Central AB-East: Off Grid Camping/Kayaking

• HTML tutorial

TreadHead Pops

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

Thinking of heading south to the Blindman Brewery in Lacombe and finding a cool spot on the way back to Edmonton. Any ideas for calm water and camping spots off the beaten path????

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Go east on highway 12 to range road 244
North on rge rd 244 to township road 410
East on twp rd 410 for a mile to the rd 243
North on rge rd 243 til you hit Magee Lake.

Don’t tell anyone I told you. It’s a secret spot. [emoji6]

When you leave take the shortcut between the lakes on rge rd 244... If you dare. [emoji16]

TreadHead Pops

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

Go east on highway 12 to range road 244
North on rge rd 244 to township road 410
East on twp rd 410 for a mile to the rd 243
North on rge rd 243 til you hit Magee Lake.

Don’t tell anyone I told you. It’s a secret spot. [emoji6]

When you leave take the shortcut between the lakes on rge rd 244... If you dare. [emoji16]
Thanks Darcy!!!! Look like the perfect spot ;-) Have you done an overnight, or do you know if it's day use only???

Hope

Last edited:
Reactions: dblack

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

It's more of a dispersed camping/boat launch/parking while fishing area. I know people that have set up a holiday trailer there and stay for a week at a time, so it's safe to camp there.

Reactions: TreadHead Pops

TreadHead Garage

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Member #

It's more of a dispersed camping/boat launch/parking while fishing area. I know people that have set up a holiday trailer there and stay for a week at a time, so it's safe to camp there.
Cant thank you enough, great spot! Lake was dead calm perfect for the kayak. Although the algae is starting to get bad.

There was another 5th wheel down there, awesome local guy.

Also took your dare on the shortcut, I can see how it could be tricky. Was bone dry and in good shape20180727_210222.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960W using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: TreadHead Pops

TreadHead Pops

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

Found another cool, off the beaten path, site for camping and kayaking....check out Open Creek Dam west of Rimbey. We hit Siding 14 in Ponoka on our way. Dam reservoir is in a bit of bowl, so very little wind....it was like paddling on ice. Bonus to this site is zero cell coverage!