First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
Hey folks,

Preferably Edmonton folks. I'm expecting a new Cobra radio and antenna next week. However finding a reasonably priced SWR meter seems to be a thing of the 90s. (Last one I bought was about $30 around the mid 90s lol).

I'd be willing to compensate for your assistance if needed. Or if someone has an SWR meter collecting dust in the basement/garage, I'd give it a loving home ;)

Probably won't be installing it until it warms up outside to above zero (I hate running wires when I can't feel my fingers). Just shaking the tree to see what drops out...

Cheers.

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
Well, managed to get an SWR meter (not much different than the one Ihad 30 some years ago actually). As luck would have it, I saw brand new meters for around the same cost of the used one at the Flying J in Sherwood Park. Crap...

Anyhow... Best I could manage from the above 3 at both ends on the channel spectrum was 1.6 on Ch 1 and 2.5 on 40. Ch 20 was close to 1.6. At least I won't cook my radio. I have a couple more things to try like relocating the antenna (which is on the roof a few inches ahead of the roof basket). I will either move it further ahead or in behind the front "fairing" of the basket. (It's a Cobra HG-A1500 mag mount).

I did notice the meter swinging off the mark if I moved the meter itself. A new meter may or may not make any difference in readings but who knows.

As long as we can keep in radio contact for a couple miles, we'll be happy... But knowing I am in a safe zone under the SWR of 3, the fine tuning can hold off until it's warmer out.

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
Still looking for my two meters.... put them someplace "safe" ... sigh, grumble..sigh.

Glad you got a hold of one.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using OB Talk mobile app
LOL all good :) I have the same problem when I "put things away"... of course I find them when I'm looking for something else I can't find hahaha

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
They can be had on Amazon from around $20. That is where I got mine.

SWR METER for CB Radio Antennas with 3' Jumper cable - Workman SWR2T & CX-3-PL-PL
by Workman
Link: http://a.co/ekmthHP

Hulk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary, AB
First Name
Al
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

I also am in need of a meter or someone kind enough to let me use theirs in the Calgary area (Cochrane).

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I have one and will be tuning mine soon. I got it from my buddy, it’s old so hope still works lol. Will let you know

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Thx. I ended up buying a used one, but it didn't work that well for me. I wouldn't mind checking with another.
Also don't mind letting anyone else use/borrow mine in the area. Might have just been my setup rather than meter...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hulk