Charging backup batteries with GZ solar chargers

• HTML tutorial

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'm waiting to get into the solar generation game, but I'm not ready to jump in both feet. I currently have a backup battery/jump starter/all kinds of nonsense that I use as a secondary battery, but am getting tired of having to run the car to charge it.

I'm debating on buying into the GZ ecosystem, so I was wondering if I makes sense to use one of their larger solar panels plus a 12v adapter to charge a non GZ battery.

I have this right now:

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

I'm not familiar with GZ ecosystem. Charging a car battery with solar is simple. All you need is a panel rated to charge 12v battery and a solar charger. You do need to do a little research about your battery so you can set the settings on the charger correctly. Attached is a link to a all in one set up. Go Power! GP-PSK-120 120W Portable Folding Solar Kit with 10 Amp Solar Controller

Reactions: Zargon

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

That's one of the things I was thinking about. The issue I can see with going with Goal Zero is the ecosystem. It's like buying an Apple product, once you get one, it makes sense to keep buying from them. But just getting a panel, controller and some batteries and doing it myself would mean I could buy whatever I wanted... to a point... instead of just what one company puts out. That might be a better solution here, but there's always something to be said about spending the extra money and getting that fancy warranty and guaranteed compatibility.

Reactions: RealMcCoy

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

I have always liked having my electric be integrated into my car. So the alternator helps charger it. But I'm a electrician and a little bias when it comes to electrical system. I just looked up GZ. They appear to make good products. I did see you can charge it from your car. I would be interested in how long that would take. I do know that I have a Micro-Start XP-10 that I can charge from my car and it takes forever and a day.

Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-10 Multi-Function Power Supply and Jump Starter

Reactions: odingrey

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

My Schumacher battery takes forever to charge and it tends to kill my starter battery if I'm not careful. I haven't upgraded my starter battery or alternator yet, so that probably doesn't help. I also don't have any kind of way to turn off the flow if the main battery gets too low outside of just turning the car off, or physically walking to the back of the truck and turning it off.

I'm working on fixing that too...

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

The battery is currently (ha, pun) charged through 12v cigarette plugs, think it would be worth the effort to get a vsr with that?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Solar charge controllers are only $30, sometimes less on ebay, it will eliminate lots of real problems and prevent potential problems.

My co worker that is into solar for overlanding is slowly tweaking his system. Right now he has a pair of 100 watt solar panels for when he is parked. He also ran the trailer running light to one port if the charge controller. This way, the vehicle provides a trickle charge while running and doesn't blow any fuses or risk fires from high amp draw.

Reactions: Zargon and odingrey

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

My system can bring a charge to my aux batteries in three ways, 1st its called an ACR battery link , the use them on boats, the link is connected between the positive of the vehicles batt. And the aux batts. When you start the engine the link senses the charge ,
links both batts and charges both sets. When you turn the engine off it disconnects the batts so your start batt is disconnected so you don't have to worry the next morning with the truck not starting. So basically the whole time your driving your charging all your batts
2nd When the truck is shut off and the batts disconnect, I have a 125W solar panel with a Morningstar controller that delivers a 10A charge to either or both of the aux batts, 2 group 31 AGM deep cycles.
3rd. A Xantrex 20A Marine charger that charges the aux batts, I can plug the truck in to 120V AC , or my 2000W Yamaha gen/inverter
The 2 AGM deep cycles run a 2000 W inverter and all D.C. Accessories, CB, 2M, marine VHF radios
If anyone needs help in systems like this, I used to do high end marine electrical and electronic installs for a living before I retired give me a shout!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: skeeter81