Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hi all, my brother-in-law recently purchased a brand new Chevy Colorado ( diesel ) and is looking to get its nose out of the ground. My being the family expert on such things, he has come to me asking for advice. I’m clueless. Is it wrong of me to think that aftermarket control arms should be forged? Every kit he showed me did not impress me, and a couple of brands are known in the industry to be cheap junk. ARB ( OME ) of which I’ve relied on for over 20 years or Dobinsons have nothing for Chevy.. what is the best money spent for a mild lift on these trucks? Thanks!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Most all aftermarket UCA are tube steel. There are lifts that do not require new uca's. SPC has UCA's, I'm waiting for the ZR2 version.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Peck coilover kit

Eibach

BDS if you want a lot of lift, cv angle gets sketchy if you go high.

ARB/OME has a nice kit that does both ends, I'm ordering the OME rear leafs for my ZR2.

You could always look for a totaled ZR2 and swap in that suspension with front and rear lockers.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Does he want a actual lift or just leveled out? Ive gotten by with leveling kits for quite a while. I stopped doing lifts over 4 inch too much breaks too quick especially on these ifs trucks. On my way home from indianapolis yesterday i seen a zr2 that had a lift covered in mud on a trailer with its wheels tacoed outwards it looked as though he broke his tie rods then when i got to arkansas i seen a dodge ram that was lifted maybe 12 inch with 42" tires on the side of the road with its front tires nearly touching. For me i use a 3 inch spacers in the front i had my dad machine on the cnc, the actual thickness needed is 1.75 inches to get a 3 inch lift, i dropped the front axle and sway bar by 1.5 inches then in the rear has 2-3" adjustable shackles that i run at 3" with silverado shocks in the rear. And i run 2" wheel spacers and 33" tires with absolutely no problems so far, we arent soft on our truck neither it sees rocks and mud regularly plus my wife has been using it as a daily driver for atleast a year now on a 100 mile daily commute, our truck has over 70,000 miles on it so far and its a 2017 diesel colorado.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Does he want a actual lift or just leveled out? Ive gotten by with leveling kits for quite a while. I stopped doing lifts over 4 inch too much breaks too quick especially on these ifs trucks. On my way home from indianapolis yesterday i seen a zr2 that had a lift covered in mud on a trailer with its wheels tacoed outwards it looked as though he broke his tie rods then when i got to arkansas i seen a dodge ram that was lifted maybe 12 inch with 42" tires on the side of the road with its front tires nearly touching. For me i use a 3 inch spacers in the front i had my dad machine on the cnc, the actual thickness needed is 1.75 inches to get a 3 inch lift, i dropped the front axle and sway bar by 1.5 inches then in the rear has 2-3" adjustable shackles that i run at 3" with silverado shocks in the rear. And i run 2" wheel spacers and 33" tires with absolutely no problems so far, we arent soft on our truck neither it sees rocks and mud regularly plus my wife has been using it as a daily driver for atleast a year now on a 100 mile daily commute, our truck has over 70,000 miles on it so far and its a 2017 diesel colorado.
There is a problem with the tie rod ends and the amount of thread contact when these are lifted past a point. I've read about a after market end that is longer but have not seen them. The ZR2 is already 2" higher and 3+" wider, I've lifted mine about 1", doesn't effect the position sensitive DSSV shocks and with trimming can fit 34" tires. CV angle is still good and I don't need a step to get in the truck.

Reactions: JCWages