Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I just bought a 04 F150 super cab with 183,000 miles. The truck sat at the little dealership for several months. At the end of the month going to have the truck tuned up. Where the truck sat for several months should I get the radiator flushed as well as the oil changed? Should I get the transmission fluid changed? I have no idea when and if it’s ever been changed. If I change it can I have issues or damage the transmission?

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Well since the truck is "new" to you I would change all the fluids, new quality filters, maybe new spark plugs and check the lights, wiper blades, shocks, belts, hoses and batteries. That way you know it's all been done and things are good to go. For me that's piece of mind.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Yes. Just do it. That way you can start your service intervals now rather then guess when it might need it.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ehh would check the quality of fluids first. No sense of changing out good fluids. Engine oil is easily identified as good or bad. You can get coolant strips or a refractometer to test coolant quality. And check the trans and case fluid. Should be mercon v so red in color. If the trand fluid is brown in color you could change it. Dont flush it but filter and change and add fluid. It may not need it. If the fluid is real dark or burnt I wouldn't even bother and just run it till it burns up the rest of the clutches. If diff fluid is dark In color I'd change it but if pilsner in color leave it be.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

If money is tight, do as stoney126 said and check it out first. However, changing all the fluids is not something you will regret. You will never "hurt" your vehicle by changing all the fluids and it will give you a starting point and peace of mind.
Do you have to? No, will it hurt? No.
I say if you can afford it, do it all. If not, have it inspected and do what they say should be done.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

I was specifically told NOT to change my trans fluid because it had been neglected so long. They said once a tranny has been running for a really long time on thick nasty fluid, if you change it out it might blow up. no clue if that is an old wives' tale, but a mechanic at a shop told me that and he thought he was going to get money to change it. so take that for whats its worth. He told me just to add "treatment" fluid as it needed it.

All other fluids, though, are fair game.

This is exactly the same process I went through when I got my Disco II, replaced oil, trans x2, transfer case, and added an entire bottle of tranny fluid treatment. keep in mind, its a land rover, so everything leaks. which actually works in my favor for the trans because I get to slowly change out the old terrible fluid with new fluid. haha.

And since all my brake lines need replacing, it should have new brake fluid shortly... and lines. and rotors. and pads. and calipers.... hahaha

my .02

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

What I have done is this. More of a combo of everything mentioned above.
I change the motor oil and if automatic, the fluid. Check all the hoses, belts, and filters. Check the axles and t-case , manual trans. oil. If the oil looks fine, top everything off, or change if I questioned anything. You can take it to a trusted mechanic and have them give you a second opinion if you are machanical challenged! I also watch the oil use and color in both motor and transmission through the first oil change interval. And check everything on a regular basis. Again, if you have any doubts about the maintenance done before, replacing everything gives you a good starting point. Good luck with you “new truck”. Vance.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

A mechanic told you not to change the transmission fluid because if you did it might "blow up".

Find another mechanic...
I second that, been working on vehicles a long time and never heard that one. About like changing blinker fluid. Auto trans fluid is on of the most versatile oils out there it can be used as of course trans fluid but it will also stop leaks in rack and pinion steering and works as a lube/clp for firearms. Trans fluid is the synthetic equivalent of whale oil which was originally used on guns.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Les sigh. Master tech.

Changing fluid on a good transmission does no harm at all.

Changing fluid on a completely worn out transmission will cause it to slip and fail. Clutches in your transmission have thick amounts of friction material. When that material wears off, it floats around in the fluid. Worn out clutches may still grab ok, if there is enough friction material IN the fluid. As soon as you dump the old ATF the trans fails and starts slipping because there is no longer any friction material left. This fluid should look burnt.

Change your diff lube, xfer case lube, oil, atf, trans filter. Test your coolant, any question about it, have it flushed out. Upgrade your rear diff cover to a proper armored unit, like from Motobilt. Use a turkey baster to remove your brake fluid, replace, and bleed the brakes well.

On another note: If the truck runs well, and shifts well. It is no big deal at all if the trans fails after replacing the ATF. Just have it rebuilt. It's a simple task, not heart surgery like everyone thinks. I'd rather rebuild your trans than change your timing chain. Perfectly good transmissions need clutches and pressure plates replaced due to wear, every day. I really shake my head when a perfectly good truck gets scrapped or traded in, due to minor trans issues.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I would plan to change fluids.

Alluded to, but not detailed, would be brake fluid. Over time brake fluid collects water and gets dark. If it looks dark it would be a good idea to suction out the fluid in the master cylinder, fill with new fluid and then bleed the brakes until the new stuff is coming out of the bleeders.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Just don't suck it all out in one go. You'll get air in the lines, maybe. Half out, fill, half out, fill, etc.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Going to change the fluids. Unfortunately on a set income so can’t do it all at once. Going to do the oil and radiator fluids first. When I get to the differentials should I change the covers to a better cover? What do you recommend?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
There is room for debate on what constitutes a better cover. You might want to look up Gale Banks on Youtube, particularly his series of videos on the subject of differential covers. Some of those high end covers do a poor job of managing oil flow inside the pumpkin.

Unless there is something wrong with the covers you have you are probably better off putting your limited funds to other uses.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

There is room for debate on what constitutes a better cover. You might want to look up Gale Banks on Youtube, particularly his series of videos on the subject of differential covers. Some of those high end covers do a poor job of managing oil flow inside the pumpkin.

Unless there is something wrong with the covers you have you are probably better off putting your limited funds to other uses.
The covers look in good shape. You are right about putting my limited funds to other uses. It does stink to no longer be working.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have always changed out all the fluids on a new to me rig, just to "re-zero" it so to speak. It can also give you a good window into the condition of components if you pay attention to the oil. As far as diff covers, I wouldnt. Only reason I would get different diff covers is if you plan on parking your diffs on top of rocks all time (or if your towing a bunch and running huge horse power). Even under heavy towing I didnt have problems with oil overheating with the old factory tin cover on the Dana70 under the rear of my Dodge. Just run name brand oil, keep up on changes, and keep the level in spec.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I have always changed out all the fluids on a new to me rig, just to "re-zero" it so to speak. It can also give you a good window into the condition of components if you pay attention to the oil. As far as diff covers, I wouldnt. Only reason I would get different diff covers is if you plan on parking your diffs on top of rocks all time (or if your towing a bunch and running huge horse power). Even under heavy towing I didnt have problems with oil overheating with the old factory tin cover on the Dana70 under the rear of my Dodge. Just run name brand oil, keep up on changes, and keep the level in spec.
Going to be changing oil and coolant next week. Only thing I’ll be towing once everything is done is a friends horse trailer.