Central/Northern California Trip Ideas - Winter

• HTML tutorial

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I think Mendo is getting some snow right now.

I didn't get much feedback on that Pinnacle Rock spot. Was that appealing at all? Seemed like a great place for a night or two. Thoughts?

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

I think Mendo is getting some snow right now.

I didn't get much feedback on that Pinnacle Rock spot. Was that appealing at all? Seemed like a great place for a night or two. Thoughts?
I was just up there yesterday west of Elk Creek. They just got quite a bit of fresh snow (looked about a foot deep) on top of a few inches of packed snow. 20180302_114723.jpg

If we can make it up to Pinnacle Rock I think that'd be a good destination this time around.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: MBroenkow

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I was just up there yesterday east of Elk Creek. They just got quite a bit of fresh snow (looked about a foot deep) on top of a few inches of packed snow. View attachment 49717

If we can make it up to Pinnacle Rock I think that'd be a good destination this time around.

I think a lot of that snow will be gone in three weeks. Should be good to go. Good intel man, thanks for going up there.

Reactions: MBroenkow

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

From the drive up this weekend, everything south of Elk Creek didn't appear to have much snow if any at all. So I agree with MEU(SOC) about the snow, I don't think we will run into any issues (famous last words).

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I'm thinking I'll want to leave from Sunnyvale on Fri 3/23 no later than 11am. Anybody else able to leave at that time? If so, we can plan a meetup spot for the convoy.

BigLimey707

Rank 0

Contributor I

IMG_20180309_072100.jpg This was near three crossing and also Hull mtn this last weekend. There's snow up there but like said before probably gone in three weeks. You never know though, they're getting freezing/ice rain this weekend. I'll keep an eye on the post incase I can make it.

Last edited:

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I won't be able to swing it with work. I can meet up with you all afterwards tho.

If I go, I'll be rolling in at 'o dark thirty. I won't be off work until 3pm and can't head up until 6pm. Then I have a 2 hour drive from my place to the forest. So I'd be rolling in at 9 or 10pm. How many nights is this? Or are we making it a one nighter with a departure on Saturday morning?

Last edited:

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

If I go, I'll be rolling in at 'o dark thirty. I won't be off work until 3pm and can't head up until 6pm. Then I have a 2 hour drive from my place to the forest. So I'd be rolling in at 9 or 10pm. How many nights is this? Or are we making it a one nighter with a departure on Saturday morning?
I'll be in a similar boat. I'm driving up from the North Bay, from near the Maritime Academy (It's about a 2hr drive from here). I can roll out around 6PM and we can convoy up there together if that works. I think the plan is Friday-Sunday (I personally cant go beyond Sunday).

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I'm out. I forgot I made brunch reservations with my family to celebrate Easter a week early so I can go camping at the end of the month. But if you magically change the dates for this weekend, let me know.

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

I found myself in Mendocino again this weekend. I'd suggest not following the instructions to Pinncle Rock from that website. It's a much more fun drive to go up Walker Ridge Rd to Bartlett Springs Rd and then work your way over to Deer Valley Road.

Reactions: Crispy

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I found myself in Mendocino again this weekend. I'd suggest not following the instructions to Pinncle Rock from that website. It's a much more fun drive to go up Walker Ridge Rd to Bartlett Springs Rd and then work your way over to Deer Valley Road.

That's a nice scenic route. Lot's of places to stop along the way if you like to shoot too.

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
I'd been planning an overnight trip to this exact area for a couple weeks then thought to look on this forum to see if there was any trip reports and found this thread. The plan was to go tomorrow, 3/17, but with all this rain I wonder if it's not going to work.

Does anyone know how bad these roads get in the rain? I've been up here a few times but it's always been dry.

If I end up going I'll be sure to give you all some updates.