CDN M101 in Vegas

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

In 2010 I found a '92 CDN M101 on Craigslist locally for $1k after looking for almost 2 years. The original owner had planned to build an expedition trailer and fabricated a top mounted frame attached with a piano hinge and mounted a Jeep spare tire carrier on the rear. He also swapped out the hubs for 5x4.5 TJ hub pattern. He then decided to go in a different direction and opted to sell it. At the time, $1k was more than I wanted to spend, but I bit the bullet and snatched it up...and I am so glad I did. The paint was in decent shape, but decided to rattle can it in black. That paint job has held up well for 6 years and have stuck with it.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

One of my first mods was installing a Harbor Freight tongue box. The box would be used primarily for a deep cycle battery and inverter to be recharged with solar panels, but still have some storage room for wheel chocks, trash bags and solar charger. I also mounted my hi-lift Jack and added a Tepui Kukenam tent.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

After a few years I decided to upgrade the RTT to the new ruggedized Tepui Kukenam XL. While I was pleased with my original Kukenam, I liked the ruggedized features, especially the diamond plate floor, and extra space. The XL is also significantly heavier so I installed gas struts to assist opening the top. My 6' tall son fits perpendicular to the normal sleeping position.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Shortly after I got the trailer I bought a trailer jack and had a friend weld the mount on the tongue for me in a position that allowed me to stow and use the jack. Shortly after, I installed the tongue box and that made the jack mount unusable. Finally got around to getting another Jack mount and had my friend weld it in a position that allowed me to start using the jack. Now it will be so much easier leveling the trailer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I've often wondered what my trailer weighs. So, I took it in to work today and put it on the scale. "Empty", with RTT, spare tire, hi-lift jack, tongue box w/battery, it weighs in at 1200 lbs. and I figure another 300 lbs for gear when camping for a total of around 1500 lbs.

American Overlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waconia, MN
Member #

Would you be willing to share the brands of some of your gear? I see a camp kitchen and another kitchen storage unit...also some sort of propane item under the ladder on the last photo...heater?

Also what brand/model solar panels? These look more rugged than your standard panel.

Thanks!!

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Would you be willing to share the brands of some of your gear? I see a camp kitchen and another kitchen storage unit...also some sort of propane item under the ladder on the last photo...heater?

Also what brand/model solar panels? These look more rugged than your standard panel.

Thanks!!
The kitchen storage unit is a Camp Chef Sherpa Camp Table and Organizer. It has served me well for years as my "chuck box" holding the kitchen essentials. The camp kitchen is a GCI Outdoor Slim-Fold Cook Station. The Coleman dual burner stove is still the best way to go. The heater is a Coleman Pro-Cat Catalytic Heater used to take the chill out of the tent on the cold evenings and mornings. The solar panels are part of a Harbor Freight solar kit that came with three panels, charging control unit and a string of lights. They have worked well to keep the battery charged but longevity is always suspect with Harbor Freight.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I picked up two of these Plano storage trunks at Bass Pro for $35.00 apiece and they fit like a glove in the trailer. I only use one as that leaves enough room for my Yeti Tundra 75 cooler and the rest of my camping gear.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: WJ - Firefly

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I always have found the low camping chairs to be the most comfortable. Picked up one from REI and one from Sportmans Warehouse. Also picked up an REI bamboo top low table to go along with them.

image.jpeg

American Overlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waconia, MN
Member #

The kitchen storage unit is a Camp Chef Sherpa Camp Table and Organizer. It has served me well for years as my "chuck box" holding the kitchen essentials. The camp kitchen is a GCI Outdoor Slim-Fold Cook Station. The Coleman dual burner stove is still the best way to go. The heater is a Coleman Pro-Cat Catalytic Heater used to take the chill out of the tent on the cold evenings and mornings. The solar panels are part of a Harbor Freight solar kit that came with three panels, charging control unit and a string of lights. They have worked well to keep the battery charged but longevity is always suspect with Harbor Freight.

View attachment 3151
View attachment 3153
View attachment 3154
View attachment 3152
View attachment 3155
Thank you! I really appreciate the help. I'm looking forward to picking up some gear for summer trips.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

It's nice to have a convenient place to store items you want easy access to getting into or out of the tent (flip flop, toiletries, etc.) so I picked up a couple of "closet organizers" that were perfect for the job. A suspended an aluminum flag pole I had sitting in the garage under the tent with a couple of wire ties and hung the organizers where they were easy to get to.

image.jpeg image.jpeg