Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

It is a good idea though, and definitely something you could cobble up on the fly if needed.

On a similar but unrelated note filtering cheap vodka through one of these does improve the "flavor" somewhat, but it takes a number of passes to make it noticeable.

Reactions: AZ Trooper

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hard to tell if the filter is sealed in the new funnel hole, or slid down to a snug fit. You don't want any water getting by between the outside of the filter and the funnel.

Here's a really interesting piece I've had bookmarked since I worked in Fargo, from the North Dakota AG Dept on water filtration. Check especially section #6: Caution About Bacteria When Using Activated-carbon Filters

Also something to watch carefully is not letting mold grow in your activated-carbon filter, which it can easily do if heavily used then stored in humid climates. Mold in a filter then gets in your water and can give you diarrhea, fever, headaches, etc.

Activated-carbon works by absorbing dirt, VOCs, and other organic matter but aren't very good at absorbing salts and minerals, nor will they absorb inorganic materials that are dissolved into the water you're filtering. Because they absorb, not destroy or eliminate, they eventually get to the point where absorption slows, then stops, from being too clogged. That's a lot of organic matter ripe for spoilage and mold.

Activated-carbon filters are great, but are worth understanding their limits and usage.

Last edited:

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Side note: if you ever want to dump weight faster then any fad diet just give yourself a dose of cryptosporidium and then hike 2-3 days into the Cascades.

Guaranteed or your money back!

Last edited:

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Looking back hilariously since the stuff literally purges all the fluid out of your body with explosive force. By the second day on the trail you lose any sense of vanity you may have had and are just in awe of what your body is capable of. At least I was, my girlfriend was pretty sure she was dying :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Last edited:
Reactions: Trail Runner Bowser

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Any thoughts on the msr gurdian? I’m looking at that for my water solution. https://www.msrgear.com/guardian-purifier
MSR is a proven brand. I’ve had aN MSR whisper lite stove for almost 30 years although not much of it is still original it does exactly what’s its supposed to and is stupid simple. It’s well used. As for the filter it would totally depend on the application? My only complaint with the filter would be the same as the stove. Plastic parts. I’ve broke And or wore out a couple plastic pump type filters. A Sweetwater and a PUR, there is also the issue of freezing and cracking if not 100% purged if you are camping in sub zero temps. For a pump type filter I’d look at the Katadyn Pocket filter for about the same money I believe? Not the lightest but built like a tank and well proven. For backpacking where size and weight is a concern I’m looking at more of the gravity or squeeze type filters. More of a inline carriage than a pump type filter. Less parts to break and super compact and light. The Sawyer filter is one of the most popular and you will probably find it in about every pack carried by hikers doing longer trips like the appellation trail or the PCT. They are also very inexpensive. That said I’d have zero issues trusting and using the MSR if it was what I had. If you are shopping I hope this helps.

Mike harpe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

MSR is a proven brand. I’ve had aN MSR whisper lite stove for almost 30 years although not much of it is still original it does exactly what’s its supposed to and is stupid simple. It’s well used. As for the filter it would totally depend on the application? My only complaint with the filter would be the same as the stove. Plastic parts. I’ve broke And or wore out a couple plastic pump type filters. A Sweetwater and a PUR, there is also the issue of freezing and cracking if not 100% purged if you are camping in sub zero temps. For a pump type filter I’d look at the Katadyn Pocket filter for about the same money I believe? Not the lightest but built like a tank and well proven. For backpacking where size and weight is a concern I’m looking at more of the gravity or squeeze type filters. More of a inline carriage than a pump type filter. Less parts to break and super compact and light. The Sawyer filter is one of the most popular and you will probably find it in about every pack carried by hikers doing longer trips like the appellation trail or the PCT. They are also very inexpensive. That said I’d have zero issues trusting and using the MSR if it was what I had. If you are shopping I hope this helps.
i am shopping and thought lifestraw was the best.. maybe they are just the most marketed? i saw the youtube video that MSR put out about the guardian when they took it to brazil. i was sold off the video, but a lot of people in the reviews have complained about the plastic connection breaking where the handle meets the piston. however, they also stated that they were having to use a lot of force to move the water through it.. maybe they didnt perform good enough maintenance in making sure there wasnt too much sludge compared to actual water? i dont know.. i like the katagyn expedition filter but its $1,124. however when dealing with needing to make drinkable water from infested sources money isnt an object lol. it does seem like it will hold up better since its a bicycle style verticle pump..thoughts?

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

i am shopping and thought lifestraw was the best.. maybe they are just the most marketed? i saw the youtube video that MSR put out about the guardian when they took it to brazil. i was sold off the video, but a lot of people in the reviews have complained about the plastic connection breaking where the handle meets the piston. however, they also stated that they were having to use a lot of force to move the water through it.. maybe they didnt perform good enough maintenance in making sure there wasnt too much sludge compared to actual water? i dont know.. i like the katagyn expedition filter but its $1,124. however when dealing with needing to make drinkable water from infested sources money isnt an object lol. it does seem like it will hold up better since its a bicycle style verticle pump..thoughts?
EBB74FEB-1F61-458D-A63C-DEB7C027AE29.jpeg

Life straws are great and we have them in our bugout bags. Even though I carry a fair quantity of water in my rig when I travel I’m looking to throw together a portable gravity system with the sawyer filter. I plan on just plumbing a 5 gallon bucket so I can add the sawyer filter inline and then hang the bucket off my rig or a tree and allow it to gravity fill jugs & bottles. Kinda set it and forget it, or put one of my kids in charge of filling containers .

Reactions: Mike harpe