Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I'd just gotten the FJ about where I wanted it, but...towing my trailer was marginal, at best. I felt that the FJ was gutting it out to pull the Winnebago Drop and it really needed a V8 to do a proper job. I considered a crew cab F150 and Tundra, both of which would've been more than adequate, but I wanted a vehicle that could be close to the FJ in trail ability. A 4Runner was in the mix but a V8 version is really hard to come by and Land Cruisers were all high mileage and very pricey around here. I watched a couple of YouTube videos by Andrew St. Pierre White on an overland trip in the Pacific NW using a loaner GX470, and his praise of the GX. He felt the GX was simply a rebranded LandCruiser Prado 120 and was every bit as robust as the LandCruiser and most had been "mall crawlers" never seeing off roading.

So the decision was made to hunt down a low mile GX and one was found a few weeks later. It was owned by a golf pro and never saw dirt. Here she is:
GX1.jpg

GX2.jpg

I'll be changing tires this spring as she's got Pirrelli 265/65R17. Tires suggestions are welcome, but, I probably won't be doing a lift. The ARB awning will be reinstalled in the next few days, as soon as the Rago brackets arrive. The fridge/cabinet unit will transfer from the FJ and fit nicely in the GX with 1" to spare, but the third rows seats have to be uninstalled first.
Iris Storage Drawer.jpg

Still have to work out the secure points but understand there are 4 lashdown D hooks in the GX and will probably install turnbuckles on the front corners of the cabinet, just like the pair on the back. My SIL is on vacation till the 1st so we should have plenty of time to transfer/install all the gear. (and run new power for the fridge)

Driving impressions are this vehicle is tight, solid, strong acceleration, and very luxurious. My first tank was all highway with cruise set at 72, which delivered 20.4 mpg. Second tank is a mix of city/highway and has gotten 18.3 mpg. This level of economy has been quite a pleasant surprise as the GX is known to be somewhat thirsty. Oh, should have told that the gas was Premium 93 octane. (don't plan on regular ever seeing the inside tank of this baby)

Also, could use suggestions on mounting on the factory roof rack my MaxTrax. Any other tweaks you can suggest?

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Congrats!

GX’s are very capable in stock form. I have a 2008 with factory suspension and 275/70r17 tires.

If you have Facebook, GXOR is a great resource. Also, the 120 forum on ih8mud has lots of folks with builds from mild to wild.

Reactions: SashaLee