CB radio in tundra

• HTML tutorial

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Im not in a tundra but in my Colorad I have the radio mounted to the bottom of my glove box and wired in just under the radio console. For the antenna mine is magnetic so I ran it up the pillar and behind the weather stripping

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

20170412_211913.jpg 20170412_212013 1.jpg I just did an install in my 2009 Tundra last week.

There is a fender mount for the antenna that works great and I bought a radio mount to get the room that I needed to put the radio on the finishing panel under the stereo:

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@ShoKilla I have the same radio, but I have the center console in my tundra that won't allow me to put it where you did. Any other ideas as to where I could mount it? Would like to mount it in the center console, but the radio is too big front to back and the the console isn't deep enough to not pinch the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

Yea... I went with this radio because of the weather radio option. I've seen some folks put the CB inside the console but I'm not a fan of running electronics inside plastic compartments like that so wouldn't have recommended that (solely a personal preference). The only other place I was looking at was on top of the dash. The only problem with the dash is a lack of flat space so for it fit right and look right you'd have to some amount creative work to get it there.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
What does the back side of your console look like? Any option to mount it there?

I like the fender/hood mount but if you put it on the roof you'll get better radiation / reception / transmission there.

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

What does the back side of your console look like? Any option to mount it there?

I like the fender/hood mount but if you put it on the roof you'll get better radiation / reception / transmission there.
I liked the fender mount because it was simple and non-permanent. I don't think this will be the final resting place for the firestik. The problem with putting it on the roof for me is I work in the city and park in a garage. There's only about a foot or less clearance overhead so it would probably get destroyed.

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

The only place to put it on the back side would be under the cup holders, and with kids in the back seat (especially my clumsy 4 year old) that wouldn't turn out good. Plus I wouldn't be able to change channels while driving. Thanks for making me think about that one though. It could've been a good option if the chance for liquids spilling wasn't there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: VCeXpedition