Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arvada, Colorado, United States
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

This is more communication than navigation but does anybody in the Denver area know any CB shops? I had an install done and the radio isn't working properly.

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arvada, Colorado, United States
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

At first I was getting weak reception. I programmed it the way the instructions recommended but it didn't seem to help. I have a 6ft antenna firestick mounted to the tire carrier. The antenna or location could be the problem, as I never adjusted the length. I didn't want to start chopping something without knowing what I'm doing. I had my mechanic install hoping they knew how to adjust it but was told they didn't know anything about that AFTER THE INSTALL. Now the radio doesn't seem to be recieving anything, no static or anything.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The location is a huge problem... try getting 1/4-1/2” wide grounding braid and run it from the tire mount to your body, then body to frame. This is called “bonding”. This allows your whole body to be part of the ground plane.
Adjusting antennas is actually very easy. You need an SWR meter and the Coax running from your radio to antenna. Unhook the radio end of the Coax and put the SWR meter inline. Key the mic for a brief moment and check the SWR on Chanel 1 and Chanel 40. Average the two. if it’s above 1.5 trim the antenna as specified in the antenna instructions, if it’s below 1.0 you need to add wire to bring the SWR up to 1.0-1.5 SWR.

You shouldn’t have damaged the radio unless you transmitted for longer than a couple of seconds.

As for programming the radio, what radio do you have, a CB radio should have 0 programming to it, due to the nature of the CB FCC requirements.

Reactions: Wildmanreed

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
That Firestik shouldn't require any trimming.. It will have a brass screw in the top under the cap. That's how you tune it.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

That Firestik shouldn't require any trimming.. It will have a brass screw in the top under the cap. That's how you tune it.
That may depend on what model of Firestik they have, the Firestik II and Firefly have the tunable tip. Appears the Firestik and Roadpro antennas do not.

Reactions: Downs

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
An untuned antenna will still receive. Make sure you didn't accidentally turn on the PA. If the radio has an RF gain control, that desensitizes the receiver. On mine its a knob i accidentally turn instead of the volume. Check the squelch also, that will cancel out noise below a certain level.
If all those settings are correct, you will get static at least. Even with the coax disconnected from the back of the radio.
If its not something simple, take it to a radio shop.

Wildmanreed

Rank IV

Advocate III

Dallas, Georgia, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

The first thing I will say best reception is received when at least 2/3 of the antenna is above the cab. Second and I am sure you wave done this as it sounds dumb try UN screwing both ends of the coax and reconnecting and check full length of coax for abrasions as this can cause signal cancel.
To tune the firestick is just fine detail should not cause loss of signal.
Third thing is check your setting depending on what unit you run they can have static cancel options.
Final thought will be making sure you have a good grounded connection to your rig.