OB Approved Chain Saws

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

Anak

Rank V

Advocate III

Sandy Eggo
Awesome.

I expected that was all custom work. I hate to think what the price tag comes to.

I am impressed with starting up at -36* with no issues. My 12V Cummins doesn't appreciate it when I try to start it in the teens (positive). I suspect it would not start at all at -36* without having been plugged in all night.

I have heard good things about the Porsche diesels. I would love to get one for The Bride.

Reactions: Otis Porsche

AnywhereInTX

Rank V

Advocate III

Monterey, CA, USA
Member #

Just picked up a nice Sun Joe 16" Lithium Battery Chainsaw. I don't have the land to require a large gas powered and my truck is diesel. No need to carry a third fuel (propane #2) on board when I get out in the boondocks. I'll post a review when I get my hands on it, nice unit that was on sale that I picked up for $200. 4AH battery and all.

Otis Porsche

Rank 0

Contributor I

Awesome. I expected that was all custom work. I hate to think what the price tag comes to.
I am impressed with starting up at -36* with no issues. My 12V Cummins doesn't appreciate it when I try to start it in the teens (positive). I suspect it would not start at all at -36* without having been plugged in all night. I have heard good things about the Porsche diesels. I would love to get one for The Bride.
The Dodge Cummins parked next to us snapped their serpentine belt. Plug-ins were not available this -36F night and we none of us wanted to keep our engines running.

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank 0

Contributor I

My dad cut trees when I was growing up. I cut some trees for my wife's grandmother one summer so picked up a husky 36 for cleanup and a 268 for bigger work. I ended up selling the 268 after that was done and gave the little saw away to some friends. I'd like to find one but Colorado doesn't seem full have a big market.

Desert Runner

Rank V

Advocate II

Southern Nevada
Member #

I have a Stihl Ranch Boss with a 20" bar. A great in between size. 1 chainsaw i miss is the vintage baby McCullough, with the little 10-12 inch bar? That little saw was great at cleanup, and quick trail cleaning. It finally wore out, and would have cost more to rebuild, than a new one cost when new. I believe Stihl makes one in that size, as i have seen tree service personal trimming palm trees and smaller branches with a compact saw.

Desert Runner

Rank V

Advocate II

Southern Nevada
Member #

Not having enough saw is more dangerous than too much most of the time.
Agreed, but I do miss the baby McCullough chainsaw I had a long time ago. This pictured saw size is what i would get as a secondary for small trimming or smaller limbs for the firewood stack. 93821
PS. I loved those McCullough beaver ads when i was young. They sold a lot of saws in their time.:grinning:

jacobconroy75

Rank 0

Contributor I

Montana
Expanding on why we selected Stihl MSA 200 C-BQ with 14" bar and Lithium-Ion battery.
Our rig is a diesel - did not want to carry petrol just for the saw.
Living in the Northwest with a large timber industry asked around for favorite brands. While many mentioned Stihl topped the others from those in the industry. This battery model was also mentioned as a 'clean-up' saw used. If professionals who do this daily picked it - good enough for us as a trail saw. Note we are getting an inverter to recharge it and run other things. If a trail needs more clean-up than we can do we will just find another way.
.For build info - Meet Otis - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
View attachment 89380

I have the same Stihl saw and carry two of the largest capacity batteries. The saw is no joke....it will make quick work of 9 inch lodgepole for firewood. I find that two fully charged batteries and a sharp chain will fall, limb, and buck three 9 inch trees. Plenty enough for what I am doing.

Yes it's true, if my batteries die I'm out of business. But I REALLY didn't want to haul gas in my rig. The biggest drawback (that I didn't expect) was that even an electric saw will leak bar oil all over the place. I wish they would find a way to fix that.