Enthusiast II

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Besch
Member #

Good Morning and Happy Saturday All!

Question for the group, I have a new truck on order and of course get the sales pitch to add PPF (Paint Protection Film), Ceramic Coating, Rust Protection, Etc. In my mind more protection is better, this is going to be my daily driver as well as my overland rig and I want it to last as long as possible. However, I'm not sure it's worth the money. Curious if anyone out there has any advice or experience.

Wisewanderer

Rank I

Contributor I

Maine, USA
First Name
Carlton
Last Name
Tripp
Member #

Good Morning and Happy Saturday All!

Question for the group, I have a new truck on order and of course get the sales pitch to add PPF (Paint Protection Film), Ceramic Coating, Rust Protection, Etc. In my mind more protection is better, this is going to be my daily driver as well as my overland rig and I want it to last as long as possible. However, I'm not sure it's worth the money. Curious if anyone out there has any advice or experience.
I do not know how long factory coatings last. I swear by fluid film especially where road salt is applied. The NAS exterior sprayed on applications are best!

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Today the dealers will sell you insurance for everything, selling wheel insurance is a perfect example.
The paint protection isn’t a bad option however I would compare prices and I would start a check list that you can reference to make an informed decision.
1. What is the Factory Rust Warranty (I believe my Ram is over 150k without the said Paint Protection)
2. Ceramic Coating - what brand is the dealership using?
3. Does this include the clear bra (something I wish I had from the start)
4. Call around to local businesses that offer the paint protection, shop their price to the dealership add on
5. What is the undercarriage protection, (I
Have to apply Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator this spring on my Ram because of all the spotted rust over 2 years)

If you compare dealership add ons to the factory rust warranty and local businesses prices for these same add ons you might find some real savings.

Also note, you mentioned overlanding, check the dealership warranty for exclusions/restrictions.

Reactions: RamBound

RamBound

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Besch
Member #

Today the dealers will sell you insurance for everything, selling wheel insurance is a perfect example.
The paint protection isn’t a bad option however I would compare prices and I would start a check list that you can reference to make an informed decision.
1. What is the Factory Rust Warranty (I believe my Ram is over 150k without the said Paint Protection)
2. Ceramic Coating - what brand is the dealership using?
3. Does this include the clear bra (something I wish I had from the start)
4. Call around to local businesses that offer the paint protection, shop their price to the dealership add on
5. What is the undercarriage protection, (I
Have to apply Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator this spring on my Ram because of all the spotted rust over 2 years)

If you compare dealership add ons to the factory rust warranty and local businesses prices for these same add ons you might find some real savings.

Also note, you mentioned overlanding, check the dealership warranty for exclusions/restrictions.
Great info and ideas, Thanks!