VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys I’m looking for some routes trails and campsites in the Cherokee national forest if anyone has any that could share would be great! Ive seen something called the Smokey mountain 1000 i was wondering if anyone knows the routes for this? Thanks for any info

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Reactions: grubworm and J.W.

dbosler

Rank 0

Contributor I

Atlanta, GA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Bosler
We were up there last weekend and had a great time camping at Citico creek, campsite #9. We drove around and found 14 campsites, but they fill up really quick. Great driving around on all the gravel rodes.

Cherokee National Forest Citico Creek Campsite 3 · Vonore, TN 37885 Cherokee National Forest Citico Creek Campsite 3
(423) 25rides.

Attachments

Reactions: Tundracamper

Team4M

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martell
Member #

Contributor II

East Tennessee
First Name
James
Last Name
vvvvv
We go there quite a bit. There are quite a few camp sites outside of the established areas if you drive around and keep your eyes open. But they are, in my opinion, much better than the pay ones. Much more remote and not as trashed up in some of them. Citico Creek is nice, but there is another one called Holly Flats that I think looks way better and I don't think it gets as much traffic as it is kind of further out to get to.

nmproia

Rank I

Contributor II

Atlanta, GA, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Proia
Me and a couple buddies are going to spend 2 nights up there next week!

We are basically doing the Big Frog Loop, but with a mission to explore all the unmaintained side trails. I have mapped everything out on Gaia and hope to mark all the trails as we go along.

Attachments

Reactions: Flequus

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Me and a couple buddies are going to spend 2 nights up there next week!

We are basically doing the Big Frog Loop, but with a mission to explore all the unmaintained side trails. I have mapped everything out on Gaia and hope to mark all the trails as we go along.
On your first night, I’d suggest camping a little further in, if it’s not busy. Here is one of my favorite spots:

9AE99C63-D8BA-4FE8-928D-A1AF5A540472.jpeg

And, if you go further north, up north of Thunder Rock, there are several big sites on top of hills. Really nice sites:

3A59C96A-05A7-4E6D-A667-7AFAE33AEA09.jpeg

Although it’s not marked, there is a really nice site next to a creek at the end of 2216 (I think). There are some mud pudddles and overgrowth, but it was drivable last year. Very private site at end of road.

511B7FC2-4640-4575-9F71-83D8F5E1E48C.jpeg

Have fun!

Reactions: Flequus

nmproia

Rank I

Contributor II

Atlanta, GA, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Proia
Thanks for the awesome info! I really like the look of that first campsite; we will see if we can make it there for night #1. Will be getting there around 5pm but should definitely be able to make it at least that far in before sundown.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Thanks for the awesome info! I really like the look of that first campsite; we will see if we can make it there for night #1. Will be getting there around 5pm but should definitely be able to make it at least that far in before sundown.
Did u go? I’d like to hear what u discovered.

bhayes423

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Knoxville
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Hayes
I think I'm gonna brave the weather and go down in the Tellico area tonight. There's a really cool spot on FS 341 that is in the middle of two creeks. I'll snag some pics if the rain lets up.

Reactions: Tundracamper