Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hi all, specifically Chevy Colorado owners. My brother-in-law is in the process of delving into this hobby head first, and as such, went out and bought the Colorado 4x4 diesel double cab. On my advise he has since added heavy duty sliders from I believe Rocky Road, and this week is leveling up the front end to get rid of the nose dive. ( whew, anything to add a bit of mpg eh?). 2 years ago my son-in-law traversed Elephant Hill in his bone stock, except sliders, 4Runner. This fall my BIL is heading west with us. Is the Colorado capable of traversing Elephant Hill, then down thru SOB Hill, then exit the park down through Beef Basin, etc. I must admit I’m a bit of a skeptic with this vehicles technical ability. Any and all thoughts will be appreciated so that I can arrange our tour accordingly.. thanks

Reactions: RJCanyon

Happy Buddha

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

University Place, WA, USA
First Name
BJ
Last Name
Herman
Member #

While I cannot speak to Elephant Hill or SOB Hill, I have not found my ZR2 lacking in my exploration around WA and OR. I love both its on road and off road capability. Its size allows it to go pretty much anywhere and I haven't needed front locker support to be keep exploring. That tells me that I have more capability in the wings.

Reactions: Graeman and MOAK

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I would agree that a person would want to have a properly equipped truck for a given venture.

With that said, more often than not ................. it's ALL about the person behind the wheel. :smile:

Reactions: Graeman

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would agree that a person would want to have a properly equipped truck for a given venture.

With that said, more often than not ................. it's ALL about the person behind the wheel. :smile:
Oh, absolutely, many of us could get a stock 2WD through a lot of areas that over built trucks somehow have a difficult time managing.. that said, all things being equal, — even you or I couldn’t get an unlocked 2WD through technical terrain

Last edited:

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
MOAK, does his Colorado have the Z71 or ZR2 package, or is it a base model? What kind of tires are on it?

I ran Elephant hill many years ago and don't remember any highly technical spots, just a really narrow section that required some care to not scrape the sides. Coincidentally, my friend in a 96 Pathfinder sheared the splines off a front axle shaft at the beginning of the trail and had to run the rest of it in 2wd. :)

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
MOAK, does his Colorado have the Z71 or ZR2 package, or is it a base model? What kind of tires are on it?

I ran Elephant hill many years ago and don't remember any highly technical spots, just a really narrow section that required some care to not scrape the sides. Coincidentally, my friend in a 96 Pathfinder sheared the splines off a front axle shaft at the beginning of the trail and had to run the rest of it in 2wd. :)
He has the Z71 package with the duramax engine with Goodyear ATs ( Kevlar sidewall)

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

A buddy of mine has a Z71 which is leveled and has the front air damn removed. It did pretty well when I was out with him in December. Although he did high center and get stuck.

20191222_161846.jpg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I had a 1st gen when they first came out. 3” BL and 2” suspension . It went everywhere. If they have improved on the design im sure with a good hand on the wheel it’s capable of more than you expect
View attachment 151697
View attachment 151698
I actually have a first gen as well. I too went all over the place in that thing. It certainly has it's weak point (front dif seals and abs sensors being the biggest pita for me), but man, that thing took some abuse. I can imagine the 2nd gen colorados are at least as capable as the first gens. I'd just get some good skid plates to protect the important bits underneath, and call it a day.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Z71 benfits from a lift, better tires, skidz, rear shock relocation or protection. I has open diff's unless G80 equipped, Just depends on what you want to do and go. The ZR2 is taller, wider, with a pair of lockers, sliders, partial skids. Lower rear shock mounts can be a issue depending on terrain, it can be fixed.

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

The Colorado/Canyon is a great platform, very capable. My Canyon hasnt let me down.

@JCWages can speak on the platforms durability as well

You guys made a great choice!!

Reactions: JCWages

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Armor, armor and more armor is your friend, they are relatively "low clearance" from factory, shock skids would be a great idea as the rear shock mounts are the lowest point

Reactions: JCWages

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The Colorado/Canyon is a great platform, very capable. My Canyon hasnt let me down.

@JCWages can speak on the platforms durability as well

You guys made a great choice!!
It was his choice not mine, personally I’d never buy new. Mine vehicle is a 96 and reliable beyond compare. However, I’ve asked about a very specific route/trail. So far no one knows.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ok, verdict is on- the Z71 did amazingly well on various trails all over the San Rafael Swell. I was impressed with the traction control and the drivers newfound abilities. However, it sat way too low to even think about traversing some of the really knarly stuff, including Elephant Hill, which isn’t all that tough to complete. My BIL is now in the process of shopping for a suspension that will get him up 2-3”s. Any suggestions?

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Front UCA's and coilovers should get you 2-3" with a major increase in performance. UCA's will allow more wheel travel and to make better use of the fancy pants coilovers when he upgrades.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Front UCA's and coilovers should get you 2-3" with a major increase in performance. UCA's will allow more wheel travel and to make better use of the fancy pants coilovers when he upgrades.
UCAs? That’s a different language than us solid axle guys are accustomed to.. what are quality mid priced kits? I saw an icon kit for 2400 bucks.. ouch.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
UCAs? That’s a different language than us solid axle guys are accustomed to.. what are quality mid priced kits? I saw an icon kit for 2400 bucks.. ouch.
Yeah.... IFS isn't cheap to lift or increase suspension performance on. The upper control arms need to be replaced in general to allow more droop. Coilovers are always going to be $$$ and then all the other bits add up.

Reactions: MOAK

mkklein #18828

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast II

Napa, CA, USA
First Name
marty
Last Name
klein
Member #

Hi, I have a 2017 z71 crew cab long bed with the diesel as well.
I installed a Peak suspension summit kit this spring and works excellent. Adjustable coils up front and upper control arms. Rear has extra leaf and shocks. Installed 31.5” tires all around. You can go up to 32 without cutting.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hi, I have a 2017 z71 crew cab long bed with the diesel as well.
I installed a Peak suspension summit kit this spring and works excellent. Adjustable coils up front and upper control arms. Rear has extra leaf and shocks. Installed 31.5” tires all around. You can go up to 32 without cutting.
Thanks, that’s excellent info- I’ll pass that kit onto my bil—