Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A few days ago I was gassing up in some small town in New Mexico. A fellow walked up and complimented our cruiser, trailer and set up. We talked a bit about off grid camping, where we’d been, etc. out of the blue he asked me if I carried? I took off my sunglasses looking him straight in the eye and said, dude, I quit smoking weed back in the late 70s. LOL, but he didn’t think it funny and walked off in a huff.

Todd S.

Rank VII
Investor

Navigator I

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Sacchi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YWP
A few days ago I was gassing up in some small town in New Mexico. A fellow walked up and complimented our cruiser, trailer and set up. We talked a bit about off grid camping, where we’d been, etc. out of the blue he asked me if I carried? I took off my sunglasses looking him straight in the eye and said, dude, I quit smoking weed back in the late 70s. LOL, but he didn’t think it funny and walked off in a huff.
That is a great response. You never ask a person that question unless your a cop.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
At first, I thought you were referencing a weapon. That would have really got me suspicious. I think the other stuff is legal in N.M. now. He was probably going to give you a discount card to his dispensary!

• Haha
Reactions: 9Mike2 and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Welkn
At first, I thought you were referencing a weapon. That would have really got me suspicious. I think the other stuff is legal in N.M. now. He was probably going to give you a discount card to his dispensary!
well Ya, he was referencing a weapon, as my wife would say noneyabusness

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
He was suggesting that you carry there. Concerned for your well being. Or at least, was.

Don't mess with the locals, or they build a Halloween La La road block ahead:
1651509540598.jpeg

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Arailt

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
@Magic Mike, I am sure you have a comment about this.
Yeah he probably meant are you armed, but as most people here have said, “none your business buddy.”

I would never discuss this subject with a total stranger! It could have been a totally innocent question, or he could have been probing you!

Either way better to keep them guessing. People are afraid of the unknown

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
NM is one of the few states that is NOT reciprocal with my state. I’m going to UT in a few weeks and will probably buzz right thru NM. One of those states with mixed up politics.
You’ll be missing out then, too bad. But then again, that’s good. We’ve experienced 5 different primitive campsites in the past week and have encountered only a couple of people. The less people in the back country the better. Oddly enough we have cell service at our current sight, along with several bighorns, jack rabbits and other such critters. So far no aliens, but I am hopeful.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Great response.

Reactions: 9Mike2

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Great response.
Thank you- I thought it to be hilarious. Then again, Spending so much time alone in various camps with only my wife to bounce off of, I’ve developed a different sense of humor concerning the rat race and all of its participants! LOL

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

You’ll be missing out then, too bad. But then again, that’s good. We’ve experienced 5 different primitive campsites in the past week and have encountered only a couple of people. The less people in the back country the better. Oddly enough we have cell service at our current sight, along with several bighorns, jack rabbits and other such critters. So far no aliens, but I am hopeful.
See, if you think I passed thru without stopping, my scheme worked:)

Or, I just need to stay inside the vehicle:)

Reactions: MOAK

Lothar

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Richland, WA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Bloom
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm a backpacker as well and it seems like the firearm question routinely comes up. I think some folks have a heightened fear of being attacked by bears/mountain lions that's been spurred on by Hollywood. There have been attacks and fatalities for sure, but the risk is exceptionally low.

In Germany, negative wildlife encounters were with wild boar (they are legitimately scary) and foxes. In the US, it has overwhelmingly been mice. I know the chances aren't zero but I've never felt threatened in any of my bear encounters, and with the singular mountain lion, it was pure luck that we saw it at all as it was beating feet.

I find the further I get away from civilization, the prevalence of two legged predators drops dramatically and the folks I run into are overwhelmingly courteous and friendly. At a gas station, it's a crapshoot.
As to whether or not I would disclose if I was packing would depend on the vibe I was getting from that person and the context of how I encountered them. I'm not blanketly opposed to having the conversation with someone who's interested in discussing the safety aspects of the backcountry but I'm not going to show my hand to someone who appears to be probing me as a potential target.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I find the further I get away from civilization, the prevalence of two legged predators drops dramatically and the folks I run into are overwhelmingly courteous and friendly.
Yes , yes & yes! It’s odd actually, we just finished a 2 week tour of the 4 corners region’s states, minus Colorado. We encountered maybe, as I recall, 10 or 12 people. I’m always asking myself, where o where are any of the OB members? I never run into any of em?