Cast Iron or No? (weight right now is not an issue for me)

• HTML tutorial

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
Ronnie Sunshines ( there are other brands ) did a cast iron kit not so long ago.
1 gallon dutch oven, 10 inch skillet, a lid lifter, a tripod and chain and a few other odds and sods all in a nice wooden carry case.
bargain for 60 UK pounds.
IMG_4864[1].JPG

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

Cast Iron is 100% the way to go. Will typically bring a dutch oven and our 12". I have a flat skillet too but have been using it less and less.

54512730_130008411404200_7434754286605454389_n.jpg

PatricL

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Copper Springs Drive, Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Patric
Last Name
Lassiter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7TJA
You don't have to spend money on a Griswold. For camping I would go with Lodge. Here is what I do. Take my grinder with an 80 grit flapper disc and smooth out the bottom and sides. Then use an orbital sander and step all the way down to 320 then steel wool. Clean and season in the oven. I did it at about 450 and re-oiled every 30 minutes for about 4 hours (the pan should smoke). When you oil it wipe it down with a dry cloth - you only want a very thin film. It will still stick some as the seasoning needs to build up over time. Until it really turns black I would only cook fatty stuff or frying stuff. No boiling vegetables in it. The oil is polymerized - that is it has nearly turned to a plastic. Contrary to popular opinion it is impervious to soap and water. If you want to know how tough this coating is, google the steps to remove it from the pan - it takes lye or extremely high heat. Attached are some pictures. (The crappy expensive ceramic coated pan is my wife's - it sticks)

IMG_2610.jpg

58969290633__02A207F3-448D-47E2-A90B-4A03CC72A526.jpg

animated.gif

GeoSing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Canton, OH, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
Singarella
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Would really like to bring some cast iron and try my hand at cooking the old fashioned way with briquettes on it/under it.....
Anyone ever try this before? If so- can you tell me how you do it....Pros and Cons....etc...

I already understand that hauling briquettes and the weight would be an issue/cumbersome.....but some of us aren't quite into rockcrawling yet and into more of the camping aspect sometimes....

Would love thoughts/ideas from all! :)
If the need is for cast iron "pans", I would say take a hard look at carbon steel. All of the properties of cooking with cast at about a 1/3 the weight. I have made the switch and couldn't be happier. Lodge makes one but there are others as well. Matfer Bourgeat & de Buyer make really good ones. I would go with the 11+ incher if it is for more than just yourself. You can use them anywhere. Once seasoned they are as good as non-stick. Good luck!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

If the need is for cast iron "pans", I would say take a hard look at carbon steel. All of the properties of cooking with cast at about a 1/3 the weight. I have made the switch and couldn't be happier. Lodge makes one but there are others as well. Matfer Bourgeat & de Buyer make really good ones. I would go with the 11+ incher if it is for more than just yourself. You can use them anywhere. Once seasoned they are as good as non-stick. Good luck!
GeoSing,
I have been using a Bedourie Cooker (spun steel heavy gage ) as of late. So far, it does work well and less weight. Vance.

Reactions: GeoSing

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Back when I first started camping without adults, I had three pieces of camping gear:
1) a sleeping bag
2) 14" cast iron skillet
3) an aluminum percolator coffee pot

Over the years I bought numerous camp stoves tents, pots and pans sticktly for camping. But I always go back to the simple cast iron skillet, perc, and sleeping bag. I just bought my first dutch oven that Im looking forward to use next spring.

I cook evetything in cast iron, from spaghetti (llast night) to beef stroganoff (tonights supper) to the infamous egggs and bacon. I alos find frying taters easiest in cast iron.

PatricL

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Copper Springs Drive, Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Patric
Last Name
Lassiter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7TJA
Wow! Learn something new everyday! Thank you! I'll have to try one of these.

Youtube video on cooking and seasoning

Reactions: GeoSing

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I bring depending on how long, where and who I'm camping with 2 cast iron skillets, at least 1 dutch oven and my "breakfast skillet". ;))