West Valley City, UT, USA
First Name
Vernon
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7AST
Just looking for some opinions on if people prefer a GPS enabled iPad or having something like an inReach from Delorme with a subscription. What could be the advantages or disadvantages of each?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I think you need a 3 part question. Do you prefer....
1. iPad with built in GPS
2. iPad tethered to a Bluetooth GPS
3. iPad tethered to a Garmin InReach which can be used for other things.

If you only asking whether one should have an iPad with or without a GPS then I think it is really up to you. An external GPS will provide a more accurate signal.

As for the InReach search for that topic. Plenty of discussions on the merits of having this device. A secondary benefit of the InReach is it can be used as a GPS for a non-GPS enabled iPad. One would not buy it solely for that reason. There are cheaper options. Again discussed in other threads. Dual GPS, Bad Elf GPS, etc.

Reactions: Crawlnder and Road

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
1. iPad with built in GPS
2. iPad tethered to a Bluetooth GPS
3. iPad tethered to a Garmin InReach which can be used for other things.

If you only asking whether one should have an iPad with or without a GPS then I think it is really up to you. An external GPS will provide a more accurate signal.

As for the InReach search for that topic. Plenty of discussions on the merits of having this device. A secondary benefit of the InReach is it can be used as a GPS for a non-GPS enabled iPad. One would not buy it solely for that reason. There are cheaper options. Again discussed in other threads. Dual GPS, Bad Elf GPS, etc.
I cannot use the gps on the inreach explorer+ with my iPad. I have a Dual that works, but cannot figure out how to make the inreach work.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I cannot use the gps on the inreach explorer+ with my iPad. I have a Dual that works, but cannot figure out how to make the inreach work.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Do you have your inReach paired with your iPhone? If so the inReach can only be paired with one device. That’s the only issue I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Ipad with GPS - it's never let me down - always picks up a decent position signal.
InReach - on my shopping list as a safety precaution.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I disagree with this, the gps chipset is great in the iPad, multiple tests have shown it’s actually more accurate than stand alone units outside of high end Trimble units.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I disagree with this, the gps chipset is great in the iPad, multiple tests have shown it’s actually more accurate than stand alone units outside of high end Trimble units.
Ok, link to some test results. That’s always helpful.

People go back and forth on what is more accurate or not. I have not had a GPS enabled iPad for 7 years. Maybe I am the wrong guy to ask. Glad it works great for you. For me since I have the InReach there is no reason to spend another $150 for a GPS enabled iPad. Not going to argue the differences with anyone. Original poster seems to be a bit confused on what he needs so I listed the options.

Reactions: Cort

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I agree with Cort my iPad the is mobile ready is extremely accurate and sometimes more so than my handheld

Reactions: Cort and 1Louder

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Ok, link to some test results. That’s always helpful.

People go back and forth on what is more accurate or not. I have not had a GPS enabled iPad for 7 years. Maybe I am the wrong guy to ask. Glad it works great for you. For me since I have the InReach there is no reason to spend another $150 for a GPS enabled iPad. Not going to argue the differences with anyone. Original poster seems to be a bit confused on what he needs so I listed the options.
The iPad has a GPS-A receiver which can be more accuarate than regular GPS in areas where you have cellular signal and as accurate or better than regular GPS. Using an iPad for flight is common practice because they are great GPS units with an awesome screen.

For reference, here is a screenshot of my Garmin Oregon 750T which sat still on a table for 8 hours during a land nav course. Notice the 8m scale and the 4Km travel distance! This is not an anomaly. There are a lot of reasons for GPS inaccuracies outside of the hardware.

Your Inreach is an awesome product for sure, I think they are great and have considered them in the past but really don’t need another GPS, the messaging function could really come in handy.

50086C48-5373-4F12-9D22-E6425CE8E29A.jpeg

Here are a couple studies:
http://www.cloudpointgeo.com/blog/blog/2013/4/26/so-whats-my-accuracy-mobile-device-gps-with-ipad-iphone-android
https://www.utupub.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/124690/gps-evaluation-report.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

Last edited:
Reactions: MBroenkow

Crawlnder

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Valley City, UT, USA
First Name
Vernon
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7AST
So it seems there are pros and cons to different setups. I believe the InReach will stay a part of my equipment. I also think a cellular enabled iPad will keep from having to buy a Dual or something similar. Also will still be able to pair the iPad to the inReach. Thank you kk for you input i really appreciate it.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Nothing wrong with having a back up. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

The inreach has the cool messaging feature which the IPad won’t be able to do.

Reactions: MBroenkow

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Redundancy is key! FYI I talked with the Spot rep at the Portland OR Sportsman's show and he said Spot will be coming out with a new model that will have more features and be cheeper than InReach. This is just for information I don't have any further details.

Reactions: MBroenkow and Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Redundancy is key! FYI I talked with the Spot rep at the Portland OR Sportsman's show and he said Spot will be coming out with a new model that will have more features and be cheeper than InReach. This is just for information I don't have any further details.
That’s really good to know! I will be on a two week long trip way out of cellular range this fall and want something to message if needed but for how much I would use the service the monthly fee is a bit high. Thanks for sharing!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
That’s really good to know! I will be on a two week long trip way out of cellular range this fall and want something to message if needed but for how much I would use the service the monthly fee is a bit high. Thanks for sharing!
The rep told us that it would be cheeper than InReach. I have not heard anything further about it though.

Reactions: Cort

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
The rep told us that it would be cheeper than InReach. I have not heard anything further about it though.
I bit the bullet and bought the InReach. Actually use if for work also. I can link it to my iPhone, iPad for messaging, just can’t use it for gps on WiFi iPad.

Lurch II

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

573 Junction Road, Berlin, VT 05602
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Bryan
Member #

Service Branch
Army retired
We have had an InReach since the first one came out, thinking it was invaluable when in remote regions on the motorcycle. It has proven to be rugged and reliable in the most difficult of conditions. I consider the InReach an essential piece of gear for anyone traveling in remote locations. We have never had to use it in an emergency but we have been many places without cell and the family has been reassured to be able to know everything was OK and where we were located. It was especially useful in Alaska, BC and the Yukon, where we were more often without cellular than with it. We don't generally use it as a GPS ( we have several GPS units for that purpose) and reserve it for the world-wide communications capability. However I do admit the downloadable maps from Delorme (now Garmin) are generally better than the maps that we have on our GPS units.

Reactions: Road and nickburt

TexTransplant

Rank 0

Contributor I

I dont have an Ipad, but I did use my phone as a wifi hotspot, with my android tablet connected to it and my Inreach+ via bluetooth. I was using Gaia maps as a reference, but did the tracking and navigation with the Garmin app, albeit I had maps for both apps saved on the tablet ahead of time. The Garmin was great, and had most of my trails loaded from TrailDamage, made Moab a lot easier and more fun. Right now, I have no need to try a separate GPS receiver to use Gaia instead of the Garmin app, but I may change my mind later.

Want to add this. The Inreach is not a replacement for a good PLB. Period. Its a nice thing to have just in case, but I would recommend anyone to use an ACR or equivalent for serious rescue gear, and does not require an active subscription to use it (as does the Inreach).