Launch Member

Advocate III

LA,CA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
M
Member #

Hi OB Fam! I'm considering purchasing a signal booster to install on my Commander so that i can potentially work remotely when near to off grid with little to no cell signal.
Does anyone have experience/suggestions regarding particular products and/or feasibility of working from remote locations?

I was looking into this one in particular:

weBoost Drive 4G-X OTR (470210) Truck Cell Phone Signal Booster

Thanks!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I picked up this version of the WeBoost, which I believe is a newer version, smaller antenna, etc. Works well for me. I normally pick up extra bars when others have no or 1 bar.

REWDBOY

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

LA,CA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
M
Member #

I picked up this version of the WeBoost, which I believe is a newer version, smaller antenna, etc. Works well for me. I normally pick up extra bars when others have no or 1 bar.

Awesome! Just read the thread you had initially started last year. Great info and test specs. Thanks for that write up. So the one you have is a newer version than the one i posted? I'll be sure to verify, just thought I'd ask. Which part of the country are you in? Take care @RoarinRow !

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Awesome! Just read the thread you had initially started last year. Great info and test specs. Thanks for that write up. So the one you have is a newer version than the one i posted? I'll be sure to verify, just thought I'd ask. Which part of the country are you in? Take care @RoarinRow !
Most welcome! Yeah when I bought I believe it had just come out. Otherwise, I was going to get the model you originally posted. But, yeah please verify. I'm up here in Sacramento, CA.

Reactions: REWDBOY

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I bought a package deal through Amazon and got the WeBoost setup below so hopefully I'll be able to get cell service at my hunting lease in MS. Right now I get maybe 1 bar and sometimes can send a text or make a phone call but lots of times both fail. I'm heading up there this weekend and will give report back how well this setup worked. I wanted this setup that included the desktop antenna so I can mount it to my dash and then get the signal outside my truck for times when I'm at a remote camp site and the signal is weak.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I've been looking at these a little myself, but not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet, as I'm still recovering from my latest purchases...

One concern is I've seen/heard is that if you have no signal, they won't give you a signal. It sounds like you have to have at least one bar in order for the device to boost that signal. It kinda makes sense, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I've been looking at these a little myself, but not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet, as I'm still recovering from my latest purchases...

One concern is I've seen/heard is that if you have no signal, they won't give you a signal. It sounds like you have to have at least one bar in order for the device to boost that signal. It kinda makes sense, but I don't know if it's true or not.
This is why I spent a little more and got the better antenna I can mount on my RTT Rack and get above my RTT. That antenna has to be able to pull in a signal even when your phone which has a tiny antenna doesn't get a signal or the signal is going in and out. Where I hunt I can get a signal depending on where on the property I am but it is very weak, we'll see how well this works this weekend. Yeah, I had to sell some stocks to justify the purchase of this package!

Reactions: HIALT2D

Tone615

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Joshua Tree, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Viking 1204,

Looking for your thoughts on your set-up from this weekend. We're about to purchase a cell booster system as well. Wilson/WeBoost seems the way to go , but they have some subtle options making the decision challenging. Yours seems a very good combo.

Keep us posted!
-Tone615.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

This is why I spent a little more and got the better antenna I can mount on my RTT Rack and get above my RTT. That antenna has to be able to pull in a signal even when your phone which has a tiny antenna doesn't get a signal or the signal is going in and out. Where I hunt I can get a signal depending on where on the property I am but it is very weak, we'll see how well this works this weekend. Yeah, I had to sell some stocks to justify the purchase of this package!
So Viking... we await your report. Been looking into this myself, lots of my tracks run on the edge of signal (1 bar).

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
So Viking... we await your report. Been looking into this myself, lots of my tracks run on the edge of signal (1 bar).
For the first time every at my hunting lease I was able to text, make phone calls, send pictures and check online for things like weather and my fantasy football! Before turning the booster on I'd get no LTE 4G, maybe 3G but most times 1X. Just trying to text my family goodnight most times would fail. After turning the WeBoost on I watched as it quickly went to 2-3 bars LTE 4G! I still have some work to do to get it setup perfectly as my interior desktop antenna calls for it to be a minimum of 20' from the main antenna which is a lot. Funny thing is the indoor desktop antenna only has a 5' cord so getting the exterior antenna and desktop antenna 20' apart was almost impossible. I'm going to look into getting an indoor antenna extension this way I can have the outdoor antenna connected to my truck and the desktop antenna could reach to my campsite or the back deck at the hunting lease and I could have service there. Once I get the outdoor antenna permanently mounted to my truck I'll experiment with the indoor antenna that came with the main WeBoost package. All in all though it does Boost your signal if you have a weak one and let you do most normal things with a smart phone!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
For the first time every at my hunting lease I was able to text, make phone calls, send pictures and check online for things like weather and my fantasy football! Before turning the booster on I'd get no LTE 4G, maybe 3G but most times 1X. Just trying to text my family goodnight most times would fail. After turning the WeBoost on I watched as it quickly went to 2-3 bars LTE 4G! I still have some work to do to get it setup perfectly as my interior desktop antenna calls for it to be a minimum of 20' from the main antenna which is a lot. Funny thing is the indoor desktop antenna only has a 5' cord so getting the exterior antenna and desktop antenna 20' apart was almost impossible. I'm going to look into getting an indoor antenna extension this way I can have the outdoor antenna connected to my truck and the desktop antenna could reach to my campsite or the back deck at the hunting lease and I could have service there. Once I get the outdoor antenna permanently mounted to my truck I'll experiment with the indoor antenna that came with the main WeBoost package. All in all though it does Boost your signal if you have a weak one and let you do most normal things with a smart phone!
I'm trying to visualize how you use both the desktop and roof mount antenna. Do you connect/disconnect depending on what antenna you are going to use?

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I'm trying to visualize how you use both the desktop and roof mount antenna. Do you connect/disconnect depending on what antenna you are going to use?
The WeBoost has a connection for the External Antenna on one side and then the "Internal" antenna on the other side of it. The Desktop antenna is intended for use in a camping trailer while I used it to connect from the back deck of my hunting lodge with my truck parked near by. The external antenna receives the signal and passes it into the WeBoost booster & it boosts the signal to your cell phone thru the internal antenna.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The WeBoost has a connection for the External Antenna on one side and then the "Internal" antenna on the other side of it. The Desktop antenna is intended for use in a camping trailer while I used it to connect from the back deck of my hunting lodge with my truck parked near by. The external antenna receives the signal and passes it into the WeBoost booster & it boosts the signal to your cell phone thru the internal antenna.
Ah I didn't know/don't use the internal antenna part of it. I just installed it and forget about it.