Carry Bag For Cast Iron Griddle?

• HTML tutorial

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I picked a Lodge cast iron reversible griddle/grill last year. I'd like to have a bag of some sort to store it in while in the kitchen box, to keep it from being scratched and/or keep the oil of off other items. Some time ago, I saw someone making carry bags for cast iron stuff, but I didn't bookmark it and now I don't remember where I saw it. The only thing I can find now is this.

Has anyone seen something like that? Failing that, how do you all store your cast iron in your kitchen/chuck boxes?

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

i wonder if they make a reusable vacuum packer bag you could use... one that is maybe silicon so cleanable on inside... A handheld shopvac could seal the reusable bag up thus taking up the least amount of room... just an idea... Actually if you dried it off well after cleaning, you could just put a light towel over it and put in those vacum packer bags... done!

Last edited:

4WLO

Rank 0

Traveler I

Not so much just for the griddle but I carry my griddle with my stove and large cutting board(size of the griddle). The cutting board separates the stove and griddle. All three are carried in a gutted dewalt sawsall box. I lay in a strip of dense foam on top to keep everything tight and rattle free.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Not so much just for the griddle but I carry my griddle with my stove and large cutting board(size of the griddle). The cutting board separates the stove and griddle. All three are carried in a gutted dewalt sawsall box. I lay in a strip of dense foam on top to keep everything tight and rattle free.
Great idea!

whistlepunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
DAVID
Last Name
LAVINSKI
Member #

Pretty much the same - keep it all together. I have the Camp Chef Everest and a griddle all in the Camp Chef bag separated by a piece of the foam you use for floor mats

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

The little cheapo Stansport stuff sack I got worked well. I'll get several uses out of it, and when it comes time to replace it, they're only $5. Also, I just got one of these. There's plenty of room to put the griddle in with the stove. I'm going to get a piece of foam to put between them, though.

whistlepunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
DAVID
Last Name
LAVINSKI
Member #

The little cheapo Stansport stuff sack I got worked well. I'll get several uses out of it, and when it comes time to replace it, they're only $5. Also, I just got one of these. There's plenty of room to put the griddle in with the stove. I'm going to get a piece of foam to put between them, though.

Here is how my setup currently looks. We got the Camp Chef bag to go with our Everst stove and sandwiched the grill plate between 2 pieces of foam. If the grill gets to dirty in camp we just wrap it up in a garage bag before putting it in the bag .

Since we had some extra foam ( we got the floor mats from habour freight) we add a piece to the top of the stove and cut one to protect the knobs somewhat. Gives it a bit of protection in the back of the Jeep.IMG_20180531_094912174.jpg IMG_20180531_094925438.jpg IMG_20180531_094947649.jpg

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

I picked a Lodge cast iron reversible griddle/grill last year. I'd like to have a bag of some sort to store it in while in the kitchen box, to keep it from being scratched and/or keep the oil of off other items. Some time ago, I saw someone making carry bags for cast iron stuff, but I didn't bookmark it and now I don't remember where I saw it. The only thing I can find now is this.

Has anyone seen something like that? Failing that, how do you all store your cast iron in your kitchen/chuck boxes?
I too have tried this but gave up cause it just didn't fit anywhere and I often found heating the whole thing was un-needed. That said, that guy in Australia is making some pretty handy looking custom bags. Check him out Drifta.com.au. I bet he would be happy to design one. I for one would buy it but never thought to ask.
--
Rick

Reactions: Quicksilver

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

If you are looking for a cover for the Lodge reversible pro griddle check out the griddle sleeve made by Cooke Custom Sewing. They make a ton of gear for those of us the do the Boundary Waters canoe wildernesss, it is well made.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
If you are looking for a cover for the Lodge reversible pro griddle check out the griddle sleeve made by Cooke Custom Sewing. They make a ton of gear for those of us the do the Boundary Waters canoe wildernesss, it is well made.
Picked up a griddle cover at a IFA farm store.

Places that might/Will have them most likely are.....
Cabellas
Bass pro
Cal Ranch
Others that sell more than the minimum cast iron options.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
My wife used old towels and sewed sleeves (bags) for our cast.
I did something like this too.. I used an old heavy wool army blanket and made two bags one holds a gas stove and extra can of fuel. The other one has two dividers the pan goes in the bottom the next divider holds a trivet and handle the top slot holds the lid and it has a flap that closes the opening with a velcro fastener. The wool keeps things quiet and can also be used as a pot holder or a place mat to set a hot pan on. All this fits into a medium size tote with all of the camp kitchen stuff.

Reactions: TexasGMG