Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Wondering about this primarily for the continental US but it might apply to other areas. With the abundance of ATMs and places that accept cards, I very rarely carry cash anymore (other than a small, emergency bill or two).

Has anyone run into any problems during there travels in the US where they got into a bind because they couldn't use a card and, instead, needed cash?

Reactions: JungleSkunk

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I got into a habit of not carrying cash while travelling. I am currently on vacation in the Southern USA and was hit by a skimming device at a questionable gas station while pumping gas and my account was compromised.

Its always safe to have a little cash on hand just in case. It is also noted that getting fuel after hours with a credit or debit card (even an emergency prepaid debit card) works great at some stations when you can pay at the pumps.

I think both have its benefits and drawbacks.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I got into a habit of not carrying cash while travelling. I am currently on vacation in the Southern USA and was hit by a skimming device at a questionable gas station while pumping gas and my account was compromised.

Its always safe to have a little cash on hand just in case. It is also noted that getting fuel after hours with a credit or debit card (even an emergency prepaid debit card) works great at some stations when you can pay at the pumps.

Agreed. Both have benefits and drawbacks... And I should probably prepare better as I am certainly in the habit of not carrying cash while traveling.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
not even traveling far ive ran into the issue of a small gas station having their internet down and only accepting cash . I think it's always good to carry cash when traveling around . It may sound a little paranoid but never fully trust technology.
While I know it can happen, it still surprises me when it does.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

YES! especially rural communities. For example this last trip some issues happened where a former customer of mine (I'm a cop) got out of prison and was working at a local tire shop. Well I found this out after I called and talked to the owner while sitting on the side of the road in rural Missouri searching for my wheel and tire that had flown off and went down a 200 ft ravine. I know, bad on me for not checking torque and stuff, but I trusted the shop and didn't think twice about it. Well the tow truck driver only took cash. The hotel he took us to only took cash. THE RESTAURAUNT we walked to only took cash. Luckily the driver took us 30 miles to the nearest ATM. I will always carry cash after that experience.

Reactions: Welding Goats

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
YES! especially rural communities. For example this last trip some issues happened where a former customer of mine (I'm a cop) got out of prison and was working at a local tire shop. Well I found this out after I called and talked to the owner while sitting on the side of the road in rural Missouri searching for my wheel and tire that had flown off and went down a 200 ft ravine. I know, bad on me for not checking torque and stuff, but I trusted the shop and didn't think twice about it. Well the tow truck driver only took cash. The hotel he took us to only took cash. THE RESTAURAUNT we walked to only took cash. Luckily the driver took us 30 miles to the nearest ATM. I will always carry cash after that experience.
LOL... "... former customer ..." Glad you were okay though.

I'm just wondering how many of these "cash only" places are still around in the US... Apparently, more than I would have thought in the rural areas.

Reactions: BlueLineOverland

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I tried to make it as politically correct as possible hahahaha. Yea thankfully it was icy out and was going fairly slow. I happened on a hill in the middle of rural Missouri at about 2100 lol the tow truck driver was straight out of the movie Harrold and Kumar go to white castle hahaha. I know there's a lot out west if you're going from Colorado to Vegas. We ran into a lot out there and they were the only services within 250-300 miles. No ATM and restroom for customers only hahaha I've encountered some pretty sketchy places in my travels lol. Cash only motel in Kansas where the only refreshments was a beer machine that dispensed tall boys of Coors original, miller, bud, and the only form of security was a hand written sign that said 21 and over only hahahaha I was only 19 at the time. You can probably guess how that turned out hahaha

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

LOL... "... former customer ..." Glad you were okay though.

I'm just wondering how many of these "cash only" places are still around in the US... Apparently, more than I would have thought in the rural areas.
I dont think rural has everything to do with it although it is probably more prevalent in rural areas.. Some places simply just dont take credit cards.

There are plenty of the "bodega" type gas stations around Tampa here that dont take cards. One of my favorite sandwich shops in Colorado only takes cash and they are slammed with a line out the door every day.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

I always carry some cash...99% of traveling and camping can be done on credit cards, but I've run into a few paces where I needed a LP tank fill and the only place around only took cash. This is typical in very remote areas and a lot of little stores just don't want to fool with having to pay fees for credit card use.

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I carry both.

We got on the Dave Ramsey kick a few years ago, and don’t put anything on credit.

I carry my allotted spending cash on me, and save for larger items using the envelope system.

When out and about I pay with the cash on hand. If it’s a situation that requires a card, I use my debit card, and reimburse myself with the cash I would have spent had they place or person accepted cash.

Side note - things like gas are purchased via debit card at the pump, but budgeted for in our monthly budget.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Always should have a small stash of cash readily available. Cards are great for purchasing gas and such due to the security of them, but you should always carry a decent amount of cash when traveling as well. You'd be surprised at what people will do for a little bit of cold, hard cash.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

my wife & I are nomads when it becomes overlanding, we carry cash on our trips, we only own 1 credit card & it's uses is only for emergency cases only. We never had an emergency issue with trips, yet. We are getting ready to leaving on our trip in 10 days weather permit. We will be running the Arkansas & Oklahoma Trans American Trail route & this trip we will be taking our time 10 to 12 days.

I just had my truck serviced (gone through thoroughly) & the mechanic found a questionable part: idler pulley for the serpentine belt (which I had him replace), while at it I suggested to replace all the hoses & dump all fluids. I believe thorough go over can eliminate costly repairs on the road. The mechanic said the pulley most likely would of gave us a issue in 500 to 1,000 miles. My trailer I repacked the wheel bearings, climbed under the chassis & gave it a thorough inspection to see if they were any cracked welds, loose bolts & nuts, the bolts that hold the RTT on the rack, & the hinge nuts to the RTT.

Soon as we get back from our trip, we are headed to Florida to pick up our new teardrop square back trailer which that trip will be over 900 miles. I paid cash for the trailer (which they gave me a cash discount) but I'll start taking the suspension off & removing the tongue to fabricate a new & longer tongue & install offroad suspension, rims, tires & other modifications (be a project).

I feel that pre-trip preparation can reduce or eliminate problems especially as the wife & I are loners on the trail (which we prefer) so we try to remove any issue & increase our odds of zero issues. No I didn't order the Hiker (which we wanted) the turn around on a Hiker is over a year.
51482017_2043118645736999_7684894968808210432_n.jpg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I have run into this problem many times both CONUS and OCONUS.

Always go cash and keep the card for emergencies(IE truck repair or hospital)

In my experiences I had communicated travel plans to the card company and they still flagged for fraud. Both times were on the weekend and/or without cellular coverage to contact. If I had not had cash I would have been screwed. One trip I only had US currency and a couple cards that didn’t work. I was lucky enough to barely communicate that I was in need of help and they took my US cash.

Don’t count on cards working but always bring them. Many countries don’t know how to deal with US insurance and if you need medical attention will have to pay in advance regardless of your CONUS coverage.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ive had my card numbers stolen 3 times. None have been while I was traveling. ALL were gas stations. I did get my cards shut off during a trip because the bank was being cautious. They had called me right away. Too bad they only had my house phone. Now they have my cell. I didn't worry about it till I got home. Payed cash for fuel.

Two years ago, I attended the Black Hat convention in Vegas (Hacking convention). One of the seminars was how credit card numbers are taken. Without getting technical, all that has to happen is, when the card readers are installed, the person in charge of the station doesn't change the default admin user and password. You can grab the card info remotely over the wifi. I wont use my card at fuel stations anymore.

Scott

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I use cash, mostly.
Card for overnight accommodations, parks, campground, hotel, motel or breakdown repair expense.

I don't carry more than $100/150.00 cash and use the card at banks to get more. I never use non bank ATM's

I can't tolerate folks who pay for soda, gum or trivial items with a card. A waste of time and resources.

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
My experience was not in the USA, but in Canada. Been there 2x. First time I did currency exchange, company credit card, and personal credit card. Besides the hit you take on cash exchanges, any money not spent is another loss if you exchange back to US currency. In Canada, they will take American money on a 1 to 1 basis because they keep a extra 35% or so from the exchange rate. But of course not the other way.
On credit cards....Visa and MasterCard are a go. Discover is hit and miss. Stores like Wal-Mart and target, along with the large chain stores accept them, but smaller mom and pops, not so much. I went to a Burger King, and the clerk had not even heard of discover card. Another benefit to a CC, is that the card company will automatically apply the currency rate to your purchase. So a dollar spent might only show for example a 65 cent charge. Never never use a debit card on the road. Use the built in protections a CC will give.
Travelers checks, good luck. They are a thing of the past. My mom spent 2 hrs plus....At her bank,....redeeming some older ones she found. They knew her as a customer for years.

On my 2nd trip, just used a CC, for almost all my purchases, and on another note, paid a extra $10 on my cell phone for a month, to get international calling. A very cheap alternative to phone cards or ala-carte phone minutes.

As others have said, having both just makes sense. It covers all aspects of a trip for unforseen emergencys.