a set of pads, I managed to get 19,000. The other drivers would fall somewhere in between. This was for OEM and aftermarket pads. City use for delivery is rough on brake components. Think how taxi drivers....drive. That was my fellow drivers. 1 foot on the gas, and 1 on the brake....HEY :grinning:................a little Sammy Hager humor there.

GM owners also upgrade their trucks rotors also to slotted. Usually on 1/2 ton models. GM seems to have fixed the under engineered brake systems of the past, in newer models, as you read of less complaints about them.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well, I havent had to purchase or change brakes for a new car since 2007. Since then, it's been a 20 year old Jeep or a 25 year old big Blazer. Those parts were not expensive.

Talked with some guys on a Chevy/GMC truck forum and they recommended Z36 Power Stop. 4 rotors and all pads came in at $422 on Amazon and I flinched at that number.

I flinched at that number until I called the local GMC dealer and they wanted $750 for the same parts, OEM. I nearly dropped my lunch...then I asked "that's with labor, right?" Silly rabbit. Nope. Parts only.

It didnt end there. Z71 suspension replacement shocks (presumably the Ranchos of checkered reputation) were $180 front, $160 rear. Compare that to $115 front, $68 rear for Bilsteins and this is all a no brainer!

So I'll be ordering those Z36 brakes, and Bilstein shocks soon (from KOLAK) and do them all here myself.
Thanks for the input, DesertRunner