Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

There are a few trails I frequent in Stanislaus National Forest that often have downed trees. I carrier a bow saw and axe, however I actually have seen trees as large as 18" in diameter down, too big for the bow saw and a lot of work with the axe. So I was thinking chainsaw, however I am a total chainsaw novice, what should I look for and what do I need besides the chainsaw?

Reactions: YYJ-JKUR

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

If you want a good recommendation for a chainsaw I have a echo CS590 and has been the best chainsaw I've ever had on the trail. Even more so then the last stihl I had. Just be sure to bring the proper safety gear, extra chain, oil (or premix) and sharpener.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Overland USA

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
If you want a good recommendation for a chainsaw I have a echo CS590 and has been the best chainsaw I've ever had on the trail. Even more so then the last stihl I had. Just be sure to bring the proper safety gear, extra chain, oil (or premix) and sharpener.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app
thank you for the information. The echo has good reviews.

jtranum

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cleveland, MS
Member #

In the south east US a good saw can be the difference between a great weekend on the trails or being force to head back early. I carry a 18” Stihl MS250 everywhere, some of the trees that fall on the trails in Arkansas need every inch of that 18” bar.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: PinnaclePete

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Once you read the boot camp thread and want to pick up a saw consider local parts availability. Husqvarna and Stihl are first picks for me(Stihl my favorite) and Echo a 3rd. Most brands will have a homeowner, pro sumer, and professional line. You get what you pay for and I consider a chainsaw a long term purchase. If you can't afford a brand new pro level saw I'd look for some well cared for used ones. An amazing new saw is a Stihl MS261, an MS260 would be an older used version that you would love. Put a 18-20" bar on it and you are in business!

Reactions: Road

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I have 3 stihl saws. They are good saws. The longer bars are handy but you don't need anything big for trail use. A lighter weight saw will take up less space (if that's an issue) and you can run them all day without getting worn out.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have 3 stihl saws. They are good saws. The longer bars are handy but you don't need anything big for trail use. A lighter weight saw will take up less space (if that's an issue) and you can run them all day without getting worn out.[/QUOTE
In my opinion space is always an issue as is weight.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Once you read the boot camp thread and want to pick up a saw consider local parts availability. Husqvarna and Stihl are first picks for me(Stihl my favorite) and Echo a 3rd. Most brands will have a homeowner, pro sumer, and professional line. You get what you pay for and I consider a chainsaw a long term purchase. If you can't afford a brand new pro level saw I'd look for some well cared for used ones. An amazing new saw is a Stihl MS261, an MS260 would be an older used version that you would love. Put a 18-20" bar on it and you are in business!
Solid advice!

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
I use a chainsaw very infrequently and I have been considering getting a battery operated chainsaw. The Dewalt DCCS670X1 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless Chainsaw seems pretty good, and i could charge the battery in the truck. thoughts?

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I use a chainsaw very infrequently and I have been considering getting a battery operated chainsaw. The Dewalt DCCS670X1 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless Chainsaw seems pretty good, and i could charge the battery in the truck. thoughts?
Ive been looking at the 12” version of these too. I wouldn’t consider them for heavy use but I already carry batteries for my impact driver. You wouldn’t have to carry an extra fuel can and if you wanted to use one in a camp ground, they’re quiet. I have no personal experience with them though.