Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

My saw is one a buddy and I literally found in the forest 9 years ago. We stumbled upon an arrested felons bug-out camp in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Nat'l Forest. It was next to a couple 5 gallon buckets full of beans.

35cc Homelite. I put a new spark plug and threw a new bar and chain on it. Been running like a champ ever since.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My saw is one a buddy and I literally found in the forest 9 years ago. We stumbled upon an arrested felons bug-out camp in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Nat'l Forest. It was next to a couple 5 gallon buckets full of beans.

35cc Homelite. I put a new spark plug and threw a new bar and chain on it. Been running like a champ ever since.
Interesting story... great find

Reactions: USStrongman

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Currently use an electric saw ran off of my inverter. Looking to move to lithium Ion powered in the near future. Don't really care for gas for my uses. If I need anything more than what I've got I probably don't need to go that way :D

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Id go for the cordless electric chainsaws.
For some reason i dont have good luck with small engines especially 2 strokes, or any 4 stroke under 50cc. Ive blown up so many tiny gas engines its riddiculous, With larger gas engines not a single problem.

I kind of enjoy using a hand saws though you get a workout and a different sense of satisfaction, sure it takes longer but there are folks on here that like winching with hilifts and come alongs. Ill take hand sawing over hand winching any day.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have a Stihl 271 Ranch Boss with 20" bar. Overkill for *most* of the places I go. However, we have a family cabin way out in the Payette National Forest (and I mean a real cabin... no electricity, hours and hours from cell signal, etc.). When we go out there, especially at the start of the season just after the thaw there are always TONS of downed trees. If it wasn't for that use-case I'd prob just get something electric...

-TJ

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I carry a Stihl MSA 160 with a 12 " bar and two AP300 batteries. Usually have two extra chains and a bottle of bar oil. This saw is light, and does not leak oil or 2 Stroke gas/oil inside the JK. I actually have several battery powered chainsaws. The Greenworks 20312 40V GMax with a 16" bar is also a very good saw that I use on forestry property projects. The Stihl MSA 160 just fits in the Jeep 2-Door better.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I carry a Stihl MSA 160 with a 12 " bar and two AP300 batteries. Usually have two extra chains and a bottle of bar oil. This saw is light, and does not leak oil or 2 Stroke gas/oil inside the JK. I actually have several battery powered chainsaws. The Greenworks 20312 40V GMax with a 16" bar is also a very good saw that I use on forestry property projects. The Stihl MSA 160 just fits in the Jeep 2-Door better.
Great info.

-TJ