Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Early life of the build... Kings, Deavers, Dirt King UCA's & cams, Diff lowering kit, longer King shock shafts and rod ends... Still need a fiberglass camper shell and roof rack!

Most important aspect of the truck is making sure my 4 legged friend has a good spot :) Ranger the Ridgback is one happy pup in the truck.
unnamed (5).jpg

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Early life of the build... Kings, Deavers, Dirt King UCA's & cams, Diff lowering kit, longer King shock shafts and rod ends... Still need a fiberglass camper shell and roof rack!

Most important aspect of the truck is making sure my 4 legged friend has a good spot :) Ranger the Ridgback is one happy pup in the truck.
View attachment 225778
Mollie the overland hound has her favorite spot too. She hates my daily rig, even though it’s also a Tahoe.

C471C4E2-2B3A-4C13-96F5-E691E8818D52.jpeg

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Finally getting the 315.70.17’s (-12 offset wheel so just a little poke) installed. As expected and after checking full droop and low setting on the kings, will require a NorCal mod on the cab corners at the rear of the front fenders to clear @ full compression and full lock. Front of the wheel well doesn’t look terrible but will need some trimming. Shopping for a high clearance bumper anyway ;) 1B32ADF5-857D-4997-8C30-D7C9AF4F5DDF.jpeg

I do have to say, this tire wheel combo should be available from factory.

Attachments

Reactions: BPK6

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

This seems like a good thread to post this but can start a new one if needed. I'm looking for a few parts & upgrades that I can't really find what I'm looking for. Crowdsourcing here for ideas.

the rig: '16 Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2/8spd

1 - auxiliary fuel cell that can be mounted under the body (inside the frame rails or in place of the spare tire). I will be going with either a hitch-mounted spare carrier or a bumper spare carrier and want to utilize this space. Factory fuel capacity is limited and, for me, having extra fuel capacity is very worthwhile peace of mind when going out of bounds and in bug-out scenarios. Currently driving around with a 14 gallon Northern Tool Fuel Caddy ratcheted to the the bed and it's not a permanent solution. Limited to no options available. DOT issues seem to impact the availability of these parts. Has anyone adapted marine tanks for Overlanding applications? I'm not looking for an integrated-type of tank where I flip a switch on the fly and the Aux tank fills the factory tank as this can and will cause issues with the factory computer freaking out. I'll accept shutting the truck down, pumping from Aux to factory tank, starting back up and getting back underway to keep the computer happy.

2 - steel or aluminum skid plates. The factory GM Z71 "skid plates" are not adequate. Looking for bumper to engine coverage, A-arms, and fuel tank. Limited to no options available. SDHQ and others offer some parts but not all. Wondering if I need to make friends with a fabricator. SDHQ: '16-18 Chevy 1500 SDHQ Built Skid Plate System

3 - Front winch bumper that doesn't look like S***. I love the OEM+ look where some mods and additions are more integrated that tie into the design/lines of the vehicle (where possible). Looking for something with a brush-guard + bull bar, and winch mount with Aux light mounts. As such, I can't find a bumper that looks or functions decent. I say this comparing Chevy aftermarket parts to like the Toyota tacoma/4runner market where you have amazing looking bumpers from the likes of CBI, etc. Most of the options out there for us full-size guys stick wayy to far out in the front and like bubba gumps' lower lip, will definitely "get caught on a trip wire" i.e., approach angles are rubbish. If I need to cut/modify the vehicle to fit something already out there, I'm happy to get the plasma and welder out. I'm getting adventurous with this build.

4 - rear high clearance bumper and tire carrier. Again, sim to the front bumper, not a lot of options out there for Chevy's. Seem to be several options for hitch-mounted carriers and I'm eager to hear what the impression is from them if any of you have used them. Right now, I'm liking the Expedition One parts despite the price: 1500

Any feedback is appreciated. As I mentioned, I'm open to modding parts to fit if needed but am just looking for insight from the experts here!

AirbossWiley

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Holly, MI, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Wiley
Member #

@dp454so I've had good luck with my GoRhino winch mount for my 2012, yet to remount the winch on this new one (had to replace due to a wreck). I'm also wanting to go with the spare tire swing arm but can't justify the $2300+ for the Expedition One bumper. I picked up the tire carrier kit from EMS Offroad so I can fab one up myself at a fraction of the priceRoof Rack.jpgSwing Arm.PNG

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

@dp454so I've had good luck with my GoRhino winch mount for my 2012, yet to remount the winch on this new one (had to replace due to a wreck). I'm also wanting to go with the spare tire swing arm but can't justify the $2300+ for the Expedition One bumper. I picked up the tire carrier kit from EMS Offroad so I can fab one up myself at a fraction of the priceView attachment 229399View attachment 229402
Awesome rig. Keep us posted on how you fab up the spar tire carrier because, like you, I don't care to spend primo cash for the Expedition One bumper.

I love how your bumper/bull guard has the headlight/brush guards. We have so many damn whitetail where I spend much of my time back in WV, that it's almost a necessity. Had a deer knock out both headlights on me on college and blew up the hood latch, driving down the road with my head out the window isn't my idea of a good time ;)

Overall, how is that 2012 treating you? Any expensive issues or repairs of note?

AirbossWiley

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Holly, MI, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Wiley
Member #

Awesome rig. Keep us posted on how you fab up the spar tire carrier because, like you, I don't care to spend primo cash for the Expedition One bumper.

I love how your bumper/bull guard has the headlight/brush guards. We have so many damn whitetail where I spend much of my time back in WV, that it's almost a necessity. Had a deer knock out both headlights on me on college and blew up the hood latch, driving down the road with my head out the window isn't my idea of a good time ;)

Overall, how is that 2012 treating you? Any expensive issues or repairs of note?
I totally feel you one the deer, I'm in the middle of woods & farm land at home so its a constant battle to avoid them. I will for sure be making a thread when I start the fab on the bumper.

For being a 10 year old truck the 2012 is holding up great, no major issues or repairs yet (outside the accident). Its got 127k on it so it still has plenty of life, only plan to mess with the powertrain would be to disable the AFM and put a cam in it for a little more power.

I would really like to fab up a snorkel to get cleaner air on the trail and it would help on my commute to work as Detroit has a small tendency to flood on every freeway when it rains. Only downside is I am yet to find one, only one I have seen for the GMT900 is for a Duramax and the company is in Australia

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Why are there no rock sliders for Chevy's? My buddy has a 1500 with a 6.5' bed...nothing...any leads would be nice.
Good question. Some of the best I have found are here: Chevy Silverado rock slider: Chevrolet Silverado Step kit slider... TRUE Rock Sliders! I like them because they are frame mounted sliders & steps. Per recent emails with them, lead time was 6-8weeks and climbing. Not a lot of fully welded, frame mounted sliders like this out there. I'm curious if anyone here has had custom sliders fabbed up or fabbed them up themselves...?

Reactions: jdunk

AirbossWiley

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Holly, MI, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Wiley
Member #

Good question. Some of the best I have found are here: Chevy Silverado rock slider: Chevrolet Silverado Step kit slider... TRUE Rock Sliders! I like them because they are frame mounted sliders & steps. Per recent emails with them, lead time was 6-8weeks and climbing. Not a lot of fully welded, frame mounted sliders like this out there. I'm curious if anyone here has had custom sliders fabbed up or fabbed them up themselves...?
That Is Also On My Upcoming Fabrication List, Planning To Build Something Like These...Sliders.PNG

Seems Like The 07-13 Is The Lost Generation In The Aftermarket, Not A Lot Out There

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

After building my last overland rig too heavy, I'm taking this a little bit more slowly and being particular about how I'm going to build it.

First on the list was the lockable bed cover, but next is the suspension. I'm not sure what products, how much lift, or how much more stiff I'm going to make it. Getting it at least closet to the height of the trailer and the lift that comes with its "Exploration Package" is a goal.

I don't intend to add any bumpers to this build.

After that I'm going to figure out onboard air, a tad more driving light, and the insanity that's going to be my comms setup. (I'm a nerd).

She's a dream to drive though!

'22 LTD High Country (1500)
3.0 Duramax
Max Tow

47766B77-AD6A-4AE9-8270-0531C6A8A7D3.jpg1078C7EA-FB3B-48AB-8F67-D926FB1AD72C.jpgIMG_8102.jpg

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

After building my last overland rig too heavy, I'm taking this a little bit more slowly and being particular about how I'm going to build it.

First on the list was the lockable bed cover, but next is the suspension. I'm not sure what products, how much lift, or how much more stiff I'm going to make it. Getting it at least closet to the height of the trailer and the lift that comes with its "Exploration Package" is a goal.

I don't intend to add any bumpers to this build.

After that I'm going to figure out onboard air, a tad more driving light, and the insanity that's going to be my comms setup. (I'm a nerd).

She's a dream to drive though!

'22 LTD High Country (1500)
3.0 Duramax
Max Tow

View attachment 231178View attachment 231179View attachment 231180
Nice looking Chevy! Sounds like you have a direction and I’ll definitely tune in when you start doing the electronics. (I have a lot to learn:))

If you’re towing that trailer a lot, will you go with sumo springs or something Similar to assist with the weight?

Fwiw, I put a Deaver J1 mini pack under my factory leafs (without the block) and gained about 1” of lift. I like the setup and the more weight I have in the bed, the more balanced the truck suspension feels front to rear. This leaves me with about 1.5” rake front to rear. You’d need to bring the front up a little but that’s pretty easy and depends most on how much you want to spend. With onboard air, you could air bag the rear axle, cheaper option would be sumos or something similar.

Cheers and good luck.

Reactions: jdunk

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Nice looking Chevy! Sounds like you have a direction and I’ll definitely tune in when you start doing the electronics. (I have a lot to learn:))

If you’re towing that trailer a lot, will you go with sumo springs or something Similar to assist with the weight?

Fwiw, I put a Deaver J1 mini pack under my factory leafs (without the block) and gained about 1” of lift. I like the setup and the more weight I have in the bed, the more balanced the truck suspension feels front to rear. This leaves me with about 1.5” rake front to rear. You’d need to bring the front up a little but that’s pretty easy and depends most on how much you want to spend. With onboard air, you could air bag the rear axle, cheaper option would be sumos or something similar.

Cheers and good luck.
Thanks! She's been great so far!

I imagine I'm going to have to take her up at least 2 or 3 inches to get to the height of the trailer. I expect that it's going to be a combination of a lot of things. More springs, new shocks, and depending on how heavy I want to support for cargo/tongue weight, I may put some air bags in to support it.

the goal will be to safely handle the trailer at slow speeds WITHOUT the NEED of a weight distribution hitch. It's great for the freeway, but I intend to take my setup a little further off the beaten path and would like to remove the extra stress that the WDH adds to the frame of the truck and trailer.

I've already had an initial chat with the people over at MULE Expedition Outfitters. They have some ideas, and I have always been happy with the work that they've done for me in the past.

I'll probably create a build thread at some point, documenting the process. (I'll add it to the signature when I do)

I have some grand ideas for the electronics, and I'll draw the plan out so that I can build it to support future upgrades.

I ripped so much out of the Commander in order to improve it, or add something else. I don't want to make that mistake again.

Reactions: dp454so

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

@dp454so I've had good luck with my GoRhino winch mount for my 2012, yet to remount the winch on this new one (had to replace due to a wreck). I'm also wanting to go with the spare tire swing arm but can't justify the $2300+ for the Expedition One bumper. I picked up the tire carrier kit from EMS Offroad so I can fab one up myself at a fraction of the priceView attachment 229399View attachment 229402
@AirbossWiley , what's that roof basket, please? I have a '14 Sierra with a canopy and wonder if it might be a good option for me