Contributor I

Apex, Wake County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morgan
Member #

Hello All,

I am new here and was hoping I could get some trip planning help. I recently purchased a new 2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Outside of a few minor changes it is still stock right now. As I am new to all of this I am looking to plan a simple and easy first trip. I'm hoping to find someone I can take my fiance and the dogs out pretty secluded for a night or two of camping. I've been an avid camper for many years now - earlier this year I did 10 days and 175 miles on the AT. This is pretty new to me with a vehicle though.

Does anyone know of a good place in central NC where we might be able to find a secluded getaway spot for weekend camping? Would love any advice you all can throw my way for a first timer.

Dean2

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Clarkson
Member #

Service Branch
USAR/NCNG
Uwharrie is probably your best bet. I left NC in 2005, but I imagine you can still do dispersed camping there. That was where we usually camped, since it's about the only piece of public land in the area. I'd check on hunters and ATVs. It could be crawling with either. There are also off-road trails that look like they can be fairly gnarly, so make sure you don't wind up somewhere you don't want to be!

A more left-field suggestion is Cedar Rock Park in Alamance County. It has some hike-in spots. I used to take the kids there all the time when they were little. I think I only saw anyone camping once. It's just not well known and most people wouldn't consider a small county park for camping. It's a really cool little park, though.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

You can still do dispersed Camping out at Uwharrie we have done it a few times over the last few months. Plenty of places both out on the miles of OHV trails as well as all the gravel roads around Badin Lake. Most of the trails out there have plenty of places to go around any difficult parts, but I would still stay away from Daniel, Dickey Bell, and Dutch John. Just keep in mind its mainly an off road park and camp ground that you can happen to find some dedicated dispersed camping.

You will find most of the good places are going to be much further west in the state though. There is a bunch around Boone, Asheville, and the TN boarder. Next weekend me and a buddy are going out on our first trip that way starting in Mooresville and ending in Blowing Rock and then back out for a night on either Old 105 or Maple Grove Church Road.

Reactions: Old Tanker