Superfishal

Rank III

Advocate I

Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Alan
Got a new Wrangler Unlimited and am going to purchase a Hardshell RTT. These are my 3 finalist. Anyone have any real world experience with these and want to share?

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

CVT and Roofnest are the same tent. I think the CVT is cheaper and I don't love roofnest's customer service. I can speak to CVT though where I called them once to order just a hat and they were amazing people. That's about the best feedback I can give you but I just sold my roofnest and traded up for a gofast superlight.

Reactions: E_Vera

Mkollman74

Rank 0

Traveler I

Washington
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kollman
I have the iKamper 2.0, and in a word (or two) - its awesome. Fairly spendy, but extremely high quality and reliable. Its comfortable and yet relatively light for a four person tent. I am happy with my choice.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I have the iKamper 2.0, and in a word (or two) - its awesome. Fairly spendy, but extremely high quality and reliable. Its comfortable and yet relatively light for a four person tent. I am happy with my choice.
How do you feel about the interior size and set-up/break down of the iKamper? I have a CVT Mt. Denali so it's HUGE!! But i've been thinking i'd like to switch to a hard shell for the ease of set up and stuff, mainly in inclement weather situations.

Mkollman74

Rank 0

Traveler I

Washington
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kollman
How do you feel about the interior size and set-up/break down of the iKamper? I have a CVT Mt. Denali so it's HUGE!! But i've been thinking i'd like to switch to a hard shell for the ease of set up and stuff, mainly in inclement weather situations.
Setup and takedown are stupid simple and fast. My wife usually helps, but there is really no need for her to. Solo i can set it up and do takedown quite quickly.

Reactions: Lil Bear

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I have the iKamper 2.0 and love it mainly because it folds out to a King side bed. Setup is a minute and folding the same.

I have to do a little more work on tear down since I have to fold the exped mattress, double sleeping bags, and pillow the right way to make it fit. Tight but doable.

Biggest drawback to me is once you are setup you are pretty much stuck there unless you want to fold it back.

Weight is also a negative sitting at 165lb, but for the size of the bed I love it.

Attachments

Reactions: Lil Bear

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shoreline, Washington 98155, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

I have the iKamper 2.0 and love it mainly because it folds out to a King side bed. Setup is a minute and folding the same.

I have to do a little more work on tear down since I have to fold the exped mattress, double sleeping bags, and pillow the right way to make it fit. Tight but doable.

Biggest drawback to me is once you are setup you are pretty much stuck there unless you want to fold it back.

Weight is also a negative sitting at 165lb, but for the size of the bed I love it.
Which exped and what kind of sleeping bags do you use? Curious because I know how tight it is and I didn’t think you could leave much of anything in there and still close it. Granted we use a fat cabelas bag in our skycamp right now. But I would love to be able to leave a mattress and bedding inside for convenience.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Which exped and what kind of sleeping bags do you use? Curious because I know how tight it is and I didn’t think you could leave much of anything in there and still close it. Granted we use a fat cabelas bag in our skycamp right now. But I would love to be able to leave a mattress and bedding inside for convenience.
I have an exped megamat 10 and megamat duo. The sleeping bag is a Sierra design backcountry bed 2 person bag.

What I day is fold the duo, fold the single and put it all the way against the hinge. The 2 pillows go on the hump side and the sleeping bag is spread down the exped. I try to keep everything behind the struts.

May take some force but folded right it works every time.

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

I have an exped megamat 10 and megamat duo. The sleeping bag is a Sierra design backcountry bed 2 person bag.

What I day is fold the duo, fold the single and put it all the way against the hinge. The 2 pillows go on the hump side and the sleeping bag is spread down the exped. I try to keep everything behind the struts.

May take some force but folded right it works every time.
This is super helpful, thank you!!

Reactions: PonoAdventures

buz1nonly

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, CA
Member #

I use a strap with a hook and attach it to the rack on the hinge side of the tent. Throw the strap over the hardshell after you have initially closed it (~6inches remain opened) and make sure all the tent and the closing lines are tucked in nicely. On the bottom of the strap I made a loop that is 6 inches off the ground when the tent is fully closed. I put one foot in and step down to close the hard shell and attach the locks to secure the tent. Repeat for the other side. No more struggling with closing the ikamper tent considering what I keep inside.

I keep 3 sleeping bags, 3 pillows, 2 heat blankets, and the insulation kit (winter time) in the tent. I also arrange everything flat and near the hinge and mostly on the hump side as mentioned before.

Cheers!

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

I use a strap with a hook and attach it to the rack on the hinge side of the tent. Throw the strap over the hardshell after you have initially closed it (~6inches remain opened) and make sure all the tent and the closing lines are tucked in nicely. On the bottom of the strap I made a loop that is 6 inches off the ground when the tent is fully closed. I put one foot in and step down to close the hard shell and attach the locks to secure the tent. Repeat for the other side. No more struggling with closing the ikamper tent considering what I keep inside.

I keep 3 sleeping bags, 3 pillows, 2 heat blankets, and the insulation kit (winter time) in the tent. I also arrange everything flat and near the hinge and mostly on the hump side as mentioned before.

Cheers!
That foot strap is a really good idea. It’s so hard to get enough leverage pulling down by the lock straps. I’ve got webbing with hooks so I’m definitely going give that a shot as well.

buz1nonly

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, CA
Member #

I should've mentioned I use one of my ratcheting straps (remove the ratchet) and the strap has the hook already and make my own loop. :)

That foot strap is a really good idea. It’s so hard to get enough leverage pulling down by the lock straps. I’ve got webbing with hooks so I’m definitely going give that a shot as well.