LBG1327

Rank I

Contributor III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Adventurer
Hey I’ve been thinking about building my own custom center console but I have a center mount shifter so I am unsure what material to make it out of unless I do it out of MDF and do a 1/2 steel plate for the shifter but I’m worried that will get hot with the sun any ideas please help

LBG1327

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Adventurer
Hey I’ve been thinking about building my own custom center console but I have a center mount shifter so I am unsure what material to make it out of unless I do it out of MDF and do a 1/2 steel plate for the shifter but I’m worried that will get hot with the sun any ideas please help
I also forgot to mention I’m combining my front and rear consoles

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
First, pictures and what vehicle is it?
1/2 plate is some pretty heavy material. Do you really need that?. Heat wise I assume you mean the console and not the 1/2 plate. Is the console just a storage box? Do you use it for an arm rest? do kids climb on it going from front to back? Do you need the top to be padded? How secure does it need to be?
These are questions you need to ask your self before you draw up a design.

I've built consoles out of wood, out of 12 gauge steel and seen quite a few steel aftermarket ones. Can you work metal or wood?

Look at tuffy consoles. There's several manufactures out there. Look to them for design ideas.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Check out @Michael 's YT video on the DIY center console, you might find some ideas there:

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

In my 80 Series, I yanked out the center console and built one myself out of Baltic Birch plywood ..... a subwoofer with crossover and amplifier inside the box - and added functional cup holders..

It's not perfect nor is it beautiful, but it really helps the sound, and it's a decent armrest...

LBG1327

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Adventurer
In my 80 Series, I yanked out the center console and built one myself out of Baltic Birch plywood ..... a subwoofer with crossover and amplifier inside the box - and added functional cup holders..

It's not perfect nor is it beautiful, but it really helps the sound, and it's a decent armrest...
I would love to see some pics for ideas

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I don't have any photos from building it - but I traced out the base of the original console and mimicked it.

Trial and error for getting the cup holders the way they should be, - still need to paint that area... I had the cupholders made by a friend with a 3D printer - but got the incorrect material (PLA?) and they shapeshifted in the heat and one part got brittle and snapped after it cooled and I was trying to 'bend' it back into shape....

PXL_20230712_210418802.jpgPXL_20230712_210504785.jpg

PXL_20230712_210418802.jpg

Reactions: LBG1327